Your favourite ever County game ?

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Blackandamber

Rank

Forum Patron!

Cwmbran

Re: Your favourite ever County game ?

Postby Blackandamber » September 11th, 2017, 10:22 pm

I can't decide which was my favourite ever game, but like others I have fond memories of:

The 3-2 win over Sheffield Wed in 1964 - the only time I've seen the County beat a top tier team (and I believe it was the last time it happened).
The win against Workington in the first Great Escape.
The 4-2 win at Walsall to win promotion from the 4th division.
The CZJ home match.
The play-off win at Wembley.
The win at Hereford in the Conference.
The 4-3 win at Weston.

Other games not mentioned I believe include the 1-1 draw at first division Southampton (with the famous Gerald King penalty), the 2-0 win at Portsmouth a few seasons ago, the 5-3 win at Gresley Rovers, the goalless draw at Wealdstone to ensure our first visit to Wembley, and of course the final game of last season wasn't bad either
no avatar
User

excessbee

Postby excessbee » September 11th, 2017, 11:40 pm

Surprised this one hasn't got a mention. Away at Oxford towards the end of 82-83 season. A 0-3 win when Oxford were high in the table and I think Ron Atkinson was managing them.
User

AmberCelt

Somerton

Postby AmberCelt » September 11th, 2017, 11:45 pm

Got to add beating Cardiff 2-0 in the Welsh Cup in 79/80
no avatar
User

Justanordinaryfan

Postby Justanordinaryfan » September 12th, 2017, 7:11 am

AmberCelt wrote:Got to add beating Cardiff 2-0 in the Welsh Cup in 79/80

Yep I agree, that game is way up there. For some reason Tynans header at the Railway End, still remains one of my favourite County goals!!
no avatar
User

guest101

Rank

Forum Patron!

Postby guest101 » September 12th, 2017, 7:15 am

Also my worst. Orient at home last season. As before the game our chairman told bbc wales that westley would manage us next season

after the worst performance i've ever seen. it all changed and the guy was sacked. Without that horific performance we wouldn't of sacked him until a few games later if at all. we wouldn't of had the great escape and we wouldn't now have a club " coming along nicely". we'd have a club in turmoil. So my favourite ever game was orient last season

Rob
no avatar
User

amberbhoy

Postby amberbhoy » September 12th, 2017, 9:34 am

Notts last year ,play off final, beating them down the road in the league cup after playing both legs away. Oxford 3 - 0 at the Manor Ground, West Ham in the cup. Walsall, Shrewsbury away. Everton with Cardiff and Millwall fans also in the away end.
no avatar
User

South London Exile

SE19

Postby South London Exile » September 12th, 2017, 11:20 am

Can't see how anyone under 30 can say anything other than Hereford away promotion season, what a game, what a result, what a season! Remember walking back to the car with my old man convinced that one way or another we would be promoted.

Notts County last season comes close in terms of being put through the ringer, I was an absolute wreck by the end, physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted!

Oh to be a County fan...
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Postby Percy plunkett » September 12th, 2017, 11:27 am

South London Exile wrote:Can't see how anyone under 30 can say anything other than Hereford away promotion season, what a game, what a result, what a season! Remember walking back to the car with my old man convinced that one way or another we would be promoted.

Notts County last season comes close in terms of being put through the ringer, I was an absolute wreck by the end, physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted!

Oh to be a County fan...

Agree with that but,you'd have to be well over 30 to understand the Hereford thing.It was 1972 when I took a dislike of them when they kicked lumps out of our players home and away.
no avatar
User

ajs

Postby ajs » September 12th, 2017, 12:27 pm

25 Sep 1952 Newport County v Coventry City D 4-4 Division Three (South) I think Len Staples scored after being injured and playing on the left wing as a passenger
no avatar
User

BertieB

Postby BertieB » September 12th, 2017, 1:50 pm

NO CONTEST..................Wembley both times, I stilll cant believe County got there !!!.............Bob Bassett
no avatar
User

North London Exile

Hornsey Rise

Postby North London Exile » September 12th, 2017, 1:56 pm

My first ever County game, in the League Cup away to Chelsea in 1974, when we put up a real fight before going down 4-2.

In recent times, also worth mentioning our 3-1 League Cup win against Brighton and Hove Albion at the Amex (reminded when it was featured on Football Focus last Saturday), with a particularly fine goal by Danny Crow. In 2013 that was the icing on the cake following our play off win at Wembley, marred only by the career ending injury to Byron Anthony. But the team's loss seems to have been the Academy's gain.
no avatar
User

South London Exile

SE19

Postby South London Exile » September 12th, 2017, 2:46 pm

North London Exile wrote:My first ever County game, in the League Cup away to Chelsea in 1974, when we put up a real fight before going down 4-2.

In recent times, also worth mentioning our 3-1 League Cup win against Brighton and Hove Albion at the Amex (reminded when it was featured on Football Focus last Saturday), with a particularly fine goal by Danny Crow. In 2013 that was the icing on the cake following our play off win at Wembley, marred only by the career ending injury to Byron Anthony. But the team's loss seems to have been the Academy's gain.

Unfortunately, like you say, the image that sticks in my head from that game is the Lord getting stretchered off :cry: ....

Marred what was otherwise an excellent win in I would say the best stadium we've played in in recent years... and yes I include Wembley in that!
no avatar
User

Devonian Exile

Postby Devonian Exile » September 13th, 2017, 12:12 am

amberbhoy wrote:Notts last year ,play off final, beating them down the road in the league cup after playing both legs away. Oxford 3 - 0 at the Manor Ground, West Ham in the cup. Walsall, Shrewsbury away. Everton with Cardiff and Millwall fans also in the away end.

Yep. Those two 3 0 wins, Oxford away and Shrewsbury away Welsh cup final tipped it for me, but also that hellenic league title clincher at abingdon......
Previous