Re: New Directors

Jimmy Exile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:We will have lost a few hundred from people , like myself, that signed up my kids, mam, grandparents etc then never renewed them, only my own.
What you did is very commendable. I doubt many others will have done that.
Hi. like exile76 I did exactly that. got 6 people to join for the initial fundraiser but only 2 of us have renewed.

I know another poster on here who got about 15 of his family members signed up at the time.

It just goes to show that if there is a crisis, the people of our city will unite. The fact that so few are even interested indicates to me that there is no crisis at our club and no witch hunt against Gavin, aside from a select few. I would argue that the lack of people voting indicates the broader fan base are most content.

Alan G Bryant wrote:It just goes to show that if there is a crisis, the people of our city will unite. The fact that so few are even interested indicates to me that there is no crisis at our club and no witch hunt against Gavin, aside from a select few. I would argue that the lack of people voting indicates the broader fan base are most content.
Or it could be 1000 fans are not happy and refuse to be part of the trust. I've no idea what is true which is why it would be very interesting to find out. Personally any former member I would like the club to write to and ask why they ain't a member or if they didn't realise would they like to set up a direct debit.

I personally don't think just over 1000 fans can own a football club. Pretty sure this was also mentioned at the first meeting. I'm assuming we have even less fans that do the rewards and benefits initiative.

I was a Trust member a few years back. I thought there was little or no communications or news from the Trust as to what was happening/ when the meetings were etc. that I thought it was pointless being a member, so didn't bother renewing.

Even if we had 10,000 members, it wouldn't really make much of a difference if they're only paying £10 each a year.

Now that the fans have clubbed together to fund the trusts' takeover of the club, the trust don't really need a strong membership. In fact, they could probably continue running the club with 0 members. Obviously relegation would be the game changer in all that.

In terms of financial clout, the Supporters Club or the Monday Night Ladies may as well have launched a takeover bid. The Supporters Club is infinitely better organised than the trust was until 3 or 4 years ago at least - hopefully Bob can pass on some of his wisdom now he's been elected to the board.

Bush wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:It just goes to show that if there is a crisis, the people of our city will unite. The fact that so few are even interested indicates to me that there is no crisis at our club and no witch hunt against Gavin, aside from a select few. I would argue that the lack of people voting indicates the broader fan base are most content.
Or it could be 1000 fans are not happy and refuse to be part of the trust. I've no idea what is true which is why it would be very interesting to find out. Personally any former member I would like the club to write to and ask why they ain't a member or if they didn't realise would they like to set up a direct debit.

I personally don't think just over 1000 fans can own a football club. Pretty sure this was also mentioned at the first meeting. I'm assuming we have even less fans that do the rewards and benefits initiative.
I'm not saying that you are wrong Bush as people often don't take the most logical of decisions but if they are a fan of the club and a member of the Trust but are not happy with the way the Trust is running the club, dropping your membership of the Trust and forfeiting your ability to influence the way the club is run seems an odd things to do to me. Surely it would be better try to encourage more people with your point of view to join and change things from the inside?

It is our Trust and we can influence the way it operates. Now that we have had three rounds of elections since the take over, we surely have the BoD we want and deserve and of course we should have an AGM and an open meeting due any time now.

In terms of the average number of votes, only 2 candidates scored above average. Very tight vote though. Even Phil Ashcroft wasn't a million miles away, and certainly wasn't without his followers.
My question is, if someone fails the FL test, or drops out for some other reason, will Ashcroft be invited to replace them?....or will a new election be held to fill the one vacancy?....

Bush wrote:

My guess is that if over 80% of our current trust members cannot be bothered to vote, to then expect feedback from a 1,000 (your figure ) dissenters would be a futile operation. It is a matter of opinion whether you think it is the fault of the club, or, as a former manager alluded to in the 1970's, the apathy of the Newport public. My personal view is it is the latter.

newgroundrodney wrote:See, I know I keep on, but I think a 'Ticket for Life' scheme, including your ST, Trust Membership + donation to B&R Scheme, all rolled into one neat monthly payment of say £45, might increase take-up..... that's my view for what it's worth.
Develop this.

Make Newport County a sports club. Offer membership at £45 a month. If we had a stadium of our own it could incorporate facilities such as a gym, a restaurant, a hotel. Swimming pools etc. A club designed to be an asset to the community.

Now there's a thought.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:See, I know I keep on, but I think a 'Ticket for Life' scheme, including your ST, Trust Membership + donation to B&R Scheme, all rolled into one neat monthly payment of say £45, might increase take-up..... that's my view for what it's worth.
Develop this.

Make Newport County a sports club. Offer membership at £45 a month. If we had a stadium of our own it could incorporate facilities such as a gym, a restaurant, a hotel. Swimming pools etc. A club designed to be an asset to the community.

Now there's a thought.
When I think of the likes of Shrewsbury & Chesterfield, there is no reason everything we want can't be delivered withing a new build stadium. Transport links could be a sponsored matchday bus: "Mr Tom's matchday Shuttle bus" or similar........anyway, we're off topic now somewhat.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Develop this.

Now there's a thought.
It’s a direction that I believe the stadium owners are willing to go down hence their rumoured talks with the council, it’s therefore vitally important that we look to cement a viable partnership or look to alternatives. Don’t know if we’d raise the money alone though do you?

Bush wrote:

I think most people just want to turn up and watch matches and have no interest in being part of ownership or behind the scenes political manoeuvrings, and once the money was raised to save the club there's no reason for them to maintain membership. I only keep mine as a token contribution, tbh.