Re: 6,500

newgroundrodney wrote:With potentially 1,000 Leeds fans in amongst the home supporters all over the ground, what could possibly go wrong!
I agree it does appear that this will be the case and that many will be wearing colours. Should be a good atmosphere but could easily turn nasty let’s just hope they enjoy the game support their team and no more.
On that note why did we openly sell to the Leeds fans that apparently travelled down just to buy tickets, I know it hard with local Leeds fans but those with a Yorkshire accent not so much. That said can we refuse ?.
Also I saw a tweet from a Leeds fan who has been given 4 free tickets in the home end because he has a family member with contacts at the club and the guy says he will be wearing colours.

Valleyboy1980 wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:With potentially 1,000 Leeds fans in amongst the home supporters all over the ground, what could possibly go wrong!
I agree it does appear that this will be the case and that many will be wearing colours. Should be a good atmosphere but could easily turn nasty let’s just hope they enjoy the game support their team and no more.
On that note why did we openly sell to the Leeds fans that apparently travelled down just to buy tickets, I know it hard with local Leeds fans but those with a Yorkshire accent not so much. That said can we refuse ?.
Also I saw a tweet from a Leeds fan who has been given 4 free tickets in the home end because he has a family member with contacts at the club and the guy says he will be wearing colours.
Perhaps we'll wake up the following morning and realise we need a ticket purchasing history after all......
In terms of the potential for problems, this fixture surely is second only to Cardiff City.
In fairness to Leeds Utd FC, they've been fabulous towards Newport County already this season, when they had no real need to be....great touch of class, and hopefully their fans will carry that forward too.

Valleyboy1980 wrote:
Doesn't bother me but will the stewards let someone in the home end wearing away colours?

daftasfxxx wrote:
Valleyboy1980 wrote:
Doesn't bother me but will the stewards let someone in the home end wearing away colours?
They better not, if you're going to break the rules and at least show our club some respect or you deserve to have a wasted journey.

If the club has knowingly sold home section tickets to Leeds fans then that is totally irresponsible and they will have to deal with the consequences.

Sorry to say but you're asking for trouble doing that.

The only way Leeds fans have got hold of tickets for the Home areas is if they have been bought covertly or they have friends who have obtained them, the club are not stupid, our supporters are deemed as a risk group in this league hence the over zealous policing at away games when it seems that there’s no reason, so does anybody really think the club is going to take a chance of there being trouble inside the ground taking into account the problems we’re already facing over the continuous bombardment of visitors and officials with missiles

daftasfxxx wrote:
Valleyboy1980 wrote:
Ground regulations say they are allowed to remove anyone who looks like their presence may cause a problem, so good luck to them with that... I'd be very surprised if the Gwent Constabulary only adopt a watching brief on this one, they had spotters at Cheltenham so I expect we'll see a much higher police presence.

Newportonian wrote:The only way Leeds fans have got hold of tickets for the Home areas is if they have been bought covertly or they have friends who have obtained them, the club are not stupid, our supporters are deemed as a risk group in this league hence the over zealous policing at away games when it seems that there’s no reason, so does anybody really think the club is going to take a chance of there being trouble inside the ground taking into account the problems we’re already facing over the continuous bombardment of visitors and officials with missiles
I've been to enough aways in the past few years to suggest that if anything we're not policed closely enough. Seen County fans (the same ones every time) in fights in Portsmouth, Coventry and Swindon in the past couple of years, which is three more fights than I've seen watching hundreds of games of other clubs across two continents and stretching back thirteen years.

However, that's away games, this one's a home game. Should think we'll call in some of SW Police to use their recent Leeds experience too.

My view is we are seeing the law of unintended consequences beginning to play out.

When I started going to away games in the mid to late '70's it was very simple. Away supporters had the smaller terrace behind the goal, home supporters the larger terrace. This was where those who wanted to sing and chant and wear their colours went. The stands were seen as a neutral area. Most fans there were home supporters but it was perfectly acceptable for away supporters to sit there.

Notwithstanding what the police and the authorities in general would like to have us believe, going to a football match is a safe activity. The overwhelming number of supporters just want to watch the game. By all means have segregated areas for those who want to sing and chant, but trying to segregate the entire crowd simply won't work and causes far more problems than it solves.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:My view is we are seeing the law of unintended consequences beginning to play out.

When I started going to away games in the mid to late '70's it was very simple. Away supporters had the smaller terrace behind the goal, home supporters the larger terrace. This was where those who wanted to sing and chant and wear their colours went. The stands were seen as a neutral area. Most fans there were home supporters but it was perfectly acceptable for away supporters to sit there.

Notwithstanding what the police and the authorities in general would like to have us believe, going to a football match is a safe activity. The overwhelming number of supporters just want to watch the game. By all means have segregated areas for those who want to sing and chant, but trying to segregate the entire crowd simply won't work and causes far more problems than it solves.
Segregation has worked perfectly well at football and along with more effective governance of incidents, seating, CCTV etc has led to a huge reduction in trouble inside grounds.

Impossible to prove your point that mixed crowds are fine though, because nowhere is going to be daft enough to do it at any venue where the crowd is big enough for troublemakers to be able to move and avoid detection. Fulham have a neutral section, so I'll let you know how that looks after I go there on Saturday.

What a shame so much space about "trouble".......
Trouble is ...everyone gets tarred with the same brush.
Heddlu will be out in their masses .Doubtless all fans will feel intimidated by their ranks.
Treat people like animals they will act as animals
How can we get rid of this antiquated image of all fans on occasions like the Leeds match?
Nonetheless....enjoy Saturday ,feel a sneaky upset on the cards :bounce: