Players fund

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

MT

Re: Players fund

Postby Exile 1976 » January 7th, 2017, 9:08 pm

Bush wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stefan1Kuntz wrote:
Bush wrote:Personally I won't give money to a players fund until I know the true picture of our finances.

If there's nothing left then why wasn't we told before the little we had was spent on conference players?

I must say the communication has been dire of late , but you can't tell a manager what players to sign.

If he thinks these are the answer , we have to back him.

If he has a limited budget (as we know he does), bring in 3/4 quality players, not 6,7,8 squad players. We already have a huge squad but a very small amount and quality.

To be fair he hasn't really had much of a budget so far. Brought in loans who replaced loans that ended. Then brought in players playing in the conference. That doesn't sound much like a budget to me.

He expects to bring in more players next week, has given a player an 18mth contract. I'm not saying he's got a big budget, but he doesn't need 8 or so squad players, he needs 3/4 quality first team starters.
no avatar
User

Stefan1Kuntz

Postby Stefan1Kuntz » January 7th, 2017, 9:20 pm

big baz wrote:
Stefan1Kuntz wrote:
big baz wrote:
Stefan1Kuntz wrote:
big baz wrote:Where is the money from Washington, Poole and Collins? It was money not budgeted for as it didn't exist then.

I presume that being both an accountant and a trust member you not only received this but understood it.

Some extracts from the financial statement - JULY 2016

"It was a source of frustration to the trust that the state of the club’s financial records meant its advisers were only able to review what was made available or indeed existed

"When our advisers were finally able to conduct a comprehensive review of the records it revealed almost £300k of unsustainable debt as at 30 June 2015, comprising bank overdraft (£80k), arrears of tax (£30k), arrears to major creditors (£80k) and advance commercial income for 2015/16 banked before the year end (£100k).
It also became clear that the club’s forecasts for the current season had been unrealistically optimistic and, without decisive action, the club was facing an unsustainable level of debt by the end of the financial year.

As the new board was coming to terms with the scale of the club’s financial difficulties, it was also facing a critical decision regarding the future of the manager and his support team following the club’s poor start to the league campaign.

In conclusion, the money raised by the trust from supporters, sale of Poole and Collins along with the FA Cup money ensured we were able to get through to the end of the 15/16 season.

The Washington windfall money has allowed a change in the financial planning assumptions. The club no longer has to look to discount season tickets or use commercial money to sustain the club through the close season where there is limited revenue"

Maybe sue the people who were meant to have kept the records up to date and didn't? Monthly figures were mean t to have been produced and obviously weren't or were totally wrong.

Are you saying we sue the previous board?

Not unless they did the book keeping. Sue the external book keeper who was paid to do the job but was i think 6 months behind at the time of the meeting in the riverfront.
I offered my services to clear the backlog but they already had someone and I believe that was where holes were found. The golden JCB inflation in the accounts was found by me and subsequently removed from the following years accounts as in technical terms, it was bollox.

The club had a book keeper, to sue her would be grossly unfair when she was reporting to 4 or 5 directors.

I am sure you'd agree the buck should always stop with the directors.
no avatar
User

Ref 22

Rank

Forum Patron!

Postby Ref 22 » January 7th, 2017, 9:22 pm

Somerton son wrote:
rncfc wrote:Absolutely no chance would i give even 1p to a player fund. In the absence of any news to the contrary i am assuming we are still in good financial health.

Football fans are funny folk aren't they? We gave to a players fund in 2012 that clearly wasn't needed when we are run by wealthy directors without asking any questions. Now we are fan owned and might need a players fund.

No chance!

Agree we you.

