Idea

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

rodneyboy

Idea

Postby rodneyboy » January 11th, 2017, 3:03 pm

http://www.crawleyobserver.co.uk/sport/ ... -1-7767533
Pay what you can.Might be worth a try.
User

daftasfxxx

Newport

Re: Idea

Postby daftasfxxx » January 11th, 2017, 3:57 pm

Not this again, do remind me how did Fleetwood for a fiver work out?
no avatar
User

rncfc

Cwmbran

Postby rncfc » January 11th, 2017, 4:10 pm

daftasfxxx wrote:Not this again, do remind me how did Fleetwood for a fiver work out?

Agree it's unlikely to work. I think the only chance something like this has of working is at the start of a season.

Weather is good, beer tents are open, people are looking forward to the new season. Charge £5 for the North Terrace for the first 4 games and I think you'd get a good take-up. Then if any time in the next 150 years we actually have a decent run of wins, these people might come back when the prices go up.

For me, I find it massively frustrating that we have around 7,000 empty spaces every home game. I'd far prefer to give 3,500 tickets away to school kids with a voucher which entitles the parents to entry for a fiver. Didn't we do it for Notts County and practically double our crowd? If each of these kids buys a programme and a hot dog it's better than nothing.
User

lowandhardandinthecorner

Rank

Forum Patron!

Peoples Republic of Malpas

Postby lowandhardandinthecorner » January 11th, 2017, 4:23 pm

rncfc wrote:
daftasfxxx wrote:Not this again, do remind me how did Fleetwood for a fiver work out?

Agree it's unlikely to work. I think the only chance something like this has of working is at the start of a season.

Weather is good, beer tents are open, people are looking forward to the new season. Charge £5 for the North Terrace for the first 4 games and I think you'd get a good take-up. Then if any time in the next 150 years we actually have a decent run of wins, these people might come back when the prices go up.

For me, I find it massively frustrating that we have around 7,000 empty spaces every home game. I'd far prefer to give 3,500 tickets away to school kids with a voucher which entitles the parents to entry for a fiver. Didn't we do it for Notts County and practically double our crowd? If each of these kids buys a programme and a hot dog it's better than nothing.

Agree we need to try harder but as you say, now is definitely not the time unless we want to turn them off football together!
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

MT

Postby Exile 1976 » January 11th, 2017, 4:25 pm

It could help prevent truancy though if we threaten the kids with free tickets to watch us if they don't go to school!
no avatar
User

Collars

Postby Collars » January 11th, 2017, 4:51 pm

I seem to recall the Football League have some silly rules around how many promotions you can run each season or that they have to be available to both home and away fans. Seems stupid to me if it stops clubs from trying to be proactive!
no avatar
User

BertieB

Postby BertieB » January 11th, 2017, 6:36 pm

After this debacle of a season and seeing the treatment that the County are getting at Rodney Parade I would rather see Newport County go back to non league than to waste what cash they still have, if any, by trying to get fair play at Rodney Parade- the number of times it has been quoted that according to someone or other , the football team MUST have priority over any other user, of the pitch The County are home Saturday, if the pitch is OK,----So.?.......... lo and behold , the drag......ons are playing on Friday evening !!! There's nothing like giving the surface time to settle,!!! and just to make certain that it doesn't we'll turn the heavy mob loose on it !!-- I am fully aware that it IS a "ruggah" pitch, but it doesn't take a genius to work out that THREE teams playing on it is way to much !!
Come on the Port..................Bob Bassett
no avatar
User

excessbee

Postby excessbee » January 11th, 2017, 6:49 pm

A couple of seasons back, Southend United played home games on Friday night. This was obviously with the proviso that their opponents agreed to the switch and I think the majority did so. Maybe if we wanted first dibs on a weekend, we could go down that line. However, I expect televised rugby would rule that out.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Postby George Street-Bridge » January 12th, 2017, 10:44 am

Collars wrote:I seem to recall the Football League have some silly rules around how many promotions you can run each season or that they have to be available to both home and away fans. Seems stupid to me if it stops clubs from trying to be proactive!

Yes, it's this rule
34.2.11 Discounts or special promotions (in each case for one match only) made available to supporters of the Home Club must also be made available on a similar basis to visiting supporters provided always that each Club shall be permitted to designate four (4) Matches per Season as ‘local promotion’ Matches where this Regulation shall be deemed not to apply. Clubs shall notify The League of the Matches so designated as and when they are designated.

Usually when someone says "Why doesn't the club try..." it turns out to be something they wouldn't be allowed to.
User

Tony Soprano

np2o

Postby Tony Soprano » January 12th, 2017, 11:52 am

BertieB wrote:After this debacle of a season and seeing the treatment that the County are getting at Rodney Parade I would rather see Newport County go back to non league than to waste what cash they still have, if any, by trying to get fair play at Rodney Parade- the number of times it has been quoted that according to someone or other , the football team MUST have priority over any other user, of the pitch The County are home Saturday, if the pitch is OK,----So.?.......... lo and behold , the drag......ons are playing on Friday evening !!! There's nothing like giving the surface time to settle,!!! and just to make certain that it doesn't we'll turn the heavy mob loose on it !!-- I am fully aware that it IS a "ruggah" pitch, but it doesn't take a genius to work out that THREE teams playing on it is way to much !!
Come on the Port..................Bob Bassett

Ffs top that glass up Bertie, it's half empty again :shock:
User

Amberexile

Sheffield

Postby Amberexile » January 12th, 2017, 1:03 pm

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Collars wrote:I seem to recall the Football League have some silly rules around how many promotions you can run each season or that they have to be available to both home and away fans. Seems stupid to me if it stops clubs from trying to be proactive!

Yes, it's this rule
34.2.11 Discounts or special promotions (in each case for one match only) made available to supporters of the Home Club must also be made available on a similar basis to visiting supporters provided always that each Club shall be permitted to designate four (4) Matches per Season as ‘local promotion’ Matches where this Regulation shall be deemed not to apply. Clubs shall notify The League of the Matches so designated as and when they are designated.

Usually when someone says "Why doesn't the club try..." it turns out to be something they wouldn't be allowed to.

My reading of this is that as long as we tell the league in advance, we can adopt whatever pricing we want for home fans and still charge full price to away fans up to 4 times in each season.