Re: Capacity

George Street-Bridge wrote:The Madejski in Reading is coming up for 20 years old and (says Wiki) cost £50m which is roughly £2k per seat. However, a chunk of that will have gone on rehabilitating the landfill site it stands on.

The only "hopeless dream" I can remember anyone pushing here was Newport needing a new 20,000 or 25,000 stadium for both sports, which had "Darlington" written all over it.

I've said this before, but the way RP has developed looks all wrong. The spare land which could best be built on to fund stadium expansion is at the north end, but they put the newest terrace and the hospitality suite on it.
The problem with RP is that it's locked in by houses and a school and too narrow to develop much further. All the spare space is behind one end and short of building a massive stand at that end there's nowhere else it could go. The site is the same (barely adequate) width all the way down and whilst you could build another similar sized stadium end to end with it, you can't really increase what is there apart from behind the north terrace. You could get a LOT in there though.

One snag is that if you put a really big stand at the northern end which would replace the terrace and fill in the enormous gap between it and the goal line - maybe while duplicating the Bisley along the Hazell stand side? - it would cut off the view from the main hospitality suite and render it pretty much useless.

George Street-Bridge wrote:One snag is that if you put a really big stand at the northern end which would replace the terrace and fill in the enormous gap between it and the goal line - maybe while duplicating the Bisley along the Hazell stand side? - it would cut off the view from the main hospitality suite and render it pretty much useless.
I've seen one concept for the redevelopment of Rodney Parade was to move the pitch 18 metres north and build a new large stand in line with the Bisley hospitality suite. This was going to be funded by selling off the cabbage patch for commercial development. Additionally by moving the pitch north thisnwould