But some fans are now wonder if the money they give was spent wisely
no avatar
User

Corpaboy

Postby Corpaboy » January 7th, 2017, 9:52 pm

It ain't about "the money" !!!!??? If we had it , we'd **** it up ?
We had it with Des Cladding .... We fucked it up !
It's all about MANAGING the money .
We've got no CEO and a manager who seems to be a right loose cannon .
Add to that a BOD who are living the dream of running a football club on a part time basis (no disrespect to any of them Btw) and you have a recipe for disaster .
We should've kicked on when Les was around
We should've kicked on when the fans took ownership
Instead , we have the usual Newport apathetic drivel when it's all too late .
We can bang on about "crisis meetings" etc , but what are the answers ???
I really don't know . I don't like it . I feel sick .
User

Bush

Rank

Forum Patron!

Postby Bush » January 7th, 2017, 9:56 pm

Exile 1976 wrote:
Bush wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stefan1Kuntz wrote:
Bush wrote:Personally I won't give money to a players fund until I know the true picture of our finances.

If there's nothing left then why wasn't we told before the little we had was spent on conference players?

I must say the communication has been dire of late , but you can't tell a manager what players to sign.

If he has a limited budget (as we know he does), bring in 3/4 quality players, not 6,7,8 squad players. We already have a huge squad but a very small amount and quality.

To be fair he hasn't really had much of a budget so far. Brought in loans who replaced loans that ended. Then brought in players playing in the conference. That doesn't sound much like a budget to me.

He expects to bring in more players next week, has given a player an 18mth contract. I'm not saying he's got a big budget, but he doesn't need 8 or so squad players, he needs 3/4 quality first team starters.

Absolutely. It's why I have been so disappointed by this weeks move in the transfer market. Are we stronger now? Do we have two better strikers than Parkin and Healey? Do we have two full backs better than we got? Do we have a better centre half? Do we have a better ball winner in midfield (more so someone to compliment tozer)? I don't think we have improved in nearly all those positions that were vital. Yet loan spots have been wasted and we have brought in players playing conference and lower.

People called me negative this week. It wasn't negativity it was simply disappointment that we hadn't improved what we got.
no avatar
User

Somerton son

Postby Somerton son » January 7th, 2017, 9:58 pm

Ref 22 wrote:
Somerton son wrote:
rncfc wrote:Absolutely no chance would i give even 1p to a player fund. In the absence of any news to the contrary i am assuming we are still in good financial health.

Football fans are funny folk aren't they? We gave to a players fund in 2012 that clearly wasn't needed when we are run by wealthy directors without asking any questions. Now we are fan owned and might need a players fund.

No chance!

Agree we you.

I have no idea if it was spent wisely , all I know is a players fund wasn't required in 2012.

It was all smoke and mirrors.
no avatar
User

guest101

Rank

Forum Patron!

Postby guest101 » January 7th, 2017, 10:11 pm

Somerton son wrote:
Ref 22 wrote:
Somerton son wrote:

No chance!

Agree we you.

I have no idea if it was spent wisely , all I know is a players fund wasn't required in 2012.

enlighten us. i started the players fund in 2012
overseen by the then trust committee all money raised brought in players i think 12k. The only thing we kept from the fans is that one players agent got 1k agents fee wasn't happy with this but apparently it's the norm. We got to wembley mainly down to the cash injection and a great manager. the rest is history.

Rob.
no avatar
User

big baz

Rank

Forum Patron!

Newport,

Postby big baz » January 8th, 2017, 12:27 am

Somerton son wrote:
Ref 22 wrote:
Somerton son wrote:

No chance!

Agree we you.

A new poster all spunk and no ****
User

Amberexile

Sheffield

Postby Amberexile » January 8th, 2017, 2:41 am

Exile 1976 wrote:
Bush wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stefan1Kuntz wrote:

It is pure rationalisation I know but just maybe the players he brought in this week were the easy ones to get over the line and bringing in the quality players is taking a wee bit longer.

Well we all need even a small crumb of hope as after all, it is the hope that makes the lack off success more crushing.
User

Tony Soprano

np2o

Postby Tony Soprano » January 8th, 2017, 9:52 am

Ref 22 wrote:Would we be prepared to set up a players fund say £100 each

If we could get 100 of us would raise £10k or 200 would raise 20k or 300 would be 30k

Minimum of 100 taking part. If so I would make a donation.

