Two points from tonight.

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Two points from tonight.

Postby Stan A. Einstein » September 12th, 2017, 11:53 pm

Firstly we have twelve points from seven games. A point a game from the rest of the season, which is relegation form would leave us with fifty one points, which I know got Barnet relegated but would usually see us safe. In terms already this is shaping up to be a season where we can breathe a little more easily than for the last couple of years.

Secondly you would need a heart of stone not to feel for Doncaster fans traveling back across the Pennines right now.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Two points from tonight.

Postby pembsexile » September 13th, 2017, 6:42 am

I think 12 points from 7 games equates to about 78/79 for the season. Is that realistic? I'll wait a few more games yet before I decide. We have vastly improved though. Let's get 10 games on the board and have a similar number of homers as away. After Saturday we will have played 3 home and 5 away. That's a bit lopsided to accurately forecast imo.

Feelings for Donny? Hmmmm. On the face of it, yes, obviously. I feel for their fans. However, I don't remember much sympathy and warm feelings personally from redturds fans when we were facing our Armageddon in the late 80s. Sympathy gets you nowhere in this game. I don't think I have a heart of stone, more likely a heart of glass - very breakable :grin:
no avatar
User

newgroundrodney

Rank

Forum Patron!

Cardiff, UK

Postby newgroundrodney » September 13th, 2017, 10:25 am

I thought we did a good job in getting all 3 points against a Cheltenham side who adapted to the conditions better. Some of our passing was a great let down, as was our lack of pace all over the park. Even so, tipping rain, it's a case of "job done".......but, we have lots to think about, because in my view, based on our performance last night, we will come unstuck. We'll slip off the pace fairly quickly, and my only hope is that we'll have done enough by then not to get drawn into a relegation scrap.
Currently we're on track for a finishing place of 6th on 79 pts, 6pts short of automatic promotion.....although interestingly, Mike Flynn's overall form after 19 games in charge, puts him on 82 pts for a full season.

The slide will come, but I stand by my prediction of a finishing place of "something like 12th, on something like 66 pts"......I'll change my view when I see us connecting our passes against run o' the mill teams a bit better than we did last night.
User

Kairdiff Exile

Our proud capital...

Postby Kairdiff Exile » September 13th, 2017, 10:47 am

Ultimately, I think two things will do for us as far as promotion is concerned:

- A lack of strength in depth in the squad. That's not a criticism of Flynn, just a reflection of our budget relative to others' and the fact that we don't have an abundance of talent to get us through the games where key players are missing because of injury / suspension / fatigue.

- An inability to put our foot on the ball and slow the tempo of a game down. That was clear last night (although Cheltenham didn't punish us for it); we play a very high-tempo game which is great to watch, but sometimes you need to slow things down, keep possession and kill a game off.

At the start of the season, I said we'd be lower mid-table (14th-16th). On the basis of what I've seen so far, I'd be tempted to revise that upwards, but I don't see us finishing much above 10th for the reasons outlined above. Nothing shameful about that at all; indeed, for a club of our size and with our support, that's chuffing impressive. It'd be a shame if unrealistic expectations undermined what is likely to be a very good season.
User

lowandhardandinthecorner

Rank

Forum Patron!

Peoples Republic of Malpas

Postby lowandhardandinthecorner » September 13th, 2017, 11:04 am

Kairdiff Exile wrote:Ultimately, I think two things will do for us as far as promotion is concerned:

- A lack of strength in depth in the squad. That's not a criticism of Flynn, just a reflection of our budget relative to others' and the fact that we don't have an abundance of talent to get us through the games where key players are missing because of injury / suspension / fatigue.

- An inability to put our foot on the ball and slow the tempo of a game down. That was clear last night (although Cheltenham didn't punish us for it); we play a very high-tempo game which is great to watch, but sometimes you need to slow things down, keep possession and kill a game off.

At the start of the season, I said we'd be lower mid-table (14th-16th). On the basis of what I've seen so far, I'd be tempted to revise that upwards, but I don't see us finishing much above 10th for the reasons outlined above. Nothing shameful about that at all; indeed, for a club of our size and with our support, that's chuffing impressive. It'd be a shame if unrealistic expectations undermined what is likely to be a very good season.

Yes indeed, anywhere safely out of the relegation spots will do very nicely thanks! I'm not building up hopes for anything more than that especially given the last two performances.
User

Catford Richard

South London

Postby Catford Richard » September 13th, 2017, 11:07 am

Personally I'd take anything between 10-12 right now. Although in order to help maintain crowds it'd be great to see us with at least mathematical chances of getting into the playoffs until the last few games of the season. Then we have the chance to improve and refine the team, hopefully another season for some of the youth team can enable them to come up and flesh out the squad a little.
no avatar
User

ref23

Postby ref23 » September 13th, 2017, 11:59 am

Bit of a mixed bag so far but with 15% of the season already gone we're in the play-off spots.
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » September 13th, 2017, 12:01 pm

I thought it was 3 points these days :cyclops:
no avatar
User

david_g_barron

Postby david_g_barron » September 13th, 2017, 12:33 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Firstly we have twelve points from seven games. A point a game from the rest of the season, which is relegation form would leave us with fifty one points, which I know got Barnet relegated but would usually see us safe. In terms already this is shaping up to be a season where we can breathe a little more easily than for the last couple of years.

Secondly you would need a heart of stone not to feel for Doncaster fans traveling back across the Pennines right now.

Nice to know you are thinking positively. Thinking about Relegation right now after having the best start after seven games since County returned to the Football League. County are winning games we might have been beaten or drew in the last few seasons, and have done so with several players out with minor injuries and players still to return.

At the moment after all the turnover in managers/coaching staff and players everything is looking upwards at the moment, and a team determined and grinding out results in tough conditions. Is it just possible to say well done and hope it carries on.

Regarding Rochdale's late win, well it happens in football. 2011-12 comes to mind with the game at Gateshead when losing 2-1 County scored a late penalty then got the winner. It is just a part of football that happens to all teams at times, and just a reality of watching a game of football.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » September 13th, 2017, 12:34 pm

UPTHEPORT wrote:I thought it was 3 points these days :cyclops:

Stick to the day job Jim. :grin: