EXILES GRANDSTAND - CHELTENHAM (HOME)

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

bishbashbosh

Re: EXILES GRANDSTAND - CHELTENHAM (HOME)

Postby bishbashbosh » September 13th, 2017, 7:08 pm

A few decent reviews of the game on here today, agree with the majority about the midfield, dolans passing was poor and always comes out second best in a headed dual, rigg runs about and makes a nuisance of himself, but has no end product going into final third. We need a box to box midfielder like Byrne who can pick a pass and play in amond.

Although the cries of put Frank up front were answered by flynn, I think he best picking the ball out put wide and coming in on his right foot, we just need the midfield to get there and put some numbers in the box.

The last twenty minutes was crying out for reynolds to go up front and chase the ball, seeing Frank was running on fumes and that was our only tactic second half.

However, many positives have been highlighted and we were fortunate Cheltenham were woeful up front. They will struggle this season as they don't have a striker who looks like he can get ten to goals let alone 15/20
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Postby Percy plunkett » September 13th, 2017, 8:10 pm

bishbashbosh wrote:A few decent reviews of the game on here today, agree with the majority about the midfield, dolans passing was poor and always comes out second best in a headed dual, rigg runs about and makes a nuisance of himself, but has no end product going into final third. We need a box to box midfielder like Byrne who can pick a pass and play in amond.

Although the cries of put Frank up front were answered by flynn, I think he best picking the ball out put wide and coming in on his right foot, we just need the midfield to get there and put some numbers in the box.

The last twenty minutes was crying out for reynolds to go up front and chase the ball, seeing Frank was running on fumes and that was our only tactic second half.

However, many positives have been highlighted and we were fortunate Cheltenham were woeful up front. They will struggle this season as they don't have a striker who looks like he can get ten to goals let alone 15/20

Lamar would have been the right option but maybe MF didn't want to risk him with this injury he has had.Hopefully he will be 100% for Saturday as will Mccoulsky.
no avatar
User

mike wilks

Bishop's Cleeve

Postby mike wilks » September 13th, 2017, 8:12 pm

Further to my original post, We are a good side, particularly defensively, we have a strikeforce in totality that can be a force in itself, but we have a current muddle of a midfield that is the missing link in being a great side!
no avatar
User

somerton moss

Postby somerton moss » September 13th, 2017, 8:56 pm

I saw on Saturday how very poor our midfield are. To me Dolan looks out of shape slow and clueless, Cole what I have seen is not a grafter, Tozer to be honest too early to judge needs more game time, Rigg is not defensively minded and should just play behind two strikers or out wide as a winger, Tom Owen Evans not a consistent performer and flatters to deceive. Shows how concerned MF is to play Bennett in the midfield role and WE know that is not his best position.
With the midfield as it is you would do no worse than bring J Barnum Bobb back into a right midfield role, he has a better engine than the above, he can chase back and support the defence which has really not been happening he is certainly better offensively with his pace but can be no worse defensively than what we have got. Drastic performances requires something innovative and new and putting him into the team will give a reality check to our underachieving midfielders who are giving our defenders far too much work to do and they (the defence) are camouflaging how poor our midfield are performing at present. Our defence have all been outstanding and producing a masterclass game after game. JBB not as daft as it seems imho.
User

lowandhardandinthecorner

Peoples Republic of Malpas

Postby lowandhardandinthecorner » September 13th, 2017, 10:57 pm

somerton moss wrote:I saw on Saturday how very poor our midfield are. To me Dolan looks out of shape slow and clueless, Cole what I have seen is not a grafter, Tozer to be honest too early to judge needs more game time, Rigg is not defensively minded and should just play behind two strikers or out wide as a winger, Tom Owen Evans not a consistent performer and flatters to deceive. Shows how concerned MF is to play Bennett in the midfield role and WE know that is not his best position.
With the midfield as it is you would do no worse than bring J Barnum Bobb back into a right midfield role, he has a better engine than the above, he can chase back and support the defence which has really not been happening he is certainly better offensively with his pace but can be no worse defensively than what we have got. Drastic performances requires something innovative and new and putting him into the team will give a reality check to our underachieving midfielders who are giving our defenders far too much work to do and they (the defence) are camouflaging how poor our midfield are performing at present. Our defence have all been outstanding and producing a masterclass game after game. JBB not as daft as it seems imho.

Great post, too much being asked of the back four, I know I'm fed up ( so I'm sure they are ) of the midfield going absent for most of the game. Absolutely no pressure on the opposition midfield who were free to weave as many pretty patterns as they wished. The last line of their report should be " must do better " , at times the oppo had acres of space to pick their passes and play pretty triangles. If I'd tried what they were doing when I was playing I'd have ended up in the third row of the terrace ( as if where I played actually had anything as sophisticated as terraces ) :oops:
The home games I've seen, we were totally outplayed for the first quarter by Chesterfield and Cheltenham ( do we put Mogadon in the pre-match tea? ) and in the Wycombe and Cheltenham games they have been allowed to choreograph the second half. Nowhere near good enough by the midfield, look at the guys in front of you and behind you and die of shame :grin: Man up guys, you need to be on their toes not running at their heals : being the decent midfielder that he was let's hope Flynny can work out what's ( not ) happening.
no avatar
User

wattsville_boy

Postby wattsville_boy » September 15th, 2017, 12:22 pm

somerton moss wrote:I saw on Saturday how very poor our midfield are. To me Dolan looks out of shape slow and clueless, Cole what I have seen is not a grafter, Tozer to be honest too early to judge needs more game time, Rigg is not defensively minded and should just play behind two strikers or out wide as a winger, Tom Owen Evans not a consistent performer and flatters to deceive. Shows how concerned MF is to play Bennett in the midfield role and WE know that is not his best position.

Of course the other option is to play JBB at right back (or right wing-back) and shove Pipe into the middle of the midfield. I would think that the midfield would work better as they wouldn't want Pipe snarling at them... :)
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Postby Percy plunkett » September 15th, 2017, 7:32 pm

wattsville_boy wrote:

Of course the other option is to play JBB at right back (or right wing-back) and shove Pipe into the middle of the midfield. I would think that the midfield would work better as they wouldn't want Pipe snarling at them... :)

Jazzi could do a job RM in a 4 4 2 formation to give Pipe some cover and an alternative to Willmott.However,MF doesn't want him it seems so he will end up on loan in National Lg quite soon I would think.
Previous