Re: Player of the decade

So many to choose from including the above, from Nathan Davies (although he was at his best in the previous decade) to Padraig Amond. I've decided to choose one of the heroes who helped get us back in the league. Initially I thought of Christian Jolley, but I decided to choose the man who kept us in the game against Wrexham before Jolley scored.

My choice is Lenny Pidgeley.

Exile 1976 wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:David Pipe as our player of the decade? Don’t be daft.
Okay its daft :roll:
Who then?

He’s not even the best right back of the last decade, let alone outright player :roll:
It rather depends on the criteria you choose. Pipe wasn't the best player but you can argue the biggest influence.

All things considered and a purely subjective choice for me........

Lenny Pidgeley.

Exile 1976 wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Who then?

He’s not even the best right back of the last decade, let alone outright player :roll:
From what I can see the vote or poll is not for the best player on our books over the decade but the "Player of the Decade"
Pipey was superb well before we got back in the league and likewise on his return with Westley.
superb character and Club Man also. Mr 100% every game.
Just opinions but not just me.

Try a second time who do you reckon then.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Who then?

From what I can see the vote or poll is not for the best player on our books over the decade but the "Player of the Decade"
Pipey was superb well before we got back in the league and likewise on his return with Westley.
superb character and Club Man also. Mr 100% every game.
Just opinions but not just me.

Try a second time who do you reckon then.

When a poll is of Player of the Year/Decade etc , they are usually for the best player, not clubman, nice guy, etc.
I’ll tell you when I’m good and ready ffs. I’ve changed my mind a few times.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Who then?

It rather depends on the criteria you choose. Pipe wasn't the best player but you can argue the biggest influence.

All things considered and a purely subjective choice for me........

Lenny Pidgeley.

The Birdman is a great shout. Lenny was absolute quality.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Criteria is the exact word Stan.
I find this interesting.

As for the one debate I think I can answer, who scored the most important goal of the last decade, Jolley or O'Brien?

Has to be O'Brien. His goal kept us in the League, if Jolley had not scored we might well have beaten Wrexham anyway.

Then again, without Jolley's goal O'Brien's may never have happened.

Can of worms this one. But in fairness to Jim, good fun.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
C'mon A 'Porrrrt wrote:David Pipe’s contribution to the club over the decade has been considerable. Influential in the dressing room? Yes. Getting other players to raise their game? Yes. Player of the decade though? That’s just silly.
Likewise who then?
Aaron O’Connor, Joe Day, Padraig Amond, Mark O’Brien, Lenny Pidgeley. On the pitch every one of these players has had more key moments and contributions than Pipe.

A good case can be made for Robbie Willmott being the player of the year. Like David Pipe he has had 2 spells at the County, with a total of 167 appearance to date (according to Wikipedia). Who can forget his last minute winner at Hereford which kept us on track for promotion back to the league? He had assists for the FA Cup goals against Tottenham, Leicester and Man City, and scored the first goal in the replay against Middlesborough. He's also been Mr Utility, playing right wing, left wing, right wing back, left wing back and central midfield.

An honourable mention for Mark Byrne, who could have been in contention had he not been enticed away to Gillingham (where he still plays). 6 goals from midfield in 88 appearances over 2 seasons in mid decade.

2015-16: Newport County Player of the Season, Player's Player of the Year, Goal of the Season v Blackburn Rovers (FA Cup 3rd Round), Supporters Club Away Player of the Year, Supporters Club Player of the Year.

We could do with him back today.