Re: BBC Cardiff

pembsexile wrote:
MisterB wrote:Maybe time to stop watching and listening and cancel licence if people are that bothered and tell them why, or suck it up and pay for iFollow.

Yes, I am that bothered actually. Thanks for your suggestion but I think I will dump that one. Could you please tell me what personal benefit it would be to me if I were to cancel my BBC license. I would therefore miss the benefit of all other TV programmes. Someone said something the other day about cutting your nose off to spite your face. Exactly.

It is just not too much to ask that a National broadcaster should broadcast a similar percentage of County games to the other teams located within that country. Rocket science it ain't.

You mentioned iFollow. Don't make me laugh. I would like live commentary not delayed commentary.
BBC as a whole don't give time to Newport, just look at BBC news, south east wales section as an example. Its choice if you pay and use BBC and I understand you may loose more than you gain but if enough did it and publicised why, its bad press for the BBC and lost revenue.
iFollow might have a slight delay but unless you are following the match on other platforms would 1 minute be an issue. It maybe for you and that's for you to decide, for me not so much and I use it for away games I don't go to.

I agree things should be equal from a national broadcaster, they are not and I'm not holding my breath for change anytime soon.

Blackandamber wrote:
Justanordinaryfan wrote:Believe me, when there are no other options, the IFollow service, is a great fantastic product. Admittedly you need to switch Jeff off whilst you listen, but for me that’s a very small price to pay.
:cheers:
You could delay Jeff by a minute or two, so it lines up with the Ifollow delay.
Fook me ..,, I never thought of that ! :P

For those who've been following the issue, an update on BBC Wales' lack of coverage of Newport County games. At our last midweek league game (vs Lincoln) neither Cardiff nor Swansea have been playing - and yet our game wasn't covered, not even on AM, and instead we've had Janice Long's programme with the odd score update (but no-one at the ground).

Anyway, Jessica Morden MP (Labour, Newport East) has doggedly continued to raise the issue with BBC Wales, as formal complaints to the Beeb were eliciting the same cut-and-paste response. The latest response, which she's said she's happy to be shared, is reproduced below. Any typos are errors in transcription on my part except where highlighted.
As you are aware, this season we have changed how we broadcast commentaries and coverage of all teams in Wales. To provide greater consistency, and respond to declining audience figures, we have introduced a new weekday music programme, hosted by Janice Long. To avoid disruption to the main schedule, our ambition is to broadcast every commentary online, and for key games we would make the decision to rest Janice. As you also know, unfortunately, online commentary rights are not available to us from the EFL League Two.

It has been an excellent season for Newport County and, as promised, when there are key games, we are more than happy support [sic] wider coverage. So far this season we have broadcast games again Exeter (2/9), Yeovil (7/10), Walsall (4/11 FA Cup), Leeds (7/1 FA Cup) and this week's game against Tottenham in the FA Cup was broadcast on all frequencies in Wales. In additions [sic], as with all our teams, Newport County receive match reports and updates during BBC Radio Wales Sport on Saturday afternoons.

We constantly review our output and assess if any changes need to be made. I'm sure, like me, you are delighted with the Newport County story this season, and I'm pleased BBC Radio Wales has been able to bring audiences those games, in addition to the live BBC Wales TV coverage.

I hope that helps to give you an overview of our current output.

Kind regards,

Colin Paterson
Editor, BBC Radio Wales
So the BBC are retaining their stance, and refusing to acknowledge that they are failing to properly cover Wales' third biggest professional side. Of course, they will flock to us when we have a 'big' game (eg, Spurs), but the rest of the time they don't want to know. I'm willing to bet we won't be covered tonight.

Please do continue to log complaints with the BBC, to write to your local MP and AM (again, kudos to Jessica Morden MP and to Jayne Bryant AM for continuing to raise the issue), or to contact Colin Paterson directly at BBC Radio Wales.

Yeah, unfortunately they're now going to use "but we cover them all the time when they're playing bigger clubs in the third and fourth rounds of the FA Cup" to hide behind, so now the questioning needs to be about the specific issue with lack of coverage of County's League Two fixtures.

Incidentally I'm not convinced that the BBC do have online broadcasting rights for matches (other than the FA Cup) based on the iPlayer regional offerings when matches are on, but that is likely to vary between Premier League and EFL.

