Re: Have you noticed 2

pembsexile wrote: You definitely come across as a staunch defender of decisions made by the club. Someone else made a similar comment earlier today on a separate thread.

Each to their own and all that, but I have a question regarding a comment you made on the Jayne Ludlow thread at 7.34pm on March 1. Who exactly are the ‘we’ that you mentioned that would offer her a position out of the blue. Is the ‘we’, the club, the Trust or the Board. I’m curious.
The royal we, you know, the editorial...

Or are 'we' all not County together anymore?

In short as I'm busy this morning, show me how many better performing and more profitable periods in our history. If we continue this trend, we can create something instead of rambling about Sainsbury's or Terry Matthews or some guff.

This is MF's first real "bad" patch that he has had since he took over 4 years ago. In that time, my view is we have overachieved to a large extent with the players and squads that we have had in consideration to the budget and let's be frank where Newport is located in the UK. It is not exactly the No.1 destination is it? Even the northern teams in the Premiership have the same problem when competing with the London clubs.

Due to the cup runs and playoffs, I think some have become accustomed to "success" to a large degree. But putting it into context, success (or should I say the expectation of success) for teams like Portsmouth and Coventry who used to be in the same division I would say is relative to the size of the club. Newport are not of the same stature. Could they be? Possibly, but this will take time. I go back to my point I made in a previous post/thread that the size of of our Trust is roughly a 1,000 members. Wimbledon's trust members are, I understand, over 4,000.

IF you look at the stats from the eras when County were successful and I use 78-81 as a comparison, rough figures on an internet search show that the average attendance at Somerton peaked at around 5,500 in the 80-81 season with the CZJ game bringing in 18,000. Even in our promotion season of 2013 we averaged just over 2,500, peaking at over 6,000 for the Grimsby game. Our first season in the FL average attendance was roughly 3,300. Even success doesn't necessarily equate to large increases in attendances amongst the County following.

Compare that to some of the teams I mention above and it becomes blatantly obvious that there are bigger clubs with bigger budgets who can pay players more to play for them. It is clear we simply cannot "pay" to get promoted as we do not have the resources to do so and calling for Flynny to be sacked will further diminish the position the club is in financially and then folk will then complain that the BoD's have been irresponsible with finances as a change of manager would eat into these resources and potential jeopardise the future of the club.

Mr Figo wrote:This is MF's first real "bad" patch that he has had since he took over 4 years ago. In that time, my view is we have overachieved to a large extent with the players and squads that we have had in consideration to the budget and let's be frank where Newport is located in the UK. It is not exactly the No.1 destination is it? Even the northern teams in the Premiership have the same problem when competing with the London clubs.

Due to the cup runs and playoffs, I think some have become accustomed to "success" to a large degree. But putting it into context, success (or should I say the expectation of success) for teams like Portsmouth and Coventry who used to be in the same division I would say is relative to the size of the club. Newport are not of the same stature. Could they be? Possibly, but this will take time. I go back to my point I made in a previous post/thread that the size of of our Trust is roughly a 1,000 members. Wimbledon's trust members are, I understand, over 4,000.

IF you look at the stats from the eras when County were successful and I use 78-81 as a comparison, rough figures on an internet search show that the average attendance at Somerton peaked at around 5,500 in the 80-81 season with the CZJ game bringing in 18,000. Even in our promotion season of 2013 we averaged just over 2,500, peaking at over 6,000 for the Grimsby game. Our first season in the FL average attendance was roughly 3,300. Even success doesn't necessarily equate to large increases in attendances amongst the County following.

Compare that to some of the teams I mention above and it becomes blatantly obvious that there are bigger clubs with bigger budgets who can pay players more to play for them. It is clear we simply cannot "pay" to get promoted as we do not have the resources to do so and calling for Flynny to be sacked will further diminish the position the club is in financially and then folk will then complain that the BoD's have been irresponsible with finances as a change of manager would eat into these resources and potential jeopardise the future of the club.
In season 73/74 attendances at a mid table fourth division Newport County were about 2,500. Slightly below County in the League with slightly fewer people attending their games on average were Swansea City.
So is it that the people of Newport are different from the people of Swansea and elsewhere? Or could it be that if you want to attract the more casual football fan you need to provide fit for 21st century modern facilities?
I know which one of go for. But then again I haven't had the advantage of a positive meeting with Gavin Foxall.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
In season 73/74 attendances at a mid table fourth division Newport County were about 2,500. Slightly below County in the League with slightly fewer people attending their games on average were Swansea City.
Figures on swans100.com show that Swansea attendance in 73/74 was 2815 - that is more than County's. It also shows that there was a four year 'blip' in attendances where it dropped from 6412 (1972) to 5311 (1977). Although who am I to let the facts get in the way of a good story? :twisted:

Willthiswork wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Figures on swans100.com show that Swansea attendance in 73/74 was 2815 - that is more than County's. It also shows that there was a four year 'blip' in attendances where it dropped from 6412 (1972) to 5311 (1977). Although who am I to let the facts get in the way of a good story? :twisted:
The average attendance I recall was from a programme in January of 1974.

But you make my point in 73/74 Swansea had an average attendance of less than 3,000. That what happens when you're mediocre 4th tier. So Swansea improved the Vetch and attendances went up. But not content with an old Stadium like the Vetch they somehow developed the Liberty.

I love my home town. Such a shame that too many of my fellow Newportonians just look for excuses, and desperately seek reasons to explain away failure.

Who are you to let facts get in the way of a good story? The good story would be if instead of being supine Newport stood up for itself and faced the world as people up for the challenge. Who found ways to succeed instead of excuses to fail.

Who you are I don't know. What you are is sadly typical of too many. Time to remember you're Newport, start being proud of that.

https://swans100.com/vetch/

The 1970s saw crowds collapse and serious financial problems for the club. In 1974 the club was saved when the council bought the ground for £50,000 plus a grant of £150,000.

No changes in infrastructure in the gound in 1970s although, 'at a cost of almost £800,000, the East Stand was built in 1981 and originally intended to run the length of the pitch, replacing the centre stand. It did replace the open east terrace behind the goal and had 1,841 seats above a covered terrace.'

Blackandamber wrote:Newport County supporter in peace.

Do we have to be perceived as either a Happy Clapper (an expression borrowed from Evangelical Christianity) or a Doom Monger to post on this message board?
I agree.

How about a more accurate description of the two groups.

The Optimists who believe not only that we can do better but that one day we will. And.....

The losers.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: Exactly.

Making hay while the sun shines. Not making excuses for piss poor leadership.
Show me a manifesto from someone who is going to contest the next election that meets your expectations and I will happily vote them in.

I look forward to it.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:The Council built the Liberty (or as originally known as the White Rock) Stadium. Swansea City FC now own it after buying it from their Premier League payments.
Exactly.

Making hay while the sun shines.
??
Can you explain your reply, Stan.
What I understand is that the Council paid for Swansea's new ground.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:Newport County supporter in peace.

Do we have to be perceived as either a Happy Clapper (an expression borrowed from Evangelical Christianity) or a Doom Monger to post on this message board?
I agree.

How about a more accurate description of the two groups.

The Optimists who believe not only that we can do better but that one day we will. And.....

The losers.
That's still a binary choice. I prefer hexadecimal.

Beechwood Boy wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:The Council built the Liberty (or as originally known as the White Rock) Stadium. Swansea City FC now own it after buying it from their Premier League payments.
Exactly.

Making hay while the sun shines.
??
Can you explain your reply, Stan.
What I understand is that the Council paid for Swansea's new ground.
A developed Rodney Parade owned by Newport City Council. Rented on very favourable terms to us and one, I repeat, one rugby team.

And if we found ourselves in the Premier League and winning a major Cup, maybe County could put in an offer to buy it.

Although knowing the number of local worthy businessmen who profess to love a local football team before asset stripping the stadium perhaps it would be better to leave the ground council owned.

Papski2 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: Exactly.

Making hay while the sun shines. Not making excuses for piss poor leadership.
Show me a manifesto from someone who is going to contest the next election that meets your expectations and I will happily vote them in.

I look forward to it.
Someone who will make some effort to follow up with the hybrid version voted for many moons ago now will do for me!