Re: Hartlepool United

Mr Gallipoli wrote: People must have forgotten the distain Stelling and the rest of the Soccer Saturday panel showed for Newport when we scored and stayed up over Hartlepool - aside from Le Tissier.

Unprofessional bias at it's most blatant. I could feel sympathy for the situation and for Hartlepool fans, but I thought that was disgusting by them myself.
Stelling's Hartlepool-love has been a feature enhancing the show for years, I wouldn't have expected anything else from a supportive group (including some actual friends of his like Le Tiss) and I was fine with it - though as I wasn't watching live and already knew how the story ended it helped. :D

I don't know why County fans would have anything but sympathy for Pools fans, there but for the grace of Mark O'Brien go us. Though we did have a bit more foresight getting the Trust involved before it hit the fan, rather than after, and the benefit of fairly reasonable terms for paying back the debt - at least they're not Portsmouthing it and actively trying to run up the debt to those who aren't the taxman in order to reduce HMRC's voting share, eh?

It's history now, but Stelling got carried away to the extent it became unprofessional. His producer should really have reined him in but maybe it's one of those situations where the big name rules the roost and the backroom people don't dare. Like someone should have done with Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand.

It's the suck-up pundits like Merson, drooling over Hartlepool's "Rooney", and Le Tissier I'm not forgiving.

George Street-Bridge wrote:It's history now, but Stelling got carried away to the extent it became unprofessional. His producer should really have reined him in but maybe it's one of those situations where the big name rules the roost and the backroom people don't dare. Like someone should have done with Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand.

It's the suck-up pundits like Merson, drooling over Hartlepool's "Rooney", and Le Tissier I'm not forgiving.

I didnt see a problem everyone knows hes a monkey hanger a passionate fan

Exile 1976 wrote:I didn't have a problem with Jeff going overboard.
Me neither, I think Jeff Stelling is just a fan. Just like us. Watching on Youtube it was clear he wanted Hartlepool to avoid relegation. And he showed it. To call that unprofessional is plain daft. If we take the passion out of football what's left?

Had Jeff wanted County to be relegated, that would have been unprofessional but he didn't I was sorry to see Hartlepool going down, they are a proper club, like us. We didn't relegate Hartlepool, they were relegated because they finished in the bottom two. Hartlepool wouldn't have relegated us if Mark O'Brien hadn't scored that goal, we'd have gone down because we had finished in the bottom two.

It's fine he has an allegiance, just think they should have had a word in his ear.

These days if I'm home I usually watch Final Score, they don't hype it up in the closing stages to boost in-play betting. On Stelling's show it's like they turn on a hysteria tap.

No way are people getting upset with Jeff stelling being upset his club went down! FFS. The program is built on his reaction to Hartlepool results/goals. He has also been very complimentary about county these last few years and was so after that game. Best presenter on sports tele.

Me neither. I watched the whole scenario live on Soccer Saturday as I didn't make the game. Jeff is a passionate Pools fan and he did nothing that was derogatory towards the County. In the end he was very complimentary towards us and was professional throughout. He is a top man.

My issue is with those other numpties in the studio - Le ****** and Merse. They were not just cheering for Hartlepool ( which may just have been OK imo) but were gutted when the County scored. Le Toss 'Oh no Jeff they have scored'. Merse, head in hands, 'oh no'. Ten minutes earlier he was raving about a 'worldy' from Rooney. It was just brilliant to see the look on their bloody faces. Shaudenfruede indeed. Have very little respect for those two as pundits. In fact, none at all.

pembsexile wrote:
Me neither. I watched the whole scenario live on Soccer Saturday as I didn't make the game. Jeff is a passionate Pools fan and he did nothing that was derogatory towards the County. In the end he was very complimentary towards us and was professional throughout. He is a top man.

My issue is with those other numpties in the studio - Le ****** and Merse. They were not just cheering for Hartlepool ( which may just have been OK imo) but were gutted when the County scored. Le Toss 'Oh no Jeff they have scored'. Merse, head in hands, 'oh no'. Ten minutes earlier he was raving about a 'worldy' from Rooney. It was just brilliant to see the look on their bloody faces. Shaudenfruede indeed. Have very little respect for those two as pundits. In fact, none at all.
Of course they should be gutted they just watched their good mate watch his team get relegated. They were disappointed for him. I had no issues with this at all.

Bush wrote:No way are people getting upset with Jeff stelling being upset his club went down! FFS. The program is built on his reaction to Hartlepool results/goals. He has also been very complimentary about county these last few years and was so after that game. Best presenter on sports tele.
Totally agree with your last sentence.

Stelling on proposed takeover

"I'm really hopeful that we will have a new investor in place in the not too distant future," he added.
"I might feel very differently having had talks next week, but just at this moment I feel very hopeful, and if that doesn't happen the Supporters Trust have plans in place.
"You just have to look around, I'll give you the best example of all, of a club that is run by supporters and that is Newport County who have stayed in the Football League on the last day of last season when we didn't.
"Look where they are now, run and funded by supporters, they're in the top half of League Two and have an FA Cup fourth round tie at home to Tottenham to come."

ambertone wrote:Stelling on proposed takeover

"I'm really hopeful that we will have a new investor in place in the not too distant future," he added.
"I might feel very differently having had talks next week, but just at this moment I feel very hopeful, and if that doesn't happen the Supporters Trust have plans in place.
"You just have to look around, I'll give you the best example of all, of a club that is run by supporters and that is Newport County who have stayed in the Football League on the last day of last season when we didn't.
"Look where they are now, run and funded by supporters, they're in the top half of League Two and have an FA Cup fourth round tie at home to Tottenham to come."
I hope that’s the route they follow, at least they’ll know the owners have the best interests of their club at heart. Unless you’re a big club, it’s boom and bust otherwise and sadly frequently the latter.

ambertone wrote:Stelling on proposed takeover

I thought we were all now clear that the club is not run by supporters, they just get to vote in the Trust board, one of which gets to make the tea at club board meetings??