Board statement

Newport County natter & football chatter.
User

Catford Richard

South London

Re: Board statement

Postby Catford Richard » January 11th, 2017, 7:47 pm

Perhaps 'the plan' isn't being made public yet because negotiations are on going, grants being applied for etc. Trust members elect people to represent them and their views. It doesn't mean they have to give over every little scrap of information.
no avatar
User

Bangitintrnet

Postby Bangitintrnet » January 11th, 2017, 8:18 pm

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
Bangitintrnet wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
lowandhardandinthecorner wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:
lowandhardandinthecorner wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:
lowandhardandinthecorner wrote: Why not just say that more drainage works etc. must be done to remedy the problem, that insufficient money is available to do them and that in the meantime we will do a, b and/or c until the full works can be done and then tell us what a, b and c are?

Well, it would only be worth saying this if it is all actually true. Precisely what will need doing won't become clear until the season is over, so by definition no-one knows what it could cost, so no-one can say there is insufficient money available.

So are you saying that the report contains next to no information and no recommendations ? If that's the case, what's the need for secrecy?

No. What I'm saying is you want them to come out and say things that might not actually describe what''s going on, just because it fits your version of what's going on, when in fact what's going on won't become clear until the end of the season.

Which begs the question surely, if the report cannot possibly contain the solution, why on earth should it be secret? I don't want them to lie, fantasise or "fit my version of what's going on", I just want them to say it as it is. I'm obviously asking far too much, after all we're only a fans owned club, why should the fans deserve the truth?

We need to separate the report itself from the plan of action. The statement says that the Football League commissioned the experts and the report they produced for the Football League was shared with us and RP. At best, the Football League own the report, but it would not be unusual for the experts to retain the intellectual property rights to the report's content. Whoever owns it, the Football League has told the club not to share it further so the club would risk punishment from the FL if they did so. We just have to accept that this is how the FL want to play it and the club have no say.

With the plan on the other hand, it must be possible for this to be shared with us in general terms in such a way that it would not bring the club into dispute with the FL. Why the board have decided not to do this is a strange one.

Agree entirely with your interpretation of why the report is not made public. Regarding any future plan this is likely to be expensive and I can imagine all parties not wanting to take the lead, as they would be taking ownership of the problem. The owners NRFC actually use the pitch less than the Dragons who use it less than we do. So I guess it's a case of who blinks first, but all parties need it resolved and i assume we still need a report detailing a long term solution, and agreement on how the works will be funded. As we know from the debates on the club accounts, spending money on an asset that is not ours or not owned by the Dragons or indeed by Rodney Parade Ltd, can be difficult to account for.

You rent a house with a severely leaking roof so who pays for repairs, you or the landlord? I would suggest the latter, so the same principle should apply to the pitch.

We don't have sole use of the house though do we, and we agreed to pay for a flat roof before we moved in. How do we prove that those works haven't actually caused the problems with the owners roof, or prove that it's something to do with how it has been maintained, or even that an adjacent development is the cause of the issue?
no avatar
User

Cornish Exile

Postby Cornish Exile » January 11th, 2017, 8:24 pm

It would do wonders for our relationship with the Football League if the Board ignored their request and made the contents of the report available to all and sundry.
Previous