EXILES GRANDSTAND - CHELTENHAM (HOME)

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Re: EXILES GRANDSTAND - CHELTENHAM (HOME)

Postby George Street-Bridge » September 13th, 2017, 9:54 am

I was never confident any pass Dolan made was going to reach an amber shirt.
no avatar
User

faerun exile

Postby faerun exile » September 13th, 2017, 10:01 am

Didn't think the ref was too bad but should have played advantage when Frank was through on goal towards end of game. Also it must have been the longest 10 yards I've seen paced out by a ref for a free kick 2nd half.
no avatar
User

Fourthousand

Postby Fourthousand » September 13th, 2017, 10:38 am

Without singling out indivdual players I think its pretty clear to most the area that we need to address in orfer to improve as a force. The defence is working well together and as a Manager/coach I would spend zero time there as it is full of some pretty determined and focused guys but who are currently overworked.
The forward line; I think we have great scope here and with players coming back we have options. I don't believe they are currently receiving the service that is in line with their strengths though - neither is going to do anything with a ball lumped 30 yards in the air or crossing the line before they get within 20 yards of it. I would spend all my time with midfield. They are not working as a unit - they don't look like they are working together but more as individuals without purpose and look short of the leadership/ ditection that the defensive unit possess. No one is looking to hold onto the ball/shield it for 5 secs if need be.. Other midfield players could then make themselves available as they play themselves into position, the defence could take a breather, the oppo would have to get back and chase a while AND our forwards would then be able to make dangerous runs looking for the pass to their feet/behind the defence (instead of spending 95% of their time chasing down defenders) - we need the ball and when we havent got it we need to defend as a unit. It takes time with a midfield to get it right but even if we didnt/can't change the personnel they need to get more 'togetherness' and sense of purpose to do a job.
no avatar
User

Willthiswork

Postby Willthiswork » September 13th, 2017, 10:47 am

When we got the ball on the ground we often looked very competent and attacked well. Good signs.
User

lowandhardandinthecorner

Peoples Republic of Malpas

Postby lowandhardandinthecorner » September 13th, 2017, 10:57 am

Fourthousand wrote:Without singling out indivdual players I think its pretty clear to most the area that we need to address in orfer to improve as a force. The defence is working well together and as a Manager/coach I would spend zero time there as it is full of some pretty determined and focused guys but who are currently overworked.
The forward line; I think we have great scope here and with players coming back we have options. I don't believe they are currently receiving the service that is in line with their strengths though - neither is going to do anything with a ball lumped 30 yards in the air or crossing the line before they get within 20 yards of it. I would spend all my time with midfield. They are not working as a unit - they don't look like they are working together but more as individuals without purpose and look short of the leadership/ ditection that the defensive unit possess. No one is looking to hold onto the ball/shield it for 5 secs if need be.. Other midfield players could then make themselves available as they play themselves into position, the defence could take a breather, the oppo would have to get back and chase a while AND our forwards would then be able to make dangerous runs looking for the pass to their feet/behind the defence (instead of spending 95% of their time chasing down defenders) - we need the ball and when we havent got it we need to defend as a unit. It takes time with a midfield to get it right but even if we didnt/can't change the personnel they need to get more 'togetherness' and sense of purpose to do a job.

Amen to that! It's been a minor miracle that we've got points from the last two games given the midfield performances, needs sorting badly- can we get a loan?
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Postby George Street-Bridge » September 13th, 2017, 11:16 am

lowandhardandinthecorner wrote: can we get a loan?

Not until January. We can only sign free agents.
no avatar
User

neilcork68

Postby neilcork68 » September 13th, 2017, 11:21 am

Not until January

we have Cole and Tozer so do we need one ? We need the front men to hold the ball up more...Nouble hasnt been doing that very well during the last two games, Could Quigley ????
What harm would it have done MF trying it in the last two games in the second half where Nouble has been poor ?
User

Amberexile

Sheffield

Postby Amberexile » September 13th, 2017, 11:46 am

What harm would it have done, we will never know, but it could have lost us 4 points.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » September 13th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Amberexile wrote:What harm would it have done, we will never know, but it could have lost us 4 points.

As you say we will never know, it might have gained us two. As I am not attending games at the moment I can't comment. I found Neal's analysis interesting, his point if I have understood him correctly is that Nouble tires, as a consequence of which the forward line is unable to hold the ball leading to the midfield being overrun.

I'd be far more interested in your take on that view.
User

Amberexile

Sheffield

Postby Amberexile » September 13th, 2017, 1:34 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:What harm would it have done, we will never know, but it could have lost us 4 points.

As you say we will never know, it might have gained us two. As I am not attending games at the moment I can't comment. I found Neal's analysis interesting, his point if I have understood him correctly is that Nouble tires, as a consequence of which the forward line is unable to hold the ball leading to the midfield being overrun.

I'd be far more interested in your take on that view.

My take on that it is that is one of the many truisms of football and adds very little to any debate.

However, to develop my original point further, had we changed things, we could have lost four point, we could have gained 2 points and many other permutations in between. As we have both said, we will never know. Does this make it futile to debate whether Flynn's substitution tactics are correct?
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » September 13th, 2017, 2:37 pm

It seems to me that Neal has put forward an argument that Michael Flynn has not utilized his squad as well as he might have done. He has given his reasons and reasoning. That to me is debating the issue.

It's only a fun pastime but it does seem a whole lot more constructive and interesting than mere criticism or praise.
no avatar
User

Mike Kear

Postby Mike Kear » September 13th, 2017, 2:43 pm

Thought the whole midfield was poor from the first minute.
Nouble wasn't half as good as Saturday.
Thank goodness for the back 4 & Joe.
Amond will get regular goals like his last night.
Got to hold the ball in midfield.
Dolan was trying to do a Randal/Chapman but failed every time.
We needed the Captain or Tozer from the start.
If fit O'Brien at the back and Bennett as defensive midfield.
We made Cheltenham look like Champs.
If Amond was on there side we would of got stuffed.
Thank goodness they had nothing up front.
User

Amberexile

Sheffield

Postby Amberexile » September 13th, 2017, 3:06 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:It seems to me that Neal has put forward an argument that Michael Flynn has not utilized his squad as well as he might have done. He has given his reasons and reasoning. That to me is debating the issue.

It's only a fun pastime but it does seem a whole lot more constructive and interesting than mere criticism or praise.

While a different point to the one made in your earlier post, my take on it is the same. Of course, I wouldn't try to stop you if you did want to debate such a topic and if you posed a question on the subject that I found some merit in, I would respond directly to that question. Do you actually have something to say on the topic?

Just an observation but in my view, your time would be better spent actively engaging in a debate when you can rather than attempting to control and censor what others decide to post. :grin:
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » September 13th, 2017, 4:21 pm

Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:It seems to me that Neal has put forward an argument that Michael Flynn has not utilized his squad as well as he might have done. He has given his reasons and reasoning. That to me is debating the issue.

While a different point to the one made in your earlier post, my take on it is the same. Of course, I wouldn't try to stop you if you did want to debate such a topic and if you posed a question on the subject that I found some merit in, I would respond directly to that question. Do you actually have something to say on the topic?

Just an observation but in my view, your time would be better spent actively engaging in a debate when you can rather than attempting to control and censor what others decide to post. :grin:

I can't debate how the team are playing as I don't go to the games. I am interested in the view of you and everyone else as to how we are playing.
no avatar
User

wattsville_boy

Postby wattsville_boy » September 13th, 2017, 6:40 pm

Second game of the season for me (following Saturdays). Once again County rode their luck with the midfield being ineffective and the strikers appearing less interested than Saturday. It might have been the weather or it might be an indication of some trouble ahead. Based on the two games I would suggest there is sufficient evidence that County won't be at the wrong end of the table but likewise they are unlikely to be bothering the play-offs either unless Flynn can sort out his midfield and get his strikers playing with each other.

You know it's a poor performance when 1) you start wishing Lee Minshull was on the field (he would have been in his element last night) and 2) it strikes you that Scot Bennett is one of the better players on the field (but no Lee Minshull)... :)
PreviousNext