Sean Rigg

From Argus:-
NEWPORT County AFC manager Michael Flynn hopes to put an end to the “conspiracy theories” surrounding Sean Rigg’s absence from the squad.

Rigg was a key member of the team last season, making 40 appearances and scoring six goals, but has been more of a peripheral figure in this campaign.

The 29-year-old has so far made just 13 starts and eight substitute appearances in 2017-2018 and has not featured since coming off the bench in the FA Cup win over Cambridge United on December 3.

There has been speculation that Rigg has been left out because he is one appearance away from triggering a new contract.

But Flynn says the player has been injured and is currently sidelined with a hip flexor problem.

The manager also explained why Rigg has fallen down the pecking order and rubbished suggestions that it’s down to a contract dispute.

“He came back, trained one day and then he got injured again,” said Flynn.

“He’s not being left out because of any contract dispute.

“He needs another seven or eight games before he hits that [extension point] so that’s got nothing to do with it.

“At the moment, when he is fit, I don’t know what Sean Rigg I’m going to get and the quality of the squad has improved.

“Sean has got to get himself fit first of all and then he’s got to work his way back in to the team.

“That wipes away all the conspiracy theories, which I’ve been hearing and people have been asking me during games.

“He’s injured and that’s why he hasn’t been on the bench.”

Rigg did return to training before the FA Cup win over Leeds but now has another problem.

“He’s done his hip flexor,” Flynn explained. “It was his left one first of all and he came back after 10 to 14 days.

“He trained and felt the other one so I’d probably say he’ll be out for another week.”

Re: Sean Rigg

I've got no reason to doubt what Flynny has announced there tbh ....
We're doing well , Rigg has been injured and other players have stepped up to the mark while he's been out ....
I like Rigg and think on his day he's one of our better midfielders . But he's not available and will have to work his way back into the squad who are performing at the moment . End of story for me

It sounds to me like Flynn is getting peed off with all these rumours and especially leeks from inside the club.

This is the second time he has felt the need to push back against "conspiracy theories" and he again seemed annoyed that the % sell on figure for Lee Evans has escaped.

Unfortunately with more members joining the board soon, I can only see this getting worse.

Great work by Flynny to nip this in the bud early, whether it may have a lot or absolutely no truth to it whatsoever.

Realistically, Riggy is not in our best XI and I honestly think that if he doesn't start then he doesn't warrant a place on the bench either, unless we know one of the midfielders may be carrying a knock. Not an impact player, and certainly not able to dramatically change a game.

Think his days with us are numbered, especially in a 3 man midfield, also with the incoming players going above him in the pecking order.

bignbeefy wrote:Great work by Flynny to nip this in the bud early, whether it may have a lot or absolutely no truth to it whatsoever.

Realistically, Riggy is not in our best XI and I honestly think that if he doesn't start then he doesn't warrant a place on the bench either, unless we know one of the midfielders may be carrying a knock. Not an impact player, and certainly not able to dramatically change a game.

Think his days with us are numbered, especially in a 3 man midfield, also with the incoming players going above him in the pecking order.
I think Michael Flynn should have kept his own counsel. I have no idea as to the truth of the matter but reading between the lines I get the impression that generally speaking there are some doubts. As Sir Humphrey said never believe anything before it has been officially denied.
Flynn's problem is not now but there will be a time when the club are on the downward part of the cycle when these things have a habit of coming back to bite you. It seems to me Beefy is right and Rigg's days are numbered. I doubt Rigg will be too happy, as is the way in any work place he will have his mates.
Michael Flynn will no doubt learn that there are times when it's better to say nothing.

Flynny's type of wit clearly shows that he doesn't rate Rigg this season.
Problem is Flynny is starting to get a little silly with some of his comments a bit like Wenger with Yates it was I know nothing, Rigg he said he thought he may be injured originally but wasn't sure.
Why if true would he be annoyed about the Evans commission as well.
Thought the club were looking for more openness if anything nothing has changed.
Nobody seems to know who is injured what progress is being maintained.
Should that be top secret.
By the way Rigg is an impact player when he has come on to line up with Dan it has changed the game for the better each time.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
I think Michael Flynn should have kept his own counsel. I have no idea as to the truth of the matter but reading between the lines I get the impression that generally speaking there are some doubts. As Sir Humphrey said never believe anything before it has been officially denied.
Wait, so he's made a statement about something fans might be interested in but that has only been mentioned informally and you think he shouldn't have said anything?

This seems somewhat contrary to your usual policy on it. :roll:

Harps62 wrote:Flynny's type of wit clearly shows that he doesn't rate Rigg this season.
Problem is Flynny is starting to get a little silly with some of his comments a bit like Wenger with Yates it was I know nothing, Rigg he said he thought he may be injured originally but wasn't sure.
Why if true would he be annoyed about the Evans commission as well.
Thought the club were looking for more openness if anything nothing has changed.
Nobody seems to know who is injured what progress is being maintained.
Should that be top secret.
By the way Rigg is an impact player when he has come on to line up with Dan it has changed the game for the better each time.
Talking about Evans in his press interview, he was asked if around £100k was about right, Flynn said, "Well, it's not going to be far off. I think the initial fee's wrong. When you've got some,, I don't know who keeps leaking this information, but how somebody knows what the sell on clause is is beyond me really because I think that should be, you know, kept in the club, but it is what it is, these things have a habit of getting out and um, yeah you're not far wrong."

My impression watching his body language and hearing the way he spoke, he didn't seem happy about it. As to why, I have no idea.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
bignbeefy wrote:Great work by Flynny to nip this in the bud early, whether it may have a lot or absolutely no truth to it whatsoever.

Flynn's problem is not now but there will be a time when the club are on the downward part of the cycle when these things have a habit of coming back to bite you. It seems to me Beefy is right and Rigg's days are numbered. I doubt Rigg will be too happy, as is the way in any work place he will have his mates.
Michael Flynn will no doubt learn that there are times when it's better to say nothing.
So are you saying he shouldn't have been transparent?