Cheltenham fan ( i come in peace)

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Blakey91

Cheltenham fan ( i come in peace)

Postby Blakey91 » September 12th, 2017, 7:57 am

Hi guys, hoping for a entertaining game tonight , got a question to ask if someone could help me, I'm looking to get the train down for the game I heard it's a short walking distance to the ground from the train station is that correct ?

also do you think it will give me enough time to get the train back after the game ? game finishes at 9:30 the train back to Cheltenham is at 10:05 do you think that would be pushing it late ?
no avatar
User

elgy59

Re: Cheltenham fan ( i come in peace)

Postby elgy59 » September 12th, 2017, 8:02 am

5 min walk no problem catching train back home
User

MisterB

Postby MisterB » September 12th, 2017, 8:02 am

Station is 10 min walk from the away end.
no avatar
User

NearlyDead

Postby NearlyDead » September 12th, 2017, 8:03 am

It's about a "5-minute" walk. Maybe 10 at most.
no avatar
User

Blakey91

Postby Blakey91 » September 12th, 2017, 8:04 am

Thanks elgy , I'm looking forward to the game tonight promising signs from us vs Yeovil Saturday (Yeovil looked poor though) we just need to find the back of the net... you guys are in good form to so should be a good game.. looks like a lot of your guys are going for a convincing win according to there score predictions I don't think it will be that plain sailing but let's wait and see :)
no avatar
User

elgy59

Postby elgy59 » September 12th, 2017, 8:08 am

I certainly dont think it will be plain sailing either
no avatar
User

Blakey91

Postby Blakey91 » September 12th, 2017, 8:16 am

Is there like a macdonalds near the train station ? also is it a easy walk to the stadium ? directions wise ? I came last season in a entertaining 2-2 draw but came in car.
no avatar
User

Newportonian

Rank

Forum Patron!

Postby Newportonian » September 12th, 2017, 8:54 am

There is a mac close by along with other offerings, just ask someone sensible :lol:
no avatar
User

newgroundrodney

Rank

Forum Patron!

Cardiff, UK

Postby newgroundrodney » September 12th, 2017, 9:03 am

Blakey91 wrote:Is there like a macdonalds near the train station ? also is it a easy walk to the stadium ? directions wise ? I came last season in a entertaining 2-2 draw but came in car.

Can I just add my tuppence worth?
As someone who lives in Cardiff, frequently after the night games finish, I have to also get to the station. I have also visited Rodney Parade as an away fan.
Here are a few things to maybe think about:

The away end may not empty very quickly so try to be near an exit/ gangway...
There may be 5 mins added on in each half meaning the final whistle may not blow until 21:42
In my experience, depending how young and spritely you are, the walking time is more like 15-18mins
The total time from final whistle to reaching the train platform (after finding correct platform) will be around 18-22 mins.
There will probably be some police at the train station directing away fans so that may help.

I know some on here will disagree with me, but I've done this so many times and it ain't 10 mins..... and it certainly isn't 5 mins!

When you come out of the train station:
turn left.....walk straight ahead.... cross over by the shop called "Pioneer".....go round to your left, and head for the underpass..... look for a tall dark blue office block as a landmark....... cross the road, turn right in underpass, then LEFT up the slope to the bridge...... cross the river then turn immediately right by the "green dome" ..... walk down, Rodney Parade is ahead of you.... then it's up to you where you go depending on how early you are.
You can use the shops, Mc.donalds in the City Centre, but if you lose your bearings, the away end can easily be reached by crossing the white "Millennium Bridge" (not being from Newport, I don't know what it's called - - - but it looks like an old fashioned baby's nappy pin).......
Don't look for floodlight pylons cos you probably wont see them.

After the game, for a person visiting the city, who doesn't know the exact way, in the dark, walking steadily, I'd say nearer 18 - 22 mins from leaving your seat, to reaching the station platform.

I hope any of this helps at all........enjoy the game! (2-0 Newport!) :grin:
no avatar
User

South London Exile

SE19

Postby South London Exile » September 12th, 2017, 11:10 am

Blakey91 wrote:Is there like a macdonalds near the train station ? also is it a easy walk to the stadium ? directions wise ? I came last season in a entertaining 2-2 draw but came in car.

You don't want to sample some of our fine local cuisine?..
User

Ado

Postby Ado » September 12th, 2017, 12:30 pm

It's definitely not a 5 minute walk - 10 minutes at least
User

phil_in_npton

Postby phil_in_npton » September 12th, 2017, 9:49 pm

Good Evening!

your train is on time! 22.05

Platform 3

now time is 21.48..

hope you make it!

Phil in Npton
User

southernfan

Happyville, one day soon relocating to Clappyville (hopefully this season)

Postby southernfan » September 12th, 2017, 10:00 pm

:shock: There must be some heavy boots in Newport if anyone needs more than 5 minutes to get to the station from RP.
no avatar
User

Corpaboy

Postby Corpaboy » September 12th, 2017, 10:26 pm

You're gonna get wet ........
Safe trip home , mate .
All the best for the season :lol:
no avatar
User

mad norm

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Postby mad norm » September 12th, 2017, 10:28 pm

I couldn't have made it in five mins when I was Art College let alone now when I'm 103 :mrgreen: