To even it up.

Newport County natter & football chatter.
User

Catford Richard

South London

Re: To even it up.

Postby Catford Richard » September 11th, 2017, 7:45 pm

Cambridge away. Edinburghs last game. The steward wouldn't let me out early, said I was off to go and try and start trouble at the home end. Pleaded not to have to watch any more and that my wife was waiting in the town centre for us to have dinner. Excellent burritos though have to say.
no avatar
User

Corpaboy

Postby Corpaboy » September 11th, 2017, 10:04 pm

Crawley under Butcher .
The only game where I've been close to leaving 10 minutes into the second half , and only stayed til the end to see him off !!

Apart from that I'd say any game we've lost to the RedTurds
no avatar
User

frostyjohn

Postby frostyjohn » September 11th, 2017, 10:07 pm

Welsh Cup Final - Borough United. Manager apologised to supporters.
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Postby Percy plunkett » September 11th, 2017, 10:10 pm

Away to Mardy,Nov 30th 1912.
no avatar
User

Corpaboy

Postby Corpaboy » September 11th, 2017, 10:12 pm

Percy plunkett wrote:Away to Mardy,Nov 30th 1912.

Remember it well !!!!
no avatar
User

Blackandamber

Cwmbran

Postby Blackandamber » September 11th, 2017, 10:30 pm

frostyjohn wrote:Welsh Cup Final - Borough United. Manager apologised to supporters.

That would probably be my worst / most disappointing game. It was 2nd leg of the Welsh Cup final in 1962/63. We should have had our first taste of European football nearly 20 years before the Carl Zeiss Jena season.
no avatar
User

mike wilks

Bishop's Cleeve

Postby mike wilks » September 11th, 2017, 10:37 pm

frostyjohn wrote:Welsh Cup Final - Borough United. Manager apologised to supporters.

Borough United was a two legged final, and I recall the 1-2 away defeat, but if I remember correctly the second leg was played at Somerton Park midweek and a 3PM Kick off where we huffed and puffed to a 0-0 draw.....I believe they were knocked out of the ECWC? by Benfica...... :?
User

AmberCelt

Somerton

Postby AmberCelt » September 11th, 2017, 10:57 pm

Mangotsfield,Merthyr,Team Bath all in the Cup at Spytty
no avatar
User

excessbee

Postby excessbee » September 11th, 2017, 11:50 pm

Sittingbourne away. Think that was the last game for Graham Rogers as manager.
no avatar
User

Goddard & woods

Lliswerry

Postby Goddard & woods » September 12th, 2017, 6:59 am

Remember that seasons start was very poor lost the first 4 home games to Aldershot Stockport Crewe and Wimbledon and 7 out of the first 8 with the only win against newly promoted Wigan away 3-2. First home win was on October the 14th against Huddersfield 2-1 although we picked up 2 other away wins against Bradford City and Scunthorpe. New manager that season after Addison departed was Len Ashurst and the season got better as it went on with the likes of Tommy Tynan and Kevin Moore coming in mid season, didn't do too bad after that for a few seasons with promotion and welsh cup double the following season.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Postby George Street-Bridge » September 12th, 2017, 7:03 am

Yes, it was. That one will do for me too. It's the only time I can recall obvious discord among our players.

Honourable mention for a 0-4 defeat at Aldershot when Gary Bell failed to convert a late penalty for a consolation. My memory might be letting me down but I think he took it three times and still failed to score.

[Edit: reply to agree on Sittingbourne.]
Last edited by George Street-Bridge on September 13th, 2017, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

guest101

Postby guest101 » September 12th, 2017, 7:10 am

Orient last season. before the game in the Bisley Westley did pre match and just confirmed my beliefs that he was an egotistical maniac. Who only ever cared about himself. I then had to endure a bunch of kids play us off the beach. A beach that like everything else Westley had blamed for the reason we were in the mire. When clearly it was down to his man management of players. his total lack of respect for his employees and disrespect for us fans. for all the above Orient last season was my lowest point watching the county.

Rob
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Postby George Street-Bridge » September 12th, 2017, 7:13 am

That's my worst ever home performance but fair play, the Orient kids played out of their skins.
no avatar
User

North London Exile

Hornsey Rise

Postby North London Exile » September 12th, 2017, 1:47 pm

For me, the infamous 12 Noon Sunday kick off with the terrace lined by the old bill at Lewes around 2007. How and why I made it to that match I shall never know. I was so distracted afterwards, I lost my way and landed up in a village with a pub named the Abergavenny Arms. Incidentally you see a lot more sheep on the way to Lewes than en route to Newport. Where are they now btw, Lewes I mean?

A close second was on bank holiday Monday at Kidderminster four or five years later. Leading 2-0 at 86 minutes, we contrived to lose 3-2. I also collected a parking ticket for my pains. Now where are they?

Nice to look back and see our respective positions today.
no avatar
User

Bristolexile

Postby Bristolexile » September 12th, 2017, 3:53 pm

Paulton Rovers in the cup and L/Orient last season are 2 that stick out for me.
PreviousNext