Flynn to Lincoln?

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Re: Flynn to Lincoln?

Postby Percy plunkett » September 10th, 2019, 10:05 pm

Don't forget,everyone says we are a physical,long ball side who just rely on set pieces.What chairman would want his side like that.
no avatar
User

Triangle

With the Panthers

Postby Triangle » September 10th, 2019, 10:14 pm

Flynn has built his team and is executing his strategy. Why would he want to drop his baby now?

He would be starting from square 1 at Lincoln, where anything but positive progress would result in him being sacked due to their position in the table. Likelihood is that players would take time to adjust to the way Flynn wants the team to play and would drop points in that period. I think Flynn is a manager that goes and picks up a struggling team and improves performances and then builds on that in following seasons. I don't think Lincoln is a fit.
User

Mr Figo

Postby Mr Figo » September 11th, 2019, 8:03 am

Most of the Imps fans on the forum think that Flynny plays a too "direct style" of football. Have they not seen some of our games this season? Stay away Flynny!
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Postby George Street-Bridge » September 11th, 2019, 8:13 am

Whoever gets the job at Lincoln will be taking over from their most successful management team ever, it looks like a poisoned chalice.
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » September 11th, 2019, 9:35 am

We are going to have this every time a league 1 or championship job comes up ffs
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » September 11th, 2019, 10:00 am

UPTHEPORT wrote:We are going to have this every time a league 1 or championship job comes up ffs

You think? :grin:
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » September 11th, 2019, 10:14 am

George Street-Bridge wrote:Whoever gets the job at Lincoln will be taking over from their most successful management team ever, it looks like a poisoned chalice.

Thank heavens for this post. :grin:

Taking a side from a town like Lincoln from tier five to tier three and one superb Cup run is a strong achievement but Lincoln have often been a tier three side. As for poisoned chalice, I'm sure that there will be plenty of interest in the job. For me a poisoned chalice would be where there was an hidden structural flaw in the club and a previous manager who had had short term success which had papered over cracks.

I don't think any manager wishing to progress and having confidence in his ability would shy away from the Lincoln job. It remains my view that other than personal factors of which I know nothing, if Flynn were offered this job he'd be a fool not to take it.
no avatar
User

Goddard & woods

Lliswerry

Postby Goddard & woods » September 11th, 2019, 10:22 am

Really think its 50/50 if Flynn takes the Lincoln job the sway of his family being settled in the area and Newport born and bred will hopefully make him stay. He may also think he has unfinished business with the County he has assembled probably the best squad of players we have had since promotion back into the league, and a league promotion would cement his place as one of our all time great managers. If he continues in the same way as the past few seasons then he will certainly leave and I think there may be better opportunities in the not so distant future.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Postby George Street-Bridge » September 11th, 2019, 10:24 am

OK, I'll rephrase that and say it's a hiding-to-nothing job. As ours would be if Flynn left now.
no avatar
User

excessbee

Postby excessbee » September 11th, 2019, 10:36 am

I'm not so sure Lincoln's next manager will be expected to maintain their push for another promotion, or rather if not achieving it will be considered failure. Surely the realistic aim should be a few years of League One stability. The 'success' of Yeovil should be a clear warning.
no avatar
User

Fourthousand

Postby Fourthousand » September 11th, 2019, 10:52 am

Stuff Lincoln. Newport County AFC have a game Saturday.
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » September 11th, 2019, 10:59 am

Fourthousand wrote:Stuff Lincoln. Newport County AFC have a game Saturday.

Have we? :lol:

Very helpful addition to the thread.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » September 11th, 2019, 11:33 am

Fourthousand wrote:Stuff Lincoln. Newport County AFC have a game Saturday.

Start a thread about Saturday's game then.
no avatar
User

owlsabout

Postby owlsabout » September 11th, 2019, 11:56 am

Iam sure mrs Flynn wd be prepared to go anywhere with mike that's the nature of being a managers wife .
no avatar
User

excessbee

Postby excessbee » September 11th, 2019, 12:27 pm

Even if part of the discussion is "there's a 50/50 chance I'll be out of a job in May".
Personally I think Lincoln will take a punt on an out of work manager. They've had plenty of time to have a candidate in mind, as the Cowleys' moving on has been a certainty for quite some time.
Last edited by excessbee on September 11th, 2019, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext