Re: News today? (Charlie Cooper & Keanu Marsh-Brown )

Percy plunkett wrote:
Bush wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:Another two year contract.We may get to regret some of these.He is a wide attacking player who is likely to take Lamars place in the squad.A pity as I feel the boy has pace to burn and could be good if given a chance.
I think Reynolds is closer to Albion rovers than he is league two.
Are you happy with these two year contracts?
Good question. I am happy with Franks , I think he is the type of player who you know what you are going to get. Matt seems on a downward spiral but might just need an arm around his shoulder. Marsh Brown if reinvigorated , we could sell on, but there is also a chance it could go the other way.

Alan G Bryant wrote:
Bush wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:So I make that
Marsh Brown for Nouble
Matt for Jackson
Cooper for TOE
Franks for Turley

It is always hard to see how players integrate and settle in a new team, but I would say on paper and based on those swaps, that makes our squad stronger so far.
On that basis then what you are saying is the next load of signings will be of a higher quality to replace white, tozer, maclausky and potentially labadie? If that’s the case then it will be a good season. If the latest signings who are fine and I don’t have a problem with are the highest quality we are signing then we won’t be stronger than last season.
Who knows?. However, the lack of depth in our squad last season is what cost us. Rigg , Reynolds ,TOE, Jalrado, Quigley , Cole, Jackson, Osadabie and JBB were all passengers as Flynn clearly did not fancy them, admittedly some he signed, but that is a lot of dead wood and hopefully Flynn has a better idea of the depth required this season.

Mclousky was excellent as a substitute but few could argue he was a 90 minute player. White was a phenomenal signing much like Karl Darlow and one that new players should not be compared to in my view. Tozer is the biggest loss and more so than Labadie, Joss, for all his gusto really only had a golden 4 months from October 17 to January 18 and in retrospect he downed tools after Tottenham. He has actually only played 44 games in two years, not in the same league as Mark Byrne.

If Flynn can get his next few signings right and use his loan signings better on the whole, our squad is shaping up to be much stronger than last seasons.
I’m guessing that confirms labadie isn’t staying! You have gone from having a pop at anyone who said the club shouldn’t be offering labadie a contract to Now saying he downed tools after spurs!

Percy plunkett wrote:
Bush wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:Another two year contract.We may get to regret some of these.He is a wide attacking player who is likely to take Lamars place in the squad.A pity as I feel the boy has pace to burn and could be good if given a chance.
I think Reynolds is closer to Albion rovers than he is league two.
Are you happy with these two year contracts?
Nope. But I’ve never been happy with too many 2 year contracts in the squad. Especially players on the slide. Apart from proven performers like Mickey D and amond, or players with potential value like butler, or the academy kids I see no reason any players should be on 2 year deals.

Alan G Bryant wrote:Have to disagree on the subject of two year contracts I am afraid. After witnessing the catastrophic effect of mass summer clear outs on two consecutive occasions, I think it is imperative that six or seven of the squad are settled for the following season. Not only that , players on 1 year contracts tend to take their foot off the gas as spring approaches, as we have also witnessed.
I hate to admit it but I totally agree. Tying down the core of the team is imperative. You’re bound to get one or two players who looking back you wish you hadn’t given longer contracts to but that’s life.