Re: BBC Cardiff

Sorry, but I've got to ask: why on earth are you contacting the First Minister? The first rule of lobbying is talk to the right person.

Even if Carwyn gets lots of enquiries and writes to Radio Wales on your behalf, he'll likely get the same response as the Newport AMs and MPs have received. What you need to do is to change the mind of the person who wrote that response and made the original decisions. If that person is inundated with enquiries, it might force him to think again.

As I said on p1, the name of that individual is Colin Paterson, and you can contact him via Twitter or e-mail Colin.Paterson@bbc.co.uk - I'd encourage you to do so!

I imagine Carwyn's got his hands a bit full at the moment...

I haven't listened to BBC Radio Wales in years but from what I remember they, and BBC Wales as a whole, have always been very Cardiff-centric. Perhaps unsurprising given that they are the largest city in Wales but, given that the combined populations of Swansea and Cardiff are larger than that of Cardiff (I think...), is frustrating nonetheless.

I feel like Newport and its football team have always been looked over by the Taffia, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

I listened to Radio Wales last night - and in fairness to City, their game was entertaining, and there were semi-regular updates from our match at the Broadfield Stadium. But once City were 3-0 up against ten men, surely it would have been reasonable to have switched commentary to our game which was on a knife-edge at that stage?

Kairdiff Exile wrote:I listened to Radio Wales last night - and in fairness to City, their game was entertaining, and there were semi-regular updates from our match at the Broadfield Stadium. But once City were 3-0 up against ten men, surely it would have been reasonable to have switched commentary to our game which was on a knife-edge at that stage?
Always ask yourself how it feels from the other perspective. Imagine County were 3-0 up against ten man Nott's County and about to go top of league two. Twenty minutes from time the commentator says, "We're leaving this game now to take you to Bracknell where Merthyr are involved in a very tight game."

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Kairdiff Exile wrote:I listened to Radio Wales last night - and in fairness to City, their game was entertaining, and there were semi-regular updates from our match at the Broadfield Stadium. But once City were 3-0 up against ten men, surely it would have been reasonable to have switched commentary to our game which was on a knife-edge at that stage?
Always ask yourself how it feels from the other perspective. Imagine County were 3-0 up against ten man Nott's County and about to go top of league two. Twenty minutes from time the commentator says, "We're leaving this game now to take you to Bracknell where Merthyr are involved in a very tight game."
I see your point - but I think I'd be fine with that! They're meant to be the radio station for the whole of Wales, so there's a geographical imperative to spread the coverage, plus from a neutral's point of view I'd rather hear commentary on a tight game than a walkover.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
I see your point - but I think I'd be fine with that! They're meant to be the radio station for the whole of Wales, so there's a geographical imperative to spread the coverage, plus from a neutral's point of view I'd rather hear commentary on a tight game than a walkover.
In fairness the sooner Newport declares itself a city state the better. Neither England nor Wales really want us. :grin:

Does it really matter that we are not getting the attention from BBC Wales or ITV Wales. It was unsurprising that we didn't get the attention last night as Cardiff City v Leeds United was a top of the table match in The Championship.

Sometimes it is better to fly under the radar and allow Newport County to get their own momentum rather than worry about local media attention. If County keep going around the top of League Two then it won't be just local media attention that would get County noticed.
Last edited by david_g_barron on September 27th, 2017, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

david_g_barron wrote:Does it really matter that we are not getting the attention from BBC Wales. It was unsurprising that we didn't get the attention last night as Cardiff City v Leeds United was a top of the table match in The Championship.

Sometimes it is better to fly under the radar and allow Newport County to get their own momentum rather than worry about local media attention. If County keep going around the top of League Two then it won't be just local media attention that would get County noticed.
It does matter when supporters like me want to hear live commentary of our matches. I'm not saying in general we should get the same attention as Swansea and Cardiff, but commentary of the game isn't asking much is it. Last night at half time they didn't even give a summary of how the half progressed. It's wrong on any level.