Well with all the money you save from never going to games it shouldn't be a problem for you!!
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Postby George Street-Bridge » January 8th, 2017, 11:05 am

Amberexile wrote: just maybe the players he brought in this week were the easy ones to get over the line and bringing in the quality players is taking a wee bit longer.

The risk is we'll wind up with a squad of 30 but only half a dozen who are better than L2 relegation standard.

My suggestion Feeney should have been given six more weeks doesn't look so daft now, does it? If only he'd had the sense to use Sheehan (OK, that's an "if my aunt had bollocks" point) we might be in a better position.
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

MT

Postby Exile 1976 » January 8th, 2017, 12:45 pm

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Amberexile wrote: just maybe the players he brought in this week were the easy ones to get over the line and bringing in the quality players is taking a wee bit longer.

The risk is we'll wind up with a squad of 30 but only half a dozen who are better than L2 relegation standard.

My suggestion Feeney should have been given six more weeks doesn't look so daft now, does it? If only he'd had the sense to use Sheehan (OK, that's an "if my aunt had bollocks" point) we might be in a better position.

You have to remember that Sheehan had a little injury and was away with Wales U21's a couple of times too
no avatar
User

Ugo.

Postby Ugo. » January 8th, 2017, 2:05 pm

George Street-Bridge wrote:

Why does the suggestion Feeney should have been given 6 more weeks not look so daft now? Sorry, the situation we are in now does not mean we should have given Feeney 6 more weeks, Feeney was out of his depth, he had no tactical nous whatsoever and he couldn't even see that Sheehan was better than the players he was playing. We would have been in a worse position than we are now as we wouldn't have had the bounce we had when Westley first arrived. What does seem daft now is giving the job to Westley not the getting rid of Feeney.
no avatar
User

Somerton son

Postby Somerton son » January 8th, 2017, 10:02 pm

guest101 wrote:
Somerton son wrote:
Ref 22 wrote:
Somerton son wrote:

No chance!

Agree we you.

overseen by the then trust committee all money raised brought in players i think 12k. The only thing we kept from the fans is that one players agent got 1k agents fee wasn't happy with this but apparently it's the norm. We got to wembley mainly down to the cash injection and a great manager. the rest is history.

Rob.

Mate,

I'm not criticising you or anyone that raises money for our football club, you were obviously doing as instructed by the then trust or directors.
I've just never been able to figure out why that players fund was required, just having a look on Wikipedia it shows that In December 2011 and January 2012 Six players left including Robbie Matthews & Danny Rose who both went for transfer fees. I'm assuming Danny's would have been substantial. Only two actually joined the club , Andy Sandell & Jake Reid. The other 4 were loan players who's wages would have been subsidised. So perhaps you can understand why I have always been slightly bemused as to why a January players fund was actually required, when all that seemingly happened was that the books were more than balanced in terms of players in and out.We also had undisclosed transfer money coming in.
User

Bush

Rank

Forum Patron!

Postby Bush » January 8th, 2017, 10:23 pm

Somerton son wrote:
guest101 wrote:
Somerton son wrote:
Ref 22 wrote:
Somerton son wrote:

No chance!

Agree we you.

Rob.

Mate,

I'm not criticising you or anyone that raises money for our football club, you were obviously doing as instructed by the then trust or directors.
I've just never been able to figure out why that players fund was required, just having a look on Wikipedia it shows that In December 2011 and January 2012 Six players left including Robbie Matthews & Danny Rose who both went for transfer fees. I'm assuming Danny's would have been substantial. Only two actually joined the club , Andy Sandell & Jake Reid. The other 4 were loan players who's wages would have been subsidised. So perhaps you can understand why I have always been slightly bemused as to why a January players fund was actually required, when all that seemingly happened was that the books were more than balanced in terms of players in and out.We also had undisclosed transfer money coming in.

If Robbie Matthews left for a fee then it was a packet of wotsits and a jacket potato because he was not worth a fee!
PreviousNext