EXILES GRANDSTAND - CHELTENHAM (HOME)

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Posts

4906

Re: EXILES GRANDSTAND - CHELTENHAM (HOME)

Postby George Street-Bridge » September 13th, 2017, 12:18 am

Everyone on the pitch deserved a medal, conditions were horrendous. Cheltenham outpassed us but had no cutting edge.

Special mention for the lad with the big flag before the game, heroic effort! Talk on the radio on the way home was of Storm Aileen yet to arrive, but it certainly felt like it was there already.
User avatar
User

lowandhardandinthecorner

Rank

Forum Patron!

Posts

7044

Location

Peoples Republic of Malpas

Re: EXILES GRANDSTAND - CHELTENHAM (HOME)

Postby lowandhardandinthecorner » September 13th, 2017, 1:08 am

I'd be bereft if I was a Cheltenham fan. I thought they outplayed us for most of the game as I believe the stats will show tomorrow. Same as Saturday , for the first quarter of an hour and the majority of the second half we were hanging on, great clearances, saves etc. They could and maybe should have scored 3 in the last five minutes alone.
I don't see the present side where the midfield is constantly overrun and frequently bossed as any sort of candidate for a playoff place. Let's hope time proves me wrong or Flynny finds the solution soon.
no avatar
User

mike wilks

Posts

526

Location

Bishop's Cleeve

Re: EXILES GRANDSTAND - CHELTENHAM (HOME)

Postby mike wilks » September 13th, 2017, 1:36 am

I felt it was another dogged defensive performance, in which Demetriou, Butler and White were superb, and Pipey would run through walls for us albeit he was playing in a more right sided midfield role, with Bennett taking up the right back position! Last season it would have been another game lost however as Cheltenham Town played the Lions share of Football, but seemed pretty toothless up front .....Whilst we certainly have set standards for the current season, in comparison to previous campaigns, I feel our midfield is imbalanced with the injury to Joss Labadie, as he and Dolan compliment each others game, alas once again following the captains loss, we seemed "all at sea"in the middle, as we were once again outsmarted in that area.
Well taken goal from a busy Padraig Amond, but Frank Nouble whilst an occasional a nuisance,, certainly IMHO didn't warrant a MOM award .....That again in my opinion should have gone to one of the initially mentioned.
It is often said that good teams win, even when they are not at there best, so on that note....COME ON 'U MIGHTY PORT
no avatar
User

Kevinmoorefellover

Rank

Forum Patron!

Posts

364

Re: EXILES GRANDSTAND - CHELTENHAM (HOME)

Postby Kevinmoorefellover » September 13th, 2017, 7:01 am

Nouble looks like a confidence player - I'm wondering whether the MOM award was asked for by someone as a favour to bolster his spirit. I don't think the lack of a midfield is helping his game at the moment.
User avatar
User

Lucky Mascot

Posts

1655

Re: EXILES GRANDSTAND - CHELTENHAM (HOME)

Postby Lucky Mascot » September 13th, 2017, 7:08 am

Injuries are not helping our cause.
Seemed a while sinse we have won a game like that.
Cheltengham were poor, we were lucky to win
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

Posts

12281

Location

MT

Re: EXILES GRANDSTAND - CHELTENHAM (HOME)

Postby Exile 1976 » September 13th, 2017, 7:33 am

I thought that was our worst performance since Flynny took over (including the hammering at Plymouth), albeit in horrendous conditions.
Cheltenham easily the better of the two sides but we were lucky their strikeforce is toothless.
Good performances from Day, (great save in stoppage time), White, Demetriou & Pipe, the rest were poor, especially Rigg & Dolan, BUT, last season we'd have lost that game and any time you can take 3pts after playing like that is a huge bonus .....long may it continue.
Missed Labadie.

White MotM by a country mile imo
no avatar
User

neilcork68

Posts

5231

Re: EXILES GRANDSTAND - CHELTENHAM (HOME)

Postby neilcork68 » September 13th, 2017, 8:50 am

Second moan of the season against MF

Can't fault what he has achieved up to now but his inexperience has shown in the last two games. For the second game in a row when we have been under pressure there are things I feel he should have done to try and resolve it.
Many are saying that the midfield has looked poor and over run because of the absence of Labadie . Granted this is true but the midfield isn't being helped when the ball isn't being held up by the strikers and coming straight back at us. For the second game running after 55 / 60 minutes Nouble has been way off the pace and offering very little. He's a big 'target man' but he isn't very good in the air , he hasn't been holding the ball up very well and has drifted through the last quarter of the game leaving Among to be the main outlet , and that's not his game.....MF has had options on the bench to try and resolve/ relieve the pressure by bringing on Quigley or Reynolds last night but he hasn't .I ask , why ? Does he not rate Quigley ? If not why is he in the squad ?
Also last night he brought on Wilmott and played him central midfield. The poor guy looked like a fish out of water in that position when he had the option of Cole if he wanted to change that position. Square pegs in round holes ?????
Once again the whole of the defence were immense last night under extremely difficult circumstances, weather and the almost constant pressure they were under.MF must be thankful to the last two managers who left him with a solid platform to build on.I was worried that we would really miss O'Brien when he got injured but Demetriou and White look as though they have been playing together for months.Add to them Pipe , Butler and Bennett and we look good at the back . Bennett came into the side last night and surely nobody could question his performance
Special mention about Butler who seems a totally different player this season .The last two games he has been my MOM
User avatar
User

Kairdiff Exile

Posts

322

Location

Our proud capital...

