Re: BBC Cardiff

UPTHEPORT wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

Complain here just sent mine

Just had this Reply

Dear Mr Drewett,

Thank you for contacting us regarding this season’s Radio Wales football coverage.

We’re sorry to hear that you’re unhappy with the coverage Newport County receives on the station.

We have made a number of changes to the volume of sport output on BBC Radio Wales and we’re looking at a variety of measures across the station to strengthen our listenership.

In terms of sport programming, we feel we are better placed to focus our resources on fewer hours of output, of higher quality, and point to commentary online where possible. This is a move we started to make a number of years ago with other sports such as cricket and rugby.

In relation to Newport County, as with previous seasons, key games will continue to be carried on our analogue/FM transmitters. Decisions on sports coverage have been made based on audience listening habits. Beyond considerations about broad audience demand, we’re also limited by analogue transmitters which don’t provide targeted coverage. We’ve made representations to the league regarding online commentary rights and have informed that they won’t be available to us this season, we will request again for next year – this is regrettable but beyond our control.

What we have been able to provide is a new sports programme on Friday nights, which will discuss Newport County related matters. In addition, we have also released a new Welsh football podcast which, for the first time, will cover all teams, not just Cardiff and Swansea.

We take very seriously the feedback we get from our audiences and are focussed on ensuring the BBC Radio Wales is the radio station for the whole nation.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Regards,

Peredur Jones
Audience Services, BBC Cymru Wales
03703 500 700

BBC Complaints
www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

My reply

Sorry not happy with your reply as of last season you covered every game on at least AM so why not this season ? In my opinion its because you have decided to make a "big name signing" in Janice Long and want to use all means possible to draw as many listeners its all very poor and just shows you are only interested in keeping Cardiff fans happy

On Saturday you had a guy reporting on our game and at one stage said we where Newport City its shocking we are being treated as second class citizens

As for online rights this is well known you no longer have them so stop peddling that one out

It is all a cop out from BBC Radio Cardiff and some other parts of Wales
Shocking

Jim Drewett

I like the bit about 'making decisions on sports coverage based upon audience listening habits'. So they broadcast less of interest to our supporters hence fewer listeners so that leads them to broadcast even less coverage of Newport County. On that argument they have it all stitched up.

George Street-Bridge wrote:It's like something from the wonderful W1A. "This is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it, better."
That was exactly what came to my mind too! I can only deduce that decisions around BBC Wales programming are being made by Intern Will ("Hmm? Sorry? Oh, crap. Yah").

First it was not wanting to interfere with Janice Long programmes, but most County games are played on a Saturday afternoon whereas JL broadcasts on weekday evenings. So why can't we have County commentaries on weekends only.

Now they want fewer hours of sports output, of higher quality. So how come they send Rob Phillips, Radio Wales' highest quality commentator, at Newport County's and the licence payer's expense, to sit on his hands for 90 minutes rather than commentate on the game. It doesn't cost any more to broadcast County's games on AM than Cardiff City's games. Also if they want fewer hours of output, why are they broadcasting every minute of every Glamorgan cricket match. A County Championship match lasts 24 hours. They even send Nick Webb and/or Edward Bevan to away matches as far way as Durham, even though the home side's local radio station is also broadcasting the match online. Think of the hotel and travelling expenses.

UPTHEPORT wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

Complain here just sent mine

Just had this Reply

Dear Mr Drewett,

Thank you for contacting us regarding this season’s Radio Wales football coverage.

We’re sorry to hear that you’re unhappy with the coverage Newport County receives on the station.

We have made a number of changes to the volume of sport output on BBC Radio Wales and we’re looking at a variety of measures across the station to strengthen our listenership.

In terms of sport programming, we feel we are better placed to focus our resources on fewer hours of output, of higher quality, and point to commentary online where possible. This is a move we started to make a number of years ago with other sports such as cricket and rugby.

In relation to Newport County, as with previous seasons, key games will continue to be carried on our analogue/FM transmitters. Decisions on sports coverage have been made based on audience listening habits. Beyond considerations about broad audience demand, we’re also limited by analogue transmitters which don’t provide targeted coverage. We’ve made representations to the league regarding online commentary rights and have informed that they won’t be available to us this season, we will request again for next year – this is regrettable but beyond our control.

What we have been able to provide is a new sports programme on Friday nights, which will discuss Newport County related matters. In addition, we have also released a new Welsh football podcast which, for the first time, will cover all teams, not just Cardiff and Swansea.

We take very seriously the feedback we get from our audiences and are focussed on ensuring the BBC Radio Wales is the radio station for the whole nation.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Regards,

Peredur Jones
Audience Services, BBC Cymru Wales
03703 500 700

BBC Complaints
http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints
Jim, that is a stereotyped reply exactly the same as the one that I received. I have just resent the complaint saying, in brief, that the answer did not reply to the points I raised. Why it took so long to send a photocopied reply I do not know.
We need to get this in the press as complaining to the BBC is a waste of time. Biased ********

lowandhardandinthecorner wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:The BBC is the best broadcaster in the world.

As the BBC keep telling us.
Best of a bad bunch? the Tory-biased bunch of cnuts
For unbiased news I'd go Al Jazeera or CNN over the BBC every time. Both explain more and don't push an agenda.

Best of a bad bunch? the Tory-biased bunch of cnuts[/quote]

Your prejudices are showing there LowHard. I didn't think this is meant to be a political Forum.
But in response to your unnecessary comment, the BBC is a left-wing organisation. Haven't you noticed?