Your favourite ever County game ?

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: Your favourite ever County game ?

Postby Stan A. Einstein » September 11th, 2017, 8:24 pm

Cornish Exile wrote:F.A.Cup 3rd Round Jan 1964.

County 4 Sheffield Wednesday 3.

I wasn't there but I thought it was 3-2.
no avatar
User

Bristolexile

Postby Bristolexile » September 11th, 2017, 8:29 pm

Workington T at Somerton Park. A game that we had to win to stay in the football league. We did win and kept our status in the old Div 4. I will also say that the other game was a win against Walsall up at their place to get promoted to the old Div 3. Mind you nothing beats the game against Notts County last season. Never a dull moment if you are a Newport County supporter. Good job I don't suffer from high blood pressure ...... yet
no avatar
User

Cornish Exile

Postby Cornish Exile » September 11th, 2017, 8:34 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Cornish Exile wrote:F.A.Cup 3rd Round Jan 1964.

County 4 Sheffield Wednesday 3.

I wasn't there but I thought it was 3-2.

You're right there Stan. Just another senior moment. I can remember there were a lot of goals. Still my favourite game.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Postby pembsexile » September 11th, 2017, 8:50 pm

For some reason I don't remember most of the mediocre games in the 60s and 70s that I used to attend. Lots of nondescript games against the likes of Workington, Hartlepool, Barrow, Southport, Torquay and the like.

Funnily enough, I remember stupid things like the Cromwell choir getting to the finals of the fans singing competition - that must have been about 1969. Not a game memory of course but County related nonetheless. It was actually televised on BBC. Straw matting on the corner flags after the speedway had been there the previous Friday. Happy days.

Question - does anyone remember Tommy Tynans first game. My brother in law tells me we were there but I can't remember it.

The ones I do remember are the biggies. Wrong result, but firmly etched in my memory is CZJ at home. Last game I attended with my dad. Right result - beating the other team on Easter Monday to go top of the league with 6 games to go 82/83 I think. That's the one for me. I was one of over 16,000 there.
no avatar
User

Kevinmoorefellover

Postby Kevinmoorefellover » September 11th, 2017, 8:52 pm

2nd Jan 1978: County 5 Northampton 3 - Goddard 2, Clark 2, Jones.

I've never forgotten this game or the chant of 'we want six' that went up after the 5th goal went in. The chant was changed halfway through by the County fans to something that sounded very similar but was a request of a very different kind.

Derrick Christie was playing for Northampton that day, a real quality lower league striker. Not as good as Goddard though.
User

AmberCelt

Somerton

Postby AmberCelt » September 11th, 2017, 8:53 pm

Was Tommy 's first game a 2-4 loss on a rotten night at home to Bradford?
no avatar
User

Goalhanger

Postby Goalhanger » September 11th, 2017, 8:55 pm

Walsall away last game of the season 2-4.
Their only home defeat of the season if my memory serves me right. We took about 4,500 - great day and atmosphere! Great memories of that day.
After the game we walked to where we thought our coach was parked, only to walk straight into fans fighting!
I got separated from my mates and ended up at the local nick where I was lucky enough to meet a chap from Newport. He had to drive all the way to Walsall to pick up his 12 yr old son who was carried out of the ground 'drunk and incapable' and got carted off to a cell to sober up. I actually remembered seeing him getting carried out by the law. It turned out to be my lucky day.
I've no idea who the chap was/is, but he gave me a lift back to Newport for which am eternally grateful.

Also Hereford away 2-3 - superb night!
Last edited by Goalhanger on September 11th, 2017, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Postby pembsexile » September 11th, 2017, 8:57 pm

AmberCelt wrote:Was Tommy 's first game a 2-4 loss on a rotten night at home to Bradford?

If it was mate then I certainly wasn't at that one. Apart from special occasions it was mostly weekenders for me, CZJ and redturds excepted.
no avatar
User

Kevinmoorefellover

Postby Kevinmoorefellover » September 11th, 2017, 9:00 pm

AmberCelt wrote:Was Tommy 's first game a 2-4 loss on a rotten night at home to Bradford?

I think it was and for some reason I believe it was the first occasion we played under our new floodlights. The Bradford fullback Ces Podd had Kevin Moore in his pocket all night and I don't think I ever saw such a thing happen to Kevin before or after that.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » September 11th, 2017, 9:26 pm

pembsexile wrote:

If it was mate then I certainly wasn't at that one. Apart from special occasions it was mostly weekenders for me, CZJ and redturds excepted.

It was. It was also the night we had our new floodlights in use.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » September 11th, 2017, 9:28 pm

Kevinmoorefellover wrote:2nd Jan 1978: County 5 Northampton 3 - Goddard 2, Clark 2, Jones.

I've never forgotten this game or the chant of 'we want six' that went up after the 5th goal went in. The chant was changed halfway through by the County fans to something that sounded very similar but was a request of a very different kind.

Derrick Christie was playing for Northampton that day, a real quality lower league striker. Not as good as Goddard though.

I remember that at 5-3 Plumley was called to make two cracking saves.
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Postby Percy plunkett » September 11th, 2017, 9:58 pm

No,the match before away Huddersfield 0-1Dave Bruton.Tynan had a very quiet debut,some fans wondered why we splashed out cash for him.
no avatar
User

Corpaboy

Postby Corpaboy » September 11th, 2017, 10:00 pm

Can't single out one particular game but for me ........
The "old" days has to be Walsall away , Shrewsbury in Welsh Cup Final , and CZJ

"Modern" times ..... playoff final obviously , I'd say Notts last game last season , and another great one was Bristol Rovers away 2 seasons ago ..... 4-1 win

Also enjoyed our 3 wins on the bounce at Fratton Park !!
no avatar
User

frostyjohn

Postby frostyjohn » September 11th, 2017, 10:11 pm

Home to Sheffield Wednesday in cup 1964 - same season Newport RFC beat New Zealand. Away to Shrewsbury Town to win Welsh Cup - magic!
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Postby Percy plunkett » September 11th, 2017, 10:16 pm

Home to Luton Jan 1913.The Fyfe boys were unstoppable that day.
PreviousNext