One of the issues I think with i-player is that realistically only regular fans are going to pay to use it which means we miss the casual listener who may have had their interest piqued by the cup run - they're not likely to pay to hear a game but may switch on the radio. It's also a shame I think that so much else - player interviews etc is only available on i-player so is missed by the casual fan (who may become a regular if access was more easily and cheaply available). I still find the BBC attitude appalling - do that many people really tune in specially to hear Janice Long?

If there's one thing I have learned about Cardiff is they think Newport is in England, the second thing I learned is they want to saw Swansea off Wales and float it out to sea, but if you want to annoy them tell them Cardiff is not a city, (Llandaff is the city don't tell) they go all red and chokefied. The coverage of anything Newport is p*ss poor, perhaps we should make huge paper mashe poos and dump them at the studio and shout how's that for coverage you barstewards.

Dear First minister,

I am sure you will agree that performance of Newport County in this year's FA Cup has been a massive boost for the city. The cup run and the positive press coverage has left the whole area with a spring in its step. Newport really has flown the flag for Wales.

Sadly Newport has been very much let down by the coverage it has received by BBC Wales. BBC Radio Wales has given Newport fair representation in its coverage in previous years but for some reason this season Newport's coverage has been pitiful. 

As a proud resident of Newport I don't expect to be treated like we don't matter. Cardiff, Swansea and even Wrexham get fair coverage but we get the scraps. I know you are a busy man but please take the time to hold BBC Wales to task.

Yours sincerely 

Craig Barton 

westsider wrote:One of the issues I think with i-player is that realistically only regular fans are going to pay to use it which means we miss the casual listener who may have had their interest piqued by the cup run - they're not likely to pay to hear a game but may switch on the radio. It's also a shame I think that so much else - player interviews etc is only available on i-player so is missed by the casual fan (who may become a regular if access was more easily and cheaply available). I still find the BBC attitude appalling - do that many people really tune in specially to hear Janice Long?
To check my hunch re: online broadcast rights earlier, I've just popped over to BBC Radio Nottinghamshire, which has coverage of Notts Co and Mansfield's home games tonight - but NOT online, because as suspected, the Beeb do not hold the online broadcast rights (because iFollow do). They do, however, have the local broadcast rights on FM/AM...

I seem to recall DAB was an unanswered question before too, but I've just gone to getdigitalradio.com to check, and BBC Radio broadcasts are regional for regional radio, so unless you're in an area which receives the same BBC AM/FM broadcast anyway you won't get the local BBC radio channel on DAB anyway, making it a moot point.

SJG99 wrote:
Amberexile wrote:You can get the digital radio commentary on sky and virgin, not sure about freesat
It's only on digital radio in the respective area though, as tv packages are regional too.
When BBC Wales broadcast commentary of our matches on digital radio, I can listen in Sheffield on my Sky TV box via satellite. I believe the same is true of "cable TV" for Virgin.

Amberexile wrote:
SJG99 wrote:
Amberexile wrote:You can get the digital radio commentary on sky and virgin, not sure about freesat
It's only on digital radio in the respective area though, as tv packages are regional too.
When BBC Wales broadcast commentary of our matches on digital radio, I can listen in Sheffield on my Sky TV box via satellite. I believe the same is true of "cable TV" for Virgin.
I've just checked and though BBC Radio Wales counts as a "national" service (as opposed to something like BBC Nottinghamshire) and as a result appears on all of the regional variations no matter where [in England] someone is, the version broadcast is *supposed* to be the online digital one, so even though Cardiff City were on DAB last night, my VirginMedia channel 931 was broadcasting Janice Long, which is what was on the online digital service outside the Wales area.

Are you sure it wasn't an FA Cup match you heard rather than EFL?

Amberexile wrote:
SJG99 wrote:
I've just checked and though BBC Radio Wales counts as a "national" service (as opposed to something like BBC Nottinghamshire) and as a result appears on all of the regional variations no matter where [in England] someone is, the version broadcast is *supposed* to be the online digital one, so even though Cardiff City were on DAB last night, my VirginMedia channel 931 was broadcasting Janice Long, which is what was on the online digital service outside the Wales area.

Are you sure it wasn't an FA Cup match you heard rather than EFL?

I haven't used it this season but last season when our own commentary was up and down I would often go to the TV and listen to Radio Wales commentary via the sky box during league matches.