90 minute clock.

I noticed that today the clock was not stopped immediately at 90 minutes but allowed to run to 93 minutes before it was stopped and adjusted to show 90 minutes. Is there a regulation that prevents these match clocks being run until the final whistle? With 8 minutes added time I was finding it useful until it was stopped at 93.

Re: 90 minute clock.

You're only meant to run the clock to 90, tis true. The 4th official board and ref's whistle is the indicator of minimum time remaining from that point on.

Incidentally, how many minutes were supposed to have been added according to the official's board? Flashscore got up to 12 minutes though I think the last 2 of those was my dodgy phone connection.

I played in a match on soccer tour in the US once where the scoreboard was the official match clock. We played 45 each way, no added time, no stoppages, whistle blown on the 90 minutes. Needless to say having taken an early lead and checked this was the case with the ref we spent the entire of the rest of the match hoofing the ball as far off the pitch as often as possible.

Exile 1976 wrote:My brother in law played College soccer for NYIT and when I went over to watch him, the clock stopped for certain things then started again but as soon as 45/90 mins is up the half/game ends on the hooter.
Tbf on that tour (which was 23 years ago :shock: ) we saw a ref interpreting obstruction as in basketball - i.e. you could blatantly obstruct other players, played a match on a gridiron field with the somewhat distracting thick white sidelines within the parameters of the pitch and the american football posts directly above the goals at one end, and had a player sent off for kicking someone up the arse on the sideline when shoved clear off the pitch - so I'm hoping they've caught up with the practicalities of the Laws now...