Re: EXILES GRANDSTAND - CHELTENHAM (HOME)

Postby Kairdiff Exile » September 13th, 2017, 9:01 am

Nothing to add to the discussion on the game - but have to say that 2,900 is a pathetic crowd for a local derby when we're in the middle of a good run. The people of Newport don't deserve a league side on that showing.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Posts

4906

Re: EXILES GRANDSTAND - CHELTENHAM (HOME)

Postby George Street-Bridge » September 13th, 2017, 9:21 am

Kairdiff Exile wrote:Nothing to add to the discussion on the game - but have to say that 2,900 is a pathetic crowd for a local derby when we're in the middle of a good run. The people of Newport don't deserve a league side on that showing.


In that weather it was a great turnout. Even people living a short walk away would have got soaked to the skin just getting to the ground and it was even worse at the end of the game. I got wet through sitting halfway up the Bisley.
no avatar
User

faerun exile

Posts

547

Re: EXILES GRANDSTAND - CHELTENHAM (HOME)

Postby faerun exile » September 13th, 2017, 9:23 am

Kairdiff Exile wrote:Nothing to add to the discussion on the game - but have to say that 2,900 is a pathetic crowd for a local derby when we're in the middle of a good run. The people of Newport don't deserve a league side on that showing.

Crowd was ok all things considered - weather, tv football and shite away support. Only 5 other crowds in L2 were above ours and 2 of those (Crewe / Mansfield) were by less than 100. To get 3,000 for a mid weeker shows good progress, no doubt bolstered by the STs. Good stuff.
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

Posts

12281

Location

MT

Re: EXILES GRANDSTAND - CHELTENHAM (HOME)

Postby Exile 1976 » September 13th, 2017, 9:28 am

Kairdiff Exile wrote:Nothing to add to the discussion on the game - but have to say that 2,900 is a pathetic crowd for a local derby when we're in the middle of a good run. The people of Newport don't deserve a league side on that showing.



Pissing down with rain, 3 days after our last home game, champions league on the box, 2900 fans was pretty decent considering Cheltenham only brought under 250, I thought.

Accrington (2nd in the league before last night, att:1,288) Barnet, Morecambe plus a few others all get less than us, do they not deserve a league side?
User avatar
User

Ado

Posts

503

Re: EXILES GRANDSTAND - CHELTENHAM (HOME)

Postby Ado » September 13th, 2017, 9:46 am

NewportExile wrote:I'm not out to get anyone and will always support any player that puts the shirt on but ..... The last two games when Tozer has come on we look a hell of a lot more likely to concede which is strange as he's a unit of a definsive midfielder

He really doesn't fill with me with Joy and I don't know what it is. (Maybe I'm holding a grudge after his antics last season)

All in all this result shows how far we have come as a team , never would've won that game the previous few seasons.


I disagree - he did more when he came on than Dolan did all game. Thought Dolan was awful and should have been subbed.
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

Posts

12281

Location

MT

Re: EXILES GRANDSTAND - CHELTENHAM (HOME)

Postby Exile 1976 » September 13th, 2017, 9:48 am

Ado wrote:
NewportExile wrote:I'm not out to get anyone and will always support any player that puts the shirt on but ..... The last two games when Tozer has come on we look a hell of a lot more likely to concede which is strange as he's a unit of a definsive midfielder

He really doesn't fill with me with Joy and I don't know what it is. (Maybe I'm holding a grudge after his antics last season)

All in all this result shows how far we have come as a team , never would've won that game the previous few seasons.


I disagree - he did more when he came on than Dolan did all game. Thought Dolan was awful and should have been subbed.



I thought Tozer was poor when he came on, BUT, Dolan was terrible from start to finish. His worst performance in a County shirt by a country mile
User avatar
User

Ado

Posts

503

Re: EXILES GRANDSTAND - CHELTENHAM (HOME)

Postby Ado » September 13th, 2017, 9:48 am

Exile 1976 wrote:I thought that was our worst performance since Flynny took over (including the hammering at Plymouth), albeit in horrendous conditions.
Cheltenham easily the better of the two sides but we were lucky their strikeforce is toothless.
Good performances from Day, (great save in stoppage time), White, Demetriou & Pipe, the rest were poor, especially Rigg & Dolan, BUT, last season we'd have lost that game and any time you can take 3pts after playing like that is a huge bonus .....long may it continue.
Missed Labadie.

White MotM by a country mile imo


I didn't think Rigg was poor by any means.
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

Posts

12281

Location

MT

Re: EXILES GRANDSTAND - CHELTENHAM (HOME)

Postby Exile 1976 » September 13th, 2017, 9:50 am

Ado wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:I thought that was our worst performance since Flynny took over (including the hammering at Plymouth), albeit in horrendous conditions.
Cheltenham easily the better of the two sides but we were lucky their strikeforce is toothless.
Good performances from Day, (great save in stoppage time), White, Demetriou & Pipe, the rest were poor, especially Rigg & Dolan, BUT, last season we'd have lost that game and any time you can take 3pts after playing like that is a huge bonus .....long may it continue.
Missed Labadie.

White MotM by a country mile imo


I didn't think Rigg was poor by any means.



Well we agree to disagree then Ado, I thought he was awful ..
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Amberexile, big baz, Kairdiff Exile, mike wilks, Newportonian, Willthiswork and 57 guests

Powered by phpBB ®