Re: Hartlepool United

lowandhard wrote:No thanks ref23, lower league obscurity over boom and bust for me
I just think that the end result is exactly the same, it's just that the size of the waves in the ocean are bigger and more exciting.

I'd equate it to taking a high risk approach to investing your pension over a moderate approach.You'll probably end up in broadly the same position, but there's a bigger emotional roller-coaster over the years.

ref23 wrote:
Fourthousand wrote:
Redlandscaper wrote:Reading their fans forum recently it has been said they were debt free untill a couple of years ago, they are questioning where the money has gone and where the £200 000 if raised before the end of Jan will go, and how will the same amount be raised at the end of Feb.
I understand the total debt is now 1.5 million.
I do feel sorry for them unlike Crawley and FGR they have not been trying to buy their way up the league.
By the way I have read nothing but good wishes towards us since we relegated them ( I would have been as bitter as hell if things had been reversed).
Ps Can we please be bought by businessmen , even if they are fans we lose control and what will happen in years to come?
Did you miss out 'not' - in which case I would agree 100%.
Whilst it would be very easy to agree with the sentiment here, given that we are now presumably financially secure for another season or two, I would still love to be taken over by a wealthy group of individuals, or even a wealthy individual. In fact, now is the best time possible to look for such investment.

I guess it boils down to, what do you value more?

1) Consistently meeting your expectation (i.e. League 2 survival and hoping to gradually grow your fan base over a generation or two). Or;
2) Some outside investment to accelerate the process and have a fantastic side to watch for a few years?

For me, option 2 wins hands down every time. I appreciate there are big risks with my mindset, but this club has proven time and again that it will fight back from adversity. If things ever did go belly up, we'd be back, and we'd have a whole lot of fun along the way.

Give me that over League 2 nothingness for 25 years every day of the week.

If by "belly up" you mean going out of business completely, we may be "back" but I don't think we'd be allowed "back" in the English system would we?....
For me, option 1 is the goer. The long term existence of the Football Club itself must come first, which is why some money must be used to clear some outstanding committments within reason, go towards Flynny's training ground he wants, maybe even look at some stadium issues along the way.

How much does he "really" want a new training ground though? The quotes in the Argus last week sounded like someone who was frustrated at not having money for new players to me. At the end of the day, we can take our League 2 mediocrity, but we'll keep losing good managers, we'll keep losing good players and we'll keep losing potential fans.

My honest opinion is that, from where we are today, the only way we will move this club forward is to take a bit of risk. Sitting on our hands and hoping it's enough to survive will - eventually - see us back in non-league.

ref23 wrote:How much does he "really" want a new training ground though? The quotes in the Argus last week sounded like someone who was frustrated at not having money for new players to me. At the end of the day, we can take our League 2 mediocrity, but we'll keep losing good managers, we'll keep losing good players and we'll keep losing potential fans.

My honest opinion is that, from where we are today, the only way we will move this club forward is to take a bit of risk. Sitting on our hands and hoping it's enough to survive will - eventually - see us back in non-league.
You have to be sensible but broadly you're right, if you try just to stand still you will sooner or later go backwards.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
ref23 wrote:How much does he "really" want a new training ground though? The quotes in the Argus last week sounded like someone who was frustrated at not having money for new players to me. At the end of the day, we can take our League 2 mediocrity, but we'll keep losing good managers, we'll keep losing good players and we'll keep losing potential fans.

You have to be sensible but broadly you're right, if you try just to stand still you will sooner or later go backwards.
Agree with you entirely. There is no such thing as standing still, you're either moving forward or backwards.

Don’t have to stand still , we are building the academy , hopefully spending something on Flynnys training needs and maybe we can improve our ticketing and still have a little to retain the squad he wants. I’d prefer that than spunking it up the wall and ending up in the Welsh league that’s all.

It certainly doesnt sicken me all this publicity were getting. Many a southern club has had it way more than were getting now. I think we deserve some luck for once.We were taken for a ride twice by conmen, which has basically killed our club. We lost out in the last few minutes on the last day to send us out of the league. We were basically cheated at the millenium stadium to prevent us going into the championship late on. So forgive me if i think maybe just maybe we deserve a tiny bit of publicity for whats been a wretched last 10 years. By the way well done the other day and heres hoping you pull of another big shock in round 4.

billinghampoolie wrote:It certainly doesnt sicken me all this publicity were getting. Many a southern club has had it way more than were getting now. I think we deserve some luck for once.We were taken for a ride twice by conmen, which has basically killed our club. We lost out in the last few minutes on the last day to send us out of the league. We were basically cheated at the millenium stadium to prevent us going into the championship late on. So forgive me if i think maybe just maybe we deserve a tiny bit of publicity for whats been a wretched last 10 years. By the way well done the other day and heres hoping you pull of another big shock in round 4.
What happened at the Millenium?

lowandhard wrote:Don’t have to stand still , we are building the academy , hopefully spending something on Flynnys training needs and maybe we can improve our ticketing and still have a little to retain the squad he wants. I’d prefer that than spunking it up the wall and ending up in the Welsh league that’s all.
I don't disagree with a lot of what you say. I guess there's a fine line though; pointless having a great academy if your first team is dog shite - take Cirencester for example.

billinghampoolie wrote:It certainly doesnt sicken me all this publicity were getting. Many a southern club has had it way more than were getting now. I think we deserve some luck for once.We were taken for a ride twice by conmen, which has basically killed our club. We lost out in the last few minutes on the last day to send us out of the league. We were basically cheated at the millenium stadium to prevent us going into the championship late on. So forgive me if i think maybe just maybe we deserve a tiny bit of publicity for whats been a wretched last 10 years. By the way well done the other day and heres hoping you pull of another big shock in round 4.
Surely Stelling, Merson and Le Tissier are waiting in the wings with a big offer?

Percy plunkett wrote:
They lost to Sheffield Wednesday

Amberexile wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:
They lost to Sheffield Wednesday
It is disgusting when natural footballing hierarchy does that to people. Remember that time we lost to Leeds in the FA Cup?

ref23 wrote:
Surely Stelling, Merson and Le Tissier are waiting in the wings with a big offer?
Who knows? two overseas consortiums supposedly interested but probobly put of by the large losses through incredible mismanagement and conmen. If i was a multi millionaire id be waiting for administration, which might be for the best in the long run.