Re: Capacity

The NCFC Hippy wrote:Thank you Kevin Ward for some clarity, exactly why you got mine (and many others) vote onto the board.
Interesting reading.

For me two things, the City (and us, being County, but less so as we were skint) missed a golden opportunity to have our own ground for our own city bang in the centre of town for a snip (once the cabbage patch is sold it would of nearly paid for itself and the city would have safeguarded a sporting legacy for life for a steal) - btw, the WRU are doing a grand job, but the City missed a golden chance (as usual).

Seconldy, I for one would HATE some plastic new stadium, it would ruin it all, most teams who have one bemoan the fact, it's like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I would much rather see, covered ends at Rodney and a continuation of the Hazell standon to the Hazell Terrace. With things like the Loos and Bars brought into the 21st Century, and leave the rest exactly as she is, making a traditional 10k ish stadium, with atmosphere and a unique selling point bang in the middle of town.

But that's my opinion.!! UTC
And an opinion I'd agree with. Now the question is can we persuade Gwent Dragons to make common cause with us, get the city council on board and actually do it.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:Some number of yrs ago, I remember seeing an artist's impression of a newbuild stadium for Newport County. Pictures were online for a while the disappeared.
Newport has a habit of having plans that are pared down. Friars Walk, Rodney Parade.

I was interested in Kevin's post. I have no doubt his figures are correct. The Liberty Stadium in Swansea cost £27,000,000 in total. How Swansea got over twice as much bang for their buck pro rata is anyone's guess.

Edit.

The Emirates at over 60,000 cost £39,000,000. Even allowing for higher London costs. Even with inflation far less than £1,000 per seat.
Hi. I'm thick as shite but even I can see that the answer your looking for is economies of scale.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
The NCFC Hippy wrote:Thank you Kevin Ward for some clarity, exactly why you got mine (and many others) vote onto the board.
Interesting reading.

For me two things, the City (and us, being County, but less so as we were skint) missed a golden opportunity to have our own ground for our own city bang in the centre of town for a snip (once the cabbage patch is sold it would of nearly paid for itself and the city would have safeguarded a sporting legacy for life for a steal) - btw, the WRU are doing a grand job, but the City missed a golden chance (as usual).

Seconldy, I for one would HATE some plastic new stadium, it would ruin it all, most teams who have one bemoan the fact, it's like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I would much rather see, covered ends at Rodney and a continuation of the Hazell standon to the Hazell Terrace. With things like the Loos and Bars brought into the 21st Century, and leave the rest exactly as she is, making a traditional 10k ish stadium, with atmosphere and a unique selling point bang in the middle of town.

But that's my opinion.!! UTC
And an opinion I'd agree with. Now the question is can we persuade Gwent Dragons to make common cause with us, get the city council on board and actually do it.
The Dragons half as much as we do in a season so they won't be able to make the sums add up to buy the ground from the WRU. The only way the site works is to use rent from an adjacent development to pay for the upkeep. Cardiff and Swansea have retail park rents paying the interest.

The planning that was granted for the cabbage patch was as an enabling development for redeveloping Rodney Parade. The student towers (that would bring in the maximum money) will not now be built. My guess is a large care complex for the elderly as the rent is high, and the Council can justify stumping up the money to develop these and the stadium much easier.

By the way the Emirates cost £390 million.

Jimmy Exile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:Some number of yrs ago, I remember seeing an artist's impression of a newbuild stadium for Newport County. Pictures were online for a while the disappeared.
Newport has a habit of having plans that are pared down. Friars Walk, Rodney Parade.

I was interested in Kevin's post. I have no doubt his figures are correct. The Liberty Stadium in Swansea cost £27,000,000 in total. How Swansea got over twice as much bang for their buck pro rata is anyone's guess.

Edit.

The Emirates at over 60,000 cost £39,000,000. Even allowing for higher London costs. Even with inflation far less than £1,000 per seat.
Hi. I'm thick as shite but even I can see that the answer your looking for is economies of scale.
No. The emirates is all seater. Covered terracing behind the northern goals. an extended Hazel stand into the paddock and a 1,000 seat stand at the south/away end. If we can make common cause with the rugby a very serviceable stadium at Rodney Parade for the price of a London semi, well two London semi's.

It is possible. I only hope the usual suspects don't make it out to be a hopeless dream.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Edit.

Sorry Stan but I'm pretty sure the Emirates didn't cost £39m ! I'd say it was more £390m ...

Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Edit.

Sorry Stan but I'm pretty sure the Emirates didn't cost £39m ! I'd say it was more £390m ...
Here's an article from 2003 before the thing was completed saying Arsenal had spent £95 million "so far", and it didn't open for another 3 years!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... senal.html

£390 million is correct, including the construction of nearby waste facilities to replace the things previously on the site: https://web.archive.org/web/20160701120 ... -questions

As we're only looking at the cost of stadium construction, the £200m cost here https://www.designbuild-network.com/projects/ashburton/ is probably more useful. I've been it the catacombs of that place (when exiting with a disabled friend via some random lifts) and it is enormous, so it's understandable why the cost is so much more than the £1k per seat - the bigger it gets the more space there is for restaurant and other facilities to increase income and the more the cost of the fittings goes up - but these are revenue generating investments which County would have far fewer of.

Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Edit.

No need to apologize for being right.

I don't know having checked whether that includes the purchase price of land at Arnos Grove.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Edit.

You've missed a zero off that one. The Emirates was £390 Million

Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Edit.

You've missed a zero off that one. The Emirates was £390 Million
I know. Exile 76 already told me. See posts above.

I don't think it makes much sense to build a stadium to cater for where we (or the Dragons) are currently. It makes much more sense to build for where we believe we could be at any stage in the next 10 years. It is entirely possible that both County and the Dragons will see an upturn in fortune (and crowds) within that long-term planning period.

I've always a said 15,000 seater stadium is a reasonable starting point. A ground of that size would offer the potential to have what we don't currently have - room. Room for plenty of toilets, food outlets and bars. We tolerate Rodney Parade but how many of us would say it were a pleasurable experience. We have to build a palace that will entice people when they attend to want to come back.

wattsville_boy wrote:I don't think it makes much sense to build a stadium to cater for where we (or the Dragons) are currently. It makes much more sense to build for where we believe we could be at any stage in the next 10 years. It is entirely possible that both County and the Dragons will see an upturn in fortune (and crowds) within that long-term planning period.

I've always a said 15,000 seater stadium is a reasonable starting point. A ground of that size would offer the potential to have what we don't currently have - room. Room for plenty of toilets, food outlets and bars. We tolerate Rodney Parade but how many of us would say it were a pleasurable experience. We have to build a palace that will entice people when they attend to want to come back.
I agree.

But a new 1000 seat stand behind one goal. A covered terrace behind another and an extended refurbished Hazell will meet that criteria.

My view is that if we can make common cause with the rugby, as many towns of our size have this represents the best solution. My concern has been that in the past both County and the Dragons have been very short sighted. Perhaps with new regimes at both this can be overcome.

I hope so.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:I don't think it makes much sense to build a stadium to cater for where we (or the Dragons) are currently. It makes much more sense to build for where we believe we could be at any stage in the next 10 years. It is entirely possible that both County and the Dragons will see an upturn in fortune (and crowds) within that long-term planning period.

I agree.

But a new 1000 seat stand behind one goal. A covered terrace behind another and an extended refurbished Hazell will meet that criteria.

My view is that if we can make common cause with the rugby, as many towns of our size have this represents the best solution. My concern has been that in the past both County and the Dragons have been very short sighted. Perhaps with new regimes at both this can be overcome.

I hope so.
I agree. But I differ from you in thinking that rather than painting over the cracks at RP both County and Dragons need to identify somewhere to build a different stadium. Because even with a new stand behind one goal and a covered terrace behind the other there is no room for extending the Hazell to give it the facilities needed for a 21st century stadium.

The Madejski in Reading is coming up for 20 years old and (says Wiki) cost £50m which is roughly £2k per seat. However, a chunk of that will have gone on rehabilitating the landfill site it stands on.

The only "hopeless dream" I can remember anyone pushing here was Newport needing a new 20,000 or 25,000 stadium for both sports, which had "Darlington" written all over it.

I've said this before, but the way RP has developed looks all wrong. The spare land which could best be built on to fund stadium expansion is at the north end, but they put the newest terrace and the hospitality suite on it.