Re: 6,500

SJG99 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:My view is we are seeing the law of unintended consequences beginning to play out.

When I started going to away games in the mid to late '70's it was very simple. Away supporters had the smaller terrace behind the goal, home supporters the larger terrace. This was where those who wanted to sing and chant and wear their colours went. The stands were seen as a neutral area. Most fans there were home supporters but it was perfectly acceptable for away supporters to sit there.

Notwithstanding what the police and the authorities in general would like to have us believe, going to a football match is a safe activity. The overwhelming number of supporters just want to watch the game. By all means have segregated areas for those who want to sing and chant, but trying to segregate the entire crowd simply won't work and causes far more problems than it solves.
Segregation has worked perfectly well at football and along with more effective governance of incidents, seating, CCTV etc has led to a huge reduction in trouble inside grounds.

Impossible to prove your point that mixed crowds are fine though, because nowhere is going to be daft enough to do it at any venue where the crowd is big enough for troublemakers to be able to move and avoid detection. Fulham have a neutral section, so I'll let you know how that looks after I go there on Saturday.
I have often watched football in stands surrounded by opposition supporters. I wouldn't wear colours but I don't disguise my accent. I have never had a problem. I am not saying don't segregate those supporters who wish to be more boisterous, and why shouldn't they be? But as a 60 year old man I doubt somehow I'm going to attack a Leeds supporter any more than a 60 year old Leeds supporter is going to attack me. As such is there really any problem in selling us both tickets in the stand?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
SJG99 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:My view is we are seeing the law of unintended consequences beginning to play out.

When I started going to away games in the mid to late '70's it was very simple. Away supporters had the smaller terrace behind the goal, home supporters the larger terrace. This was where those who wanted to sing and chant and wear their colours went. The stands were seen as a neutral area. Most fans there were home supporters but it was perfectly acceptable for away supporters to sit there.

Notwithstanding what the police and the authorities in general would like to have us believe, going to a football match is a safe activity. The overwhelming number of supporters just want to watch the game. By all means have segregated areas for those who want to sing and chant, but trying to segregate the entire crowd simply won't work and causes far more problems than it solves.
Segregation has worked perfectly well at football and along with more effective governance of incidents, seating, CCTV etc has led to a huge reduction in trouble inside grounds.

Impossible to prove your point that mixed crowds are fine though, because nowhere is going to be daft enough to do it at any venue where the crowd is big enough for troublemakers to be able to move and avoid detection. Fulham have a neutral section, so I'll let you know how that looks after I go there on Saturday.
I have often watched football in stands surrounded by opposition supporters. I wouldn't wear colours but I don't disguise my accent. I have never had a problem. I am not saying don't segregate those supporters who wish to be more boisterous, and why shouldn't they be? But as a 60 year old man I doubt somehow I'm going to attack a Leeds supporter any more than a 60 year old Leeds supporter is going to attack me. As such is there really any problem in selling us both tickets in the stand?
Yes Stan, there is a problem. It's meant to be segregated. Also, the 60 yr olds of today, were in their 20s during the early 80's, not all of them have grown into well adjusted, all round good eggs like yourself. Further, it may not be the 60 yr olds we have to deal with.
I knew there was a problem as soon as the stupid "2400" thing was announced...the numbers didn't stack up. Let's hope most of those who never attended Carlisle were County 'fans'.....let's hope it passes without incident, cos it's Leeds, and if it does kick off, it'll kick off big time. Let's hope not though.

UPTHEPORT wrote:
G Guest wrote:Will we have mounted police again? I remember walking over the Millenium bridge for one big match and being startled by a horse ridden by a fat Thames Valley police officer which came up behind me.

oh! Matron :P
Yak yak yak !!!!

Leeds united have such a strong fan base in south wales and somerset this was always going to happen when tickets went on general sale.
Believe me leeds fans will not be looking for any trouble, i just hope newport fans will be the same, after all you do have a reputation.

plantpot wrote:Leeds united have such a strong fan base in south wales and somerset this was always going to happen when tickets went on general sale.
Believe me leeds fans will not be looking for any trouble, i just hope newport fans will be the same, after all you do have a reputation.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I’m afraid he’s right, there’s no shortage of fools when there’s a big occasion and I expect the port and surrounding area have nearly as many as Leeds :mrgreen:
Let’s hope for a good game of football and a bit of friendly banter with no fisticuffs eh?

lowandhardandinthecorner wrote:
plantpot wrote:Leeds united have such a strong fan base in south wales and somerset this was always going to happen when tickets went on general sale.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I’m afraid he’s right, there’s no shortage of fools when there’s a big occasion and I expect the port and surrounding area have nearly as many as Leeds :mrgreen:
Let’s hope for a good game of football and a bit of friendly banter with no fisticuffs eh?
We should certainly hope for it but considering some of their fans were looking for trouble after the Carabao Cup match up there earlier in the season, probably best to plan against it.

Amberexile wrote:
lowandhardandinthecorner wrote:
We should certainly hope for it but considering some of their fans were looking for trouble after the Carabao Cup match up there earlier in the season, probably best to plan against it.
Hi. if there fans look for trouble in newport then they will find it

6,878 tickets have been sold for our upcoming @EmiratesFACup Third Round fixture against @LUFC.

Just 140 seated tickets remain with space also still available in the terraces. You have until 7pm tomorrow to purchase your ticket for this match.