Are we better when kicking south in the 2nd half?...

Has anyone else noticed, over the last couple of seasons, we seem better when kicking towards the away end in the 2nd half?
Some of our very big goals have been at that end in the 2nd half, sometimes very late on. I definitely get the impression we're stronger when kicking south in the 2nd half.
Maybe it's because Robbie gets to pick the ball up just past the dugouts and gets 'encouragement'?....I don't know what it is.

I have no stats for it at all, but it's more of a gut feeling, an observation. In fact, it's got to the stage for me, in which if we are kicking that way 2nd half, I never quite think we're beaten.

Has anyone else notice this trend?

Re: Are we better when kicking south in the 2nd half?...

newgroundrodney wrote:Has anyone else noticed, over the last couple of seasons, we seem better when kicking towards the away end in the 2nd half?
Some of our very big goals have been at that end in the 2nd half, sometimes very late on. I definitely get the impression we're stronger when kicking south in the 2nd half.
Maybe it's because Robbie gets to pick the ball up just past the dugouts and gets 'encouragement'?....I don't know what it is.

I have no stats for it at all, but it's more of a gut feeling, an observation. In fact, it's got to the stage for me, in which if we are kicking that way 2nd half, I never quite think we're beaten.

I think there’s something in it, plus it’s the end we normally choose for 2nd half if we win the toss isn’t it?

newgroundrodney wrote:Has anyone else noticed, over the last couple of seasons, we seem better when kicking towards the away end in the 2nd half?

I think the same as you and also the trend for play to be over on the Hazell stand side no matter which half it is. There were several instances yesterday whereby Robbie was in lots of clear space on the right but play still continued down our left flank.

Sorry Papa John I see the opposite.
Got to agree on the Robbie comment.
He loves playing on the Hazel side and he gets the accolades and appreciation far more not just for his wing play but defence.
After King nearly gifted them that late winner he sprinted back from the dugouts into the corner stopped the throw in and cleared up field and the clearance went straight to a County player, one of the highlights of the game for me.
Have to say both halves King and a few others neglected the Hazel side.
The times Ryan was on his own and never got a pass in the first half and likewise Robbie second half.
I don't like the way King is happy just to boot the ball up the middle every time sometimes straight to their keeper.
Would like Townsend to have a few games now.

In the winter the sun sets in the south west. And indeed is low in the southern sky during all daylight hours. Therefore a goalkeeper at the northern end is at a serious disadvantage.

Knowing the times when this disadvantage is at it's greatest i.e. second half in October, the first half in November, December and January may, I stress may, give you the tiniest advantage. But if it's only a point every other season it's probably worth knowing.

I think you get these feelings with all grounds. Over Somerton I always felt County were better when playing to the railway end, but in those days many people just moved within the ground to whichever way County were attacking. Over Spytty it was the end that Bar Amber was closest to (I never got into which end was called which over there) but found it real drag to go see any football over there because the experience was never good.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:In the winter the sun sets in the south west. And indeed is low in the southern sky during all daylight hours. Therefore a goalkeeper at the northern end is at a serious disadvantage.

Knowing the times when this disadvantage is at it's greatest i.e. second half in October, the first half in November, December and January may, I stress may, give you the tiniest advantage. But if it's only a point every other season it's probably worth knowing.
....but I find it's still the case on evening KOs..perhaps even more so. The atmosphere, the lights. We are much better to watch when kicking south I reckon

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:King has had a solid start to the season I thought we would miss joe more tbh
He could of ended yesterday as a pantomine clown though.
Plus the second against Mansfield was a total mare.
Second against Mansfield deflected off Demetriou 6 yards in front of him when he'd already committed to collecting the ball from where it was originally going. It would have been a superb save after that, but instead bounced past him as he chucked out an arm just too late. It wasn't even a mistake, just unlucky.

He's been a comfortable upgrade on Day so far, and Day was pretty good for us.

SJG99 wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:King has had a solid start to the season I thought we would miss joe more tbh
He could of ended yesterday as a pantomine clown though.
Plus the second against Mansfield was a total mare.
Second against Mansfield deflected off Demetriou 6 yards in front of him when he'd already committed to collecting the ball from where it was originally going. It would have been a superb save after that, but instead bounced past him as he chucked out an arm just too late. It wasn't even a mistake, just unlucky.

He's been a comfortable upgrade on Day so far, and Day was pretty good for us.
"Comfortable upgrade on Day"
You do make me smile. :lol: