Re: 1980-1995 Part 4

Not living in Newport and before the internet this video has cleared a misconception of mine and cleared up a mystery.

I had not realized that even when County returned to Somerton Park it was only ever envisaged that this was a short-term measure. David Hando was quite clear on that, stating that the Council wished to realize their asset by selling off Somerton Park and further that Somerton was no longer suitable for a modern football stadium.

Clearly with this in mind it would have made perfect sense for Newport AFC as then were would have held off bringing an injunction against the League of Wales whilst Spytty was being developed. And if the criticism of the then directors is that they were too trusting of Newport Council it is difficult to sustain. The shame lies entirely with Newport Council. Spytty was never suitable for League football and the club were utterly stitched up.

If I do have a criticism of the then directors it is that in trying to pretend that we could ever return to the League playing at Spytty. However that is tempered by the fact that nobody with any sense ever believed that.