Cheltenham - Postponed fixture

Newport County natter & football chatter.
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Re: Cheltenham - Postponed fixture

Postby UPTHEPORT » October 9th, 2019, 8:53 pm

My opinion is it should be the same as in cricket if you're players are called up its tough just get on with it
User

SJG99

The End of the Hedge

Postby SJG99 » October 9th, 2019, 9:04 pm

UPTHEPORT wrote:My opinion is it should be the same as in cricket if you're players are called up its tough just get on with it

Big clubs aren't going to stand for that, it increases the chance of compromising their playing assets. I actually like the way it works - FIFA (and UEFA) have defended the value of their international competitions, there are different rules for friendlies and especially non-official date friendlies (where leagues take priority) - plus whilst releasing the players is compulsory, postponing the fixtures is at the club's discretion.

So if we were home to Scunthorpe instead of away to Cheltenham there'd be a lot more doubt whether postponing was the best option. Apart from anything, matchday income drops off loads for midweek games.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » October 9th, 2019, 9:30 pm

SJG99 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:My opinion is it should be the same as in cricket if you're players are called up its tough just get on with it

Big clubs aren't going to stand for that, it increases the chance of compromising their playing assets. I actually like the way it works - FIFA (and UEFA) have defended the value of their international competitions, there are different rules for friendlies and especially non-official date friendlies (where leagues take priority) - plus whilst releasing the players is compulsory, postponing the fixtures is at the club's discretion.

So if we were home to Scunthorpe instead of away to Cheltenham there'd be a lot more doubt whether postponing was the best option. Apart from anything, matchday income drops off loads for midweek games.

Although when you're away team I don't suppose that the lower crowd/income is really that much of a concern.
no avatar
User

rncfc

Caerphilly

Postby rncfc » October 10th, 2019, 7:12 am

If we're both in and around the top 5 still, we'll still take loads of support for a midweek game at Cheltenham.

We took 1,500 to Hereford, 1,200 to West brom, 7,200 to spurs. For big games our support will be unaffected I would say. Let's hope we're still in and around the business end when it's rearranged.
no avatar
User

excessbee

Postby excessbee » October 10th, 2019, 9:44 am

There is a train from Cheltenham at 11pm, so it's not impossible, but not ideal.
My guess is the clubs will get dispensation to wait until the FA Cup first round has been played. That could allow for a Tuesday ten days later if neither club has a replay or, heaven forbid, the Saturday of the second round.
no avatar
User

neilcork68

Postby neilcork68 » October 10th, 2019, 1:02 pm

IMO its b loody ridiculous that we have been allowed to get the game postponed because of 'International call ups'.........1 first team player , 1 kid who has not featured for us apart from a mickey mouse cup and a player who has been 'frozen out ' by the manager and not played 1 second of league football this season even though he is 'fit ' to do so.
I dont blame Cheltenham fans being peed off with us and questioning the way the club has gone about it ( even though we have broken no rules in doing so )
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » October 10th, 2019, 2:01 pm

neilcork68 wrote:IMO its b loody ridiculous that we have been allowed to get the game postponed because of 'International call ups'.........1 first team player , 1 kid who has not featured for us apart from a mickey mouse cup and a player who has been 'frozen out ' by the manager and not played 1 second of league football this season even though he is 'fit ' to do so.
I dont blame Cheltenham fans being peed off with us and questioning the way the club has gone about it ( even though we have broken no rules in doing so )

Boxing day about forty years ago we were home to Reading. At the time Reading had an injury crisis. There was a morning kickoff but an overnight deluge meant the pitch wasn't ready for an 11 O'Clock kickoff. County suggested that the game could start at 1 O'Clock. Reading were on the bus and away quicker than rat up a drainpipe.

I agree about Cheltenham being p1ssed about this but they would do it to us.
no avatar
User

amberbhoy

Postby amberbhoy » October 10th, 2019, 2:21 pm

Whats more ridiculous is I bought 3 tickets for this game 2 of them for mates in London who cannot travel for a midweek game. I went in and asked for a refund on the tickets and was told you cannot have a refund until a date for the re arranged game has been announced.
User

lowandhard

Peoples Republic of Malpas

Postby lowandhard » October 10th, 2019, 3:15 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:IMO its b loody ridiculous that we have been allowed to get the game postponed because of 'International call ups'.........1 first team player , 1 kid who has not featured for us apart from a mickey mouse cup and a player who has been 'frozen out ' by the manager and not played 1 second of league football this season even though he is 'fit ' to do so.

Boxing day about forty years ago we were home to Reading. At the time Reading had an injury crisis. There was a morning kickoff but an overnight deluge meant the pitch wasn't ready for an 11 O'Clock kickoff. County suggested that the game could start at 1 O'Clock. Reading were on the bus and away quicker than rat up a drainpipe.

Quite right, if we’re allowed to call it off then we’re doing nothing wrong . They no doubt, would do the same if it was advantageous to them. Just a pity some had made arrangements already and bought their tickets when it may be that they can’t make the re-arranged fixture.
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » October 10th, 2019, 4:39 pm

Unless its compulsory its a total joke calling it off for 1 player.
Plus labs getting fit

We could quite possibly when the game is re arranged have more players injured.

Hope not but imagine Ryan & Josh were injured at that time, just as bad if not worse than McNamarra and Labs.

Plus a fair few supporters have been inconvenienced and possibly cannot make a midweek game.

Very silly to call it off imo plus we are on a roll currently.
User

JonD

Corridor of Uncertainty

Postby JonD » October 10th, 2019, 5:14 pm

Financially it's tough on Cheltenham. Perhaps we'd have been at least a little less adamant about calling it off had it been OUR Saturday home fixture.
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » October 10th, 2019, 5:50 pm

With Labs track record its only 50/50 at any time that he will be fit.
McNamarra is a decent player but not indispensable.
no avatar
User

rncfc

Caerphilly

Postby rncfc » October 10th, 2019, 5:56 pm

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:With Labs track record its only 50/50 at any time that he will be fit.
McNamarra is a decent player but not indispensable.

That's a good point.
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

MT

Postby Exile 1976 » October 10th, 2019, 6:32 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

100% ... our manager has made the decision, one which he was perfectly entitled to do, and if it was the other way round they would definitely have done the same.
User

SJG99

The End of the Hedge

Postby SJG99 » October 13th, 2019, 9:08 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
SJG99 wrote:

Although when you're away team I don't suppose that the lower crowd/income is really that much of a concern.

Indeed, might have been a different story if we were at home.
PreviousNext