Re: BREAK EVEN FOR THIS SEASON

flat4 wrote:Judging by what has been said over the last few months, our home gate numbers would have to exceed 3k to BREAK EVEN. Things are going to be very tight this season, I just hope that this up and coming meeting the BOD have a plan of action to move forward.
Given that the latest minutes say 75% of recent survey would prefer a 'hybrid' type ownership model , I assume the BOD will be obliged to pursue that avenue for future investors. But are there any potential investors out there? I'm very sceptical.

flat4 wrote:Judging by what has been said over the last few months, our home gate numbers would have to exceed 3k to BREAK EVEN. Things are going to be very tight this season, I just hope that this up and coming meeting the BOD have a plan of action to move forward.
We "broke even" last year didn't we ??
Just need another cup run , and if we're fighting towards the top of the League , with bigger crowds , I'm sure we'll get a few more TV games to boost the coffers .
We obviously need investment longer term as us supporters were never going to put in enough to see us progress .
If the team do well 2 seasons in a row , that will grab attention from all over , TV and investors/sponsors .
If every one of our "hardcore" 2,500 ish regulars can persuade A N Other to come over a few times a season , all the better .
I've certainly done it last season and already this season as well .
The number of local football supporters who are not "regular" attendees that have commented on how good this season's kits look is fantastic ! We just need a bigger presence out and about to convert them into regulars , spending their hard earned .....
UTC

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Given that the latest minutes say 75% of recent survey would prefer a 'hybrid' type ownership model , I assume the BOD will be obliged to pursue that avenue for future investors. But are there any potential investors out there? I'm very sceptical.
It is great news that the majority of fans have voted for the business hybrid model, Indeed a perfect oppurtunity for PMG and his chummies to step in. According to our friend they were outraged they were denied an opportunity to take over a club laden with unknown debt so I am sure they will be chomping at the bit to step in with £200k in the coffers and well over a third of Les's debt already paid off.

What an opportunity, and more importantly, what is stopping them now?

Exactly correct. What do we have to offer any potential investors? As far as I can see the answer is nothing.
Our only hope is a benefactor who might want to keep the club going and possibly provide enough money for future development. As we have seen with out last benefactor that course is fraught with danger.
What really worries me is that without a once in maybe 15 Year cup run like last year, our losses would have been c.£500K for last season.
How many years can we absorb those sort of losses. Three, maybe 4, or until our lease expires at RP.
Sadly we will require someone like Terry Matthews for us to develop as a successful league club. We can but pray.
The reality is that we might find local benefactors who will be able to fund a club at Connie South level.
That scenario really depresses me but I can't see a viable alternative. The only possible solution lies with the Council. Will they find a ground for us. Problem is they probably have less spare cash than us right now.

allontheamber wrote:Exactly correct. What do we have to offer any potential investors? As far as I can see the answer is nothing.
Our only hope is a benefactor who might want to keep the club going and possibly provide enough money for future development. As we have seen with out last benefactor that course is fraught with danger.
What really worries me is that without a once in maybe 15 Year cup run like last year, our losses would have been c.£500K for last season.
How many years can we absorb those sort of losses. Three, maybe 4, or until our lease expires at RP.
Sadly we will require someone like Terry Matthews for us to develop as a successful league club. We can but pray.
The reality is that we might find local benefactors who will be able to fund a club at Connie South level.
That scenario really depresses me but I can't see a viable alternative. The only possible solution lies with the Council. Will they find a ground for us. Problem is they probably have less spare cash than us right now.
5,000 proud Newport supporters donating just under £10 a month would cover that shortfall and some years it would not be needed. We currently donate under £40k a year and are about to put our club back in the hands of the business men who are probably going to loan the club money, so we can start the cycle all over again.
Last edited by Alan G Bryant on August 16th, 2018, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
The survey was open to all supporters, and it was technically possible to vote more than once.
Any actual change in the model would have to be put to a vote of TRUST MEMBERS ONLY, where a majority of 75% would be required.
It would be really good if a clear picture of the potential outcomes could be put to members before any formal vote takes place. I assume the September meeting is where we'll be told exactly what each option actually looks like before voting.
I also hope there'll be a qualifying date before which one would need to have been a member to qualify to vote.

Alan G Bryant wrote: 5,000 proud Newport supporters donating just under £10 a month would cover that shortfall and some years it would not be needed. We currently donate under £40k a year and are about to put our club back in the hands of the business men who are probably going to loan the club money, so we can start the cycle all over again.
Five thousand people donating £10 a month when the football club attracts about 2000 fewer than that to actually watch them provide something in return for their money? Not going to happen.

Alan G Bryant wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
It is great news that the majority of fans have voted for the business hybrid model, Indeed a perfect oppurtunity for PMG and his chummies to step in. According to our friend they were outraged they were denied an opportunity to take over a club laden with unknown debt so I am sure they will be chomping at the bit to step in with £200k in the coffers and well over a third of Les's debt already paid off.

What an opportunity, and more importantly, what is stopping them now?
^^^This^^^

We all now have to except the Trust model is doomed because there's no enough appetite to fund the club we saved.

That's all it was - we saved the club for some 'hybrid' model partners to walk in to a virtually debt free club with a guaranteed FL income stream.

I do wonder if any of these future hybrid model partners are already on (the) Board?

SJG99 wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote: 5,000 proud Newport supporters donating just under £10 a month would cover that shortfall and some years it would not be needed. We currently donate under £40k a year and are about to put our club back in the hands of the business men who are probably going to loan the club money, so we can start the cycle all over again.
Five thousand people donating £10 a month when the football club attracts about 2000 fewer than that to actually watch them provide something in return for their money? Not going to happen.

Yes, but why should it not happen?

We had over 6,000 against Wrexham, 13,000 against York and could have sold Tottenham out twice over. If it was just £9 a month minimum for example, it is not unachievable. There are also so many bars, restaurants and coffee shops in the City that benefit from us playing at RP, but I wonder how many of these donate to our football club?

We have had some luck along the way, but the fact is that the majority of us have contributed just £30 over three years to own a football club and still we expect to challenge for the play offs when we contribute just £40k a year.

My personal view is that the ease and scale of the losses an average league 2 club can acquire will frighten off the Newport Business community. They also would be inheriting a club with no assets and a contract that seems so unclear. I do not know of many astute businessmen that would venture into something so vague.

I hope I am wrong, I just think that come October we will be on our own anyway.

Alan G Bryant wrote:
SJG99 wrote:

Yes, but why should it not happen?

We had over 6,000 against Wrexham, 13,000 against York and could have sold Tottenham out twice over. If it was just £9 a month minimum for example, it is not unachievable. There are also so many bars, restaurants and coffee shops in the City that benefit from us playing at RP, but I wonder how many of these donate to our football club?

We have had some luck along the way, but the fact is that the majority of us have contributed just £30 over three years to own a football club and still we expect to challenge for the play offs when we contribute just £40k a year.

My personal view is that the ease and scale of the losses an average league 2 club can acquire will frighten off the Newport Business community. They also would be inheriting a club with no assets and a contract that seems so unclear. I do not know of many astute businessmen that would venture into something so vague.

I hope I am wrong, I just think that come October we will be on our own anyway.
It won't happen because people don't want to pay it - quite evidently.

You come on here suggesting that people wanting private ownership are living in a dreamworld. Sorry mate, you're the only one in cloud cuckoo land with your Corbynesque view of everyone paying and fighting for a mutual cause. Dream on pal.

whoareya wrote:
^^^This^^^

We all now have to except the Trust model is doomed because there's no enough appetite to fund the club we saved.

That's all it was - we saved the club for some 'hybrid' model partners to walk in to a virtually debt free club with a guaranteed FL income stream.

I do wonder if any of these future hybrid model partners are already on (the) Board?

Agree entirely. The fans save the club. They are then kept in the dark. A consultation is held and we are informed that criteria is met for the hybrid board to take over. And just coincidentally we already have co-opted business people on the board.

And you know the real beauty? By calling it a hybrid board the real fans can continue to contribute money via the trust without having any say in any decision.

By the way, what did we used to argue about, because I'm f@cked if I can see any difference of opinion now?

What we needed was for the fans of the club to step up to the plate financially. What we needed is what I said all along, "1500 fans donating £30 a month"... trouble is, it was not focused on at the TIME. There was too much emphasis on the buying of shares, and not enough emphasis on the monthly donation ongoing. Many thought, and still do, that joining The Trust for a tenner is doing their bit. Joining the Trust gets you your right to vote & attend certain meetings, that's it. What ELSE will you do for the club? In a time when simply buying tickets and a bit of merchandise is not enough, we need fans who are willing to cough up monthly.
We have an average home fans figure of just over 3100..... now, as I've said before, around half of those will be children, seniors, students, low paid & unemployed, but the other half, the "financially able" half, have not stepped forward.
To paraphrase Chris Blight: "it's easier to ask 1500 people for £30 a month, than to ask one man for £500k"....and he is absolutely right.
For whatever reason, the fans who ARE able, have not been willing......and in a way, why should they, when you think of what we've been told:
... " there'll be much more transparency going forward, and we know we've fallen short on this so far. It will improve".....
... " you'll get more say on a range of issues"
... " there'll be regular meetings"....
...." there'll be regular updates ".....

If we ditch the model, we'll get even less say.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, we need a packaged monthly payment scheme to include Trust Membership, Match Ticket & Benefits & rewards donation. When we have that, perhaps we'll get the money we need monthly.
Those who wish to buy their Season Ticket up front could still do so.

newgroundrodney wrote:What we needed was for the fans of the club to step up to the plate financially. What we needed is what I said all along, "1500 fans donating £30 a month"... trouble is, it was not focused on at the TIME. There was too much emphasis on the buying of shares, and not enough emphasis on the monthly donation ongoing. Many thought, and still do, that joining The Trust for a tenner is doing their bit. Joining the Trust gets you your right to vote & attend certain meetings, that's it. What ELSE will you do for the club? In a time when simply buying tickets and a bit of merchandise is not enough, we need fans who are willing to cough up monthly.
We have an average home fans figure of just over 3100..... now, as I've said before, around half of those will be children, seniors, students, low paid & unemployed, but the other half, the "financially able" half, have not stepped forward.
To paraphrase Chris Blight: "it's easier to ask 1500 people for £30 a month, than to ask one man for £500k"....and he is absolutely right.
For whatever reason, the fans who ARE able, have not been willing......and in a way, why should they, when you think of what we've been told:
... " there'll be much more transparency going forward, and we know we've fallen short on this so far. It will improve".....
... " you'll get more say on a range of issues"
... " there'll be regular meetings"....
...." there'll be regular updates ".....

If we ditch the model, we'll get even less say.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, we need a packaged monthly payment scheme to include Trust Membership, Match Ticket & Benefits & rewards donation. When we have that, perhaps we'll get the money we need monthly.
Those who wish to buy their Season Ticket up front could still do so.
Hi,

I don't disagree with any of that but......

Unless supporters are engaged, informed and feel included they are not going to contribute. To put it succinctly. Would I donate £30 a month to Newport County? Yes. Would I donate £30 a month to Newport County the way they are run now? No.