Re: How much would you be prepared to pay for the Spurs game

london ironside wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:I'd be 'happy' to pay up to £30.
Not often we get to see Premier League teams rock up to Rodders and a lot of people in Newport (not just County fans) would be happy to pay this.
I can see the points of those wanting to keep prices down but I still think we need to make the most of this chance to earn our club some serious money...
It's not really 'serious money' though is it? It'll be 45% of a crowd of 7500. So why risk upsetting the goodwill of the core support who have followed through thick and thin? The decent money will come if we get on the telly, or can sneak a draw and get a replay at Wemberlee.

Not just the ticket money, there's also the increased hospitality revenue, food and drink, club shop, 50/50 etc...

london ironside wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Caerleon Exile wrote:Staggered how people are proposing fleecing the fans for this. Ticket prices are a joke in this Country. We're a league two side and we need to be thinking of the bigger picture. Increasing ticket prices by up to 50% as proposed by some on here would be disastrous from a PR perspective for the club. Would it sell out? Probably but people would pay through gritted teeth and supporters might think twice about coming in the future, or sticking their hand in their pocket the next time the club comes knocking, cap in hand...
I agree entirely.

I would add once again that for many people the cost of football is prohibitive. If you cash in there is the possibility of two unintended consequences. Firstly that genuine fans are priced out. Secondly that people will pay as Caerleon says through gritted teeth but then give a miss to a league game in February. So the overall gain is negligible in any event.

If we are serious about being a fan based club then we need to know the difference between making money and exploitation.
Thirded! The fans have stumped up plenty over the pasty few years to keep the club afloat. Now is the time for us to enjoy a return on our investment. Keep the same prices as for league games. Give priority to people buying a ticket for the Crawley game maybe, to bump up the attendance for that one, and get a few more donations for the foodbank. Show people that this club is part of the community, not trying to fleece the punters.
Relieved to see these comments. Interesting to see how the narrative has evolved from people willing to pay more to see Harry Kane (doubtful) to let's turn this into a cash cow for the club. I come to watch the County. The others are just anonymous guys in different colours facing the other way. 17 years ago, I did go to a match to watch Giggs and Shevchenko with a mate and his two boys at the Millennium Stadium (cost us about £20 in total). But then I had divided parental loyalties between Wales and Ukraine!

We could wait and see if we get telly money first. If yes, why fleece fans at the one time when we are getting in extra money even before winning or drawing? I didn''t go to the Leeds game but I will be forking out a good sum on a return rail ticket from London and a stayover if it's on Friday night subject to getting a match ticket.The one suggestion I would make might be to remove the elderly concession rate for this match if permitted (I'm 70). Also drum up 30 or so volunteers to do a bucket collection for our new training facilities so that those willing to pay more could put their fiver into a fund. Now that's community spirit and looking to the future.

The official website is saying that all the relevant details will be announced next Monday 15th.January.

Business is business guys, and if we are to be a successful fan-owned club then we need to maximise business opportunities.

This game will sell out if the ticket price is £5 or £50, and whilst I agree it is sickening to think that some people might miss out as a result I would be surprised if prices aren't around the £30 mark.

Is there precedence for charging one price for season ticket holders and trust members, and then a higher price for everyone else? Controversial, but one possible way of dealing with the misgivings.

ref23 wrote:Business is business guys,
It is.

And if seeing the Spurs game were to lead to only 10 new regular fans that would be £2,000 a season. Really successful businesses have worked out that if you offer good value, in the long term, you are more successful. To me it seems that being good at business is making deals where the customers are happy.

Back in the late 90's or early '00's there was a tanker driver's dispute. A garage near where I lived in Barking had a delivery of petrol. They doubled their prices and made a fortune. I filled up there I had no choice.

But the dispute ended and I made a point of never using that petrol station again. I don't know if others did the same, I do know that within a couple of years the petrol station had closed.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
ref23 wrote:Business is business guys,
It is.

And if seeing the Spurs game were to lead to only 10 new regular fans that would be £2,000 a season. Really successful businesses have worked out that if you offer good value, in the long term, you are more successful. To me it seems that being good at business is making deals where the customers are happy.

Back in the late 90's or early '00's there was a tanker driver's dispute. A garage near where I lived in Barking had a delivery of petrol. They doubled their prices and made a fortune. I filled up there I had no choice.

But the dispute ended and I made a point of never using that petrol station again. I don't know if others did the same, I do know that within a couple of years the petrol station had closed.
I do see your point. We're not going to please everyone of course, but I don't think that charging £30 for adults is unreasonable myself.

ref23 wrote:Business is business guys, and if we are to be a successful fan-owned club then we need to maximise business opportunities.

This game will sell out if the ticket price is £5 or £50, and whilst I agree it is sickening to think that some people might miss out as a result I would be surprised if prices aren't around the £30 mark.

Is there precedence for charging one price for season ticket holders and trust members, and then a higher price for everyone else? Controversial, but one possible way of dealing with the misgivings.
Unless you are a trust member who has a season ticket, bought community shares, pay into the rewards and benefit scheme and offer your services on a voluntary basis every game then do you really deserve a discount?

Personally I believe I should get one for having to p!ss in a bucket in the back seat of the supporters coach after being stuck in traffic in kings lynn! ;-)

Bush wrote:
ref23 wrote:Business is business guys, and if we are to be a successful fan-owned club then we need to maximise business opportunities.

Unless you are a trust member who has a season ticket, bought community shares, pay into the rewards and benefit scheme and offer your services on a voluntary basis every game then do you really deserve a discount?

Personally I believe I should get one for having to p!ss in a bucket in the back seat of the supporters coach after being stuck in traffic in kings lynn! ;-)
I agree completely. I still own my piss stained adidas samba's arising from Basingstoke away 10 years or so ago.

At the end of the day this could be a pivotal moment in the future of this club. We have a golden opportunity to build legacy that will last for years. I don't understand why people refuse to be inclusive and don't want the club to expand.

Any "regular" that wants a ticket will get one. There's no excuses. If you are not a season ticket holder just join the trust. I would have thought most regulars after the Leeds tickets arrangements would have joined the trust to make sure they guaranteed tickets for a possible 4th round tie.

The club is poorly supported and if it sold Spurs tickets at £10 it would not increase the core support. The core support will struggle to sustain a L 2 club so of course prices should increase and I think the suggested £30 is reasonable.
Lots of people thought Leeds would sell out it didn't even with all the local Leeds fans who I would have thought notably outnumber local Spurs fans.

County ranger wrote:The club is poorly supported and if it sold Spurs tickets at £10 it would not increase the core support. The core support will struggle to sustain a L 2 club so of course prices should increase and I think the suggested £30 is reasonable.
Lots of people thought Leeds would sell out it didn't even with all the local Leeds fans who I would have thought notably outnumber local Spurs fans.
6,000 fans paid over £20 for a game that they could watch for free on the television. Also noon on Sunday is hardly prime time to go to the football. Add to that tickets were not on sale on the day or the day before.

Spurs will sell out. The potential is there for crowds to improve, time to embrace the potential fans not to give the impression that they don't matter.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
County ranger wrote:The club is poorly supported and if it sold Spurs tickets at £10 it would not increase the core support. The core support will struggle to sustain a L 2 club so of course prices should increase and I think the suggested £30 is reasonable.
6,000 fans paid over £20 for a game that they could watch for free on the television. Also noon on Sunday is hardly prime time to go to the football. Add to that tickets were not on sale on the day or the day before.

Spurs will sell out. The potential is there for crowds to improve, time to embrace the potential fans not to give the impression that they don't matter.
I hope they do, whilst I agree with your view on kick off time, the Spurs game will hopefully also be live on TV nationally which will potentially reduces travelling Spurs fans. I also don't think you sell out a game the day before if the demand us there sell out will occur a while before the day. We shall see!

Not selling tickets online (was it a club decision or police advice?) stopped me from attending. If I’d have had a chance of getting one I’d have made arrangements to get back, my father would almost certainly have joined me. That’s two tickets right there not sold. How many other non Newport based, or unable to budget the time to say spend an hour at the ground fans could there have been.

newgroundrodney wrote:Thinking in general terms on prices, a rough guide to prices may be seen as:

Premiership.................£45
Championship.............£30
League One................£25
League Two................£20

So as general guide, £30 would place it at roughly the right place in my view...... you could even make a case for £35.

The important thing for me is that the structure is in proportion across the bands. Also, since we have no terraced places to offer Spurs fans, I'd like to see the same price for sit or stand, and give fans real choice for once.
So I think the prices I stated, of £30...Adult , £15...Concessions, £8...Children, FREE ...infants, are about right.
Keep the prices simple and realistic and proportionate in regard to the level of the occasion.
I'll start with "the Premiership is a rugby competition and the name of Scotland's top division and hasn't been used in England since 2007" and go from there... :evil:

I think you've overestimated the cost of Prem tickets (BBC estimates £29.30 http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41485422 http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41482931) but your overall pricing argument is sound. Spurs fans will expect to pay £30 as that's what Premier League away fans pay. County fans should expect to pay the same, as they get to see a Prem club, capacity is limited and we're running a business here. Plus it's not even that much of a price hike for a rare event.

Catford Richard wrote:
Not selling tickets online (was it a club decision or police advice?) stopped me from attending. If I’d have had a chance of getting one I’d have made arrangements to get back, my father would almost certainly have joined me. That’s two tickets right there not sold. How many other non Newport based, or unable to budget the time to say spend an hour at the ground fans could there have been.
I think it's a sensible move to not sell online either way, the club doesn't have an online system that can automatically apply purchase criteria and probably isn't set up to cope with large demand either. It also reduces the likelihood of away fans buying in the home end.

I'm in the "can't spend time queueing" category too, but I at least know people in Newport who MIGHT get mine when they're getting theirs and most of our County transactions fall into that category (tickets, shirts, t-shirts, training kit, books have all gone via friends and relatives in the past few years, the postage cost is prohibitive in some cases too).

I think the "local Leeds fans outnumbering local Spurs fans" argument is outdated and a bit bonkers tbh. There might be a load of over 50s with a soft spot for Revie's 70s lot but they're massively outnumbered by the people with kids who've jumped on the bandwagon since Pochettino dragged Spurs to the top 3 in the past couple of seasons and can actually get into a Prem match at Wembley at the moment. Plus they didn't have too bad a fan base before that, albeit not at Man U and Liverpool levels.