Re: Are we promotion candidates

Perhaps you get a better idea of where we are by realising that we’re almost as many points away from Luton as we are from FGR . Anything can happen with the County - and probably will. :grin: Let’s hope we continue scoring late like today rather than conceding late like we have been doing and if we can hang on to home leads then who knows. Reckon the window will be make or break, McGoalski is a start.

bedeck wrote:No, not at all !!! We were rubbish today and got very lucky. I was there, we have no game plan, no width, no pace, no playmaker where was Dolan today !!! We are scrambling points, we sit too deep and invite their attacks, yes we were lucky today.
A bit like Man U under Mourinho then ????
FFS !!!!
There's no pleasing some people !

mad norm wrote:Reading match reports and comments on the board it does appear we lack the killer instinct... Is that lack of cohesion on the pitch or Mr F not tough enough tactically (going deep after a single goal)?
Good to see us where we are and only good for fans
Fancy a play off place would be a bonus but still achievable
Spot on !
Anything is possible , and we're still very close to "the possible"

We are promotion candidates if we can keep white, o'brien, demetriou, labadie tozer and Dolan on the pitch for every game for the rest of the season. Unfortunately 3 of those players are made of glass and one of them looks lost when his other two midfield partners are not there.

We are having a great season. Said it all along if we finish above the bottom two this season it will be a fantastic season. We are easily achieving this.

In regards to splashing the cash I really hope we don't. The Leeds money should be used to establish us off the pitch not on it. Due to our inconsistency I just don't think this teams looks like it's a play off team if we splash the cash. no reason that we can't move on fringe players and bring in some really decent loans though.

I still believe potentially we are building towards an even better season next season. If we are gonna spend some cash it needs to be on extending the contract of those who's contracts are running out and manager wants next season.

bedeck wrote:No, not at all !!! We were rubbish today and got very lucky. I was there, we have no game plan, no width, no pace, no playmaker where was Dolan today !!! We are scrambling points, we sit too deep and invite their attacks, yes we were lucky today.
Yes we been unlucky so enjoy the moment there been lots times unlucky
Last edited by Comeonthecounty on December 17th, 2017, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

It's Christmas. The season is nearing the half way point and we are in contention. We are ten points better off than I thought we would be. Managers of bad teams and people who don't really understand football tend to say things like 'we are playing well but we are just not getting the results we deserve. (Feeney, Butcher). The converse is also true. Forget performance it's a results business.
I don't think we will win promotion but we are in contention. Not wishing to disagree with Mike in Pembrokeshire but I have to. In my view take promotion if you can and worry about how to survive when you get there.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:It's Christmas. The season is nearing the half way point and we are in contention. We are ten points better off than I thought we would be. Managers of bad teams and people who don't really understand football tend to say things like 'we are playing well but we are just not getting the results we deserve. (Feeney, Butcher). The converse is also true. Forget performance it's a results business.
I don't think we will win promotion but we are in contention. Not wishing to disagree with Mike in Pembrokeshire but I have to. In my view take promotion if you can and worry about how to survive when you get there.

Hmm, not sure about that Brendan. I have been in complete agreement when you have suggested that we get the foundations of the club right - new stadium, Boardroom matters, other off the field activities etc. All this takes planning. Something that we seem to lack as a club at the moment. There is a case that could be made that says that nobody in their right mind would reject success, but.........

Here is a scenario. Fast forward one year. We are struggling in L1, very similar to our predicament last year (different league obviously). There would be a feeling of immense negativity around the club, this board would probably be in meltdown (so what, some would suggest). The club would not be in a happy place.

My main concern though would be MF. He is an ambitious man. How would it affect him? We just cannot afford to lose him at the moment. I concede that the club is more than one person, but in MF case I will make an exception for now.

Then again, there is another scenario. We get promoted and do reasonably well in L1. We can all dream I suppose. That is what makes being a County fan so enthralling. I just bloody well love this club. :cheers:

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:It's Christmas. The season is nearing the half way point and we are in contention. We are ten points better off than I thought we would be. Managers of bad teams and people who don't really understand football tend to say things like 'we are playing well but we are just not getting the results we deserve. (Feeney, Butcher). The converse is also true. Forget performance it's a results business.

Hmm, not sure about that Brendan. I have been in complete agreement when you have suggested that we get the foundations of the club right - new stadium, Boardroom matters, other off the field activities etc. All this takes planning. Something that we seem to lack as a club at the moment. There is a case that could be made that says that nobody in their right mind would reject success, but.........

Here is a scenario. Fast forward one year. We are struggling in L1, very similar to our predicament last year (different league obviously). There would be a feeling of immense negativity around the club, this board would probably be in meltdown (so what, some would suggest). The club would not be in a happy place.

My main concern though would be MF. He is an ambitious man. How would it affect him? We just cannot afford to lose him at the moment. I concede that the club is more than one person, but in MF case I will make an exception for now.

Then again, there is another scenario. We get promoted and do reasonably well in L1. We can all dream I suppose. That is what makes being a County fan so enthralling. I just bloody well love this club. :cheers:
Morning Mike,
I think my point is this. Gate receipts would at worst increase substantially. I suspect that League 1 status would ensure bigger crowds and League 1 has a greater proportion of 'big' clubs going through a rough patch. I also believe that it might concentrate the mind of the board of directors that the issue of a stadium fit for purpose is one which can't forever be ignored.

The next point is that sooner or later we will be relegated. It happens to all teams save the super clubs, although I remember Manchester United and Chelsea in the second tier and Manchester City in the third. In my view better to be relegated from League 1 to League 2 than from League 2 to the Conference. (Or whatever it's called these days.)

Also memories. Wigan may no longer be a Premier League side but they have the memories. Those of us of a certain age who remember West Ham and Europe wouldn't trade them.

Best wishes,

Bren

The move from League Two to League One seems to be a huge step up (as opposed to Connie - League 2) ... Look at Plymouth and Donny, both big clubs, absolutely walked our league last season (alongside Pompey who admittedly are doing well) and both struggling big time.
If we went up this season, without a big injection of cash we'd certainly be straight back down Imo.... That said, I'd rip your hand off to be promoted to League 1, we could worry what happens when we get there..