Re: EMAIL

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: When you ask how many steps backward, come on. How on earth can working towards a new stadium be a step backwards?
I said steps backwards ON THE PITCH. Funds would always have been limited and without an old ground to sell, we'd have been starting with a patch of ground. You had your revelation in the wilderness in 1998. Add time to find a site, sort out planning etc and we'd already have been in Conference South. Where you need a ground which is well above basic. So you might need to take a demotion or stand still to get the ground up to scratch.
I know nothing about drains so I asked my father about whether this explanation was possible. My father told me that what Greenhaf had said was complete bollox.
And he had first-hand knowledge of the site?
Well you make two points so let's deal with them.

Every town in the UK with only a few exceptions has managed to develop stadia fit for purpose. It takes hard work and planning but it can be done. Even starting from scratch. FC United of Manchester, Wimbledon. I don't say it will be easy I merely say that it can be done. Of course the easy option is to listen to negative losers who will always find an excuse to fail. I have greater faith in the people of Newport.

As for your second point. A field is a field. It is made of mud. The idea that the drains could not be dug is bollox. That there may have been reasons for delay is possible but the ground being too dry being that reason is a nonsense. When I did ask why drainage problems occur he said that water is water. It would need somewhere to run off to. When drains become a problem it is for one reason alone, that the water is not running off, that somewhere there is a blockage. When I asked about thye building of the Bisley stand and the new build he said that that could be the problem, equally it could be a collapsed drain or a blockage. Not being able to examine the site he couldn't say what it was. 50 years as a civil engineer did allow him to comment on what it was not.

As for your then pet theory that the proximity of the Usk might be a factor I remember he said the following. It might be that but if it were you would have expected that flooding would always have been a problem.

It's called joined up thinking George, you should try it sometime. :grin:

I don't know about anyone else but I do think the proximity of the Usk is a factor. That, and the new housing that has sprung up in the past few years.

I may be wrong but I am sure I can remember a recent Dragons Friday night game called off because the away fans end was flooded. That was before the pitch was relaid/replaced.

May have said this before but - many years ago my brother was the Deputy Landlord of the Old Rising Sun (Harlequin) pub. At high tide one evening he called me to have a look at the cellar. The beer barrels were floating in the water table of the Usk inside the cellar. That is roughly the elevation of RP. Where on earth is the water to go to. As I said previously, raise the height of the pitch or lower the level of the Usk!

Pet theory but there you are. I will certainly bow to your dads superior knowledge though.

pembsexile wrote:I don't know about anyone else but I do think the proximity of the Usk is a factor. That, and the new housing that has sprung up in the past few years.

I may be wrong but I am sure I can remember a recent Dragons Friday night game called off because the away fans end was flooded. That was before the pitch was relaid/replaced.

May have said this before but - many years ago my brother was the Deputy Landlord of the Old Rising Sun (Harlequin) pub. At high tide one evening he called me to have a look at the cellar. The beer barrels were floating in the water table of the Usk inside the cellar. That is roughly the elevation of RP. Where on earth is the water to go to. As I said previously, raise the height of the pitch or lower the level of the Usk!

Pet theory but there you are. I will certainly bow to your dads superior knowledge though.
Actually you and my father agree. His view was being close to a river might have an effect. What he added was that if that were the problem you would have expected Rodney Parade to have flooded before.

My maternal grandfather, one Harold Lockwood late of Elland in Yorkshire had the Old Rising Sun at the top of the Malpas Road in Crindau as his local. Although as he died in 1944 that was no doubt before your brother's time. Small world though.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: As for your then pet theory that the proximity of the Usk might be a factor I remember he said the following. It might be that but if it were you would have expected that flooding would always have been a problem. It's called joined up thinking George, you should try it sometime. :grin:
Well, I've certainly speculated about the water table more than once. Then, when I noticed on driving away from RP immediately after the Blackburn game was abandoned that in fact the river was as low as it ever gets, I punted that information here for discussion.

Because for me that's the best use of the forum. Exchanges of useful information, not therapy for narcissism.

"Hello, is that Halligan's Civil Engineering? I have a job needing doing that involves drainage. When could you come and take a look at the site?"
"That's OK, I can assess it without an inspection."

Back to Yellow Pages.

pembsexile wrote:I don't know about anyone else but I do think the proximity of the Usk is a factor. That, and the new housing that has sprung up in the past few years.

Surely though, if it was the river and its water table that was the problem , the pitch would flood at every high tide - it really doesn't : in addition the surrounding gardens would flood too. If the water table was the problem , diggings for the drains would reveal standing water when the tide was in , would they not? I have taken photographs at Newport Bridge when the highest spring tides in recent times were recorded and where flood warnings were rife and parts of Crindau getting some flooding even after sandbagging - the water was even up to the parapet of the bridge and yet at that time Rodney Parade was not flooded.
Even if there was a high water table at just below pitch drain level, couldn't a sump and pumps be employed to prevent flooding? Whenever I've witnessed the pitch filling up as the rain fell, it seemed like the water was just sitting on the surface and not draining and meanwhile about 50 yards away at the same level or even just below it , guess what? There was absolutely no flooding! I think that the conclusion is easy to reach and that is that the pitch works in recent years have buggered the drains!

Stan A. Einstein wrote: As for your then pet theory that the proximity of the Usk might be a factor I remember he said the following. It might be that but if it were you would have expected that flooding would always have been a problem. It's called joined up thinking George, you should try it sometime. :grin:
Well, I've certainly speculated about the water table more than once. Then, when I noticed on driving away from RP immediately after the Blackburn game was abandoned that in fact the river was as low as it ever gets, I punted that information here for discussion.

Because for me that's the best use of the forum. Exchanges of useful information, not therapy for narcissism.

"Hello, is that Halligan's Civil Engineering? I have a job needing doing that involves drainage. When could you come and take a look at the site?"

Back to Yellow Pages.
By the way , why don't you too give it a rest, it's f*cking boring. Stan's dad's analysis sounded pretty sensible and straightforward to me. You don't have to visit the site to have common sense.

Back to Yellow Pages.
Insulting my late father. A new low from Phil Tanner. What a sad little man you are.

lowandhardandinthecorner wrote:

Surely though, if it was the river and its water table that was the problem , the pitch would flood at every high tide - it really doesn't : in addition the surrounding gardens would flood too. If the water table was the problem , diggings for the drains would reveal standing water when the tide was in , would they not? I have taken photographs at Newport Bridge when the highest spring tides in recent times were recorded and where flood warnings were rife and parts of Crindau getting some flooding even after sandbagging - the water was even up to the parapet of the bridge and yet at that time Rodney Parade was not flooded.
Even if there was a high water table at just below pitch drain level, couldn't a sump and pumps be employed to prevent flooding? Whenever I've witnessed the pitch filling up as the rain fell, it seemed like the water was just sitting on the surface and not draining and meanwhile about 50 yards away at the same level or even just below it , guess what? There was absolutely no flooding! I think that the conclusion is easy to reach and that is that the pitch works in recent years have buggered the drains!
I've owned a house in Albany street for about 13 years. Always had flood alerts but never had a drop of flooding

Good analysis mate and quite probably blows my pet theory out of the water. I sincerely hope that you are right and it is just the drainage. At long last it may be being sorted right now. :cheers:

pembsexile wrote:

Good analysis mate and quite probably blows my pet theory out of the water. I sincerely hope that you are right and it is just the drainage. At long last it may be being sorted right now. :cheers:
Let's hope so mate! At one time the drainage ( or lack of it ) was very similar to my local park and I was able to predict successfully whether a game would be on or off. That went out of the window last year when the summer work completely knackered it. It needed a complete overhaul and hopefully that is what the WRU are doing.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Back to Yellow Pages.
Insulting my late father. A new low from Phil Tanner. What a sad little man you are.
George,

This is what Phil Tanner regards as acceptable. My comments are only about the explanation given that the ground being too hard for drain digging. Phil Tanner is the one who states that the comments were about the entire job.

Phil Tanner tells lies.

Edit.

If anyone wants to read the entire thread I made it clear that there may have been reasons for the delays but the ground being too hard was not one of them.

Still standing by your lies?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
As for your second point. A field is a field. It is made of mud. The idea that the drains could not be dug is bollox. That there may have been reasons for delay is possible but the ground being too dry being that reason is a nonsense. When I did ask why drainage problems occur he said that water is water. It would need somewhere to run off to. When drains become a problem it is for one reason alone, that the water is not running off, that somewhere there is a blockage. When I asked about thye building of the Bisley stand and the new build he said that that could be the problem, equally it could be a collapsed drain or a blockage. Not being able to examine the site he couldn't say what it was. 50 years as a civil engineer did allow him to comment on what it was not.
What Tanner said.

"What I mocked was your suggestion that a job as complex as sorting out the drainage at Rodney Parade could be pronounced upon authoritively without the contractor needing to inspect the site and I am happy to repeat that."

This is what I said, this is what Tanner said. As you can all see it is not what Phil Tanner said I said. Apologize now Tanner, try being a human being for once.

Just in case you are wondering, and don't have the capacity to work it out for yourself and apologies for shouting the material line is.

"NOT BEING ABLE TO EXAMINE THE SITE HE COULDN'T SAY WHAT IT WAS. 50 YEARS AS A CIVIL ENGINEER DID ALLOW HIM TO COMMENT ON WHAT IT WAS NOT."

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
What Tanner said.

"What I mocked was your suggestion that a job as complex as sorting out the drainage at Rodney Parade could be pronounced upon authoritively without the contractor needing to inspect the site and I am happy to repeat that."

This is what I said, this is what Tanner said. As you can all see it is not what Phil Tanner said I said. Apologize now Tanner, try being a human being for once.

Just in case you are wondering, and don't have the capacity to work it out for yourself and apologies for shouting the material line is.

"NOT BEING ABLE TO EXAMINE THE SITE HE COULDN'T SAY WHAT IT WAS. 50 YEARS AS A CIVIL ENGINEER DID ALLOW HIM TO COMMENT ON WHAT IT WAS NOT."
Morning Phil,

Having mocked my dead father, accused me of making things up, defended your actions by stating I said the exact opposite of of what I did in fact say you are finally exposed as a liar

Still awaiting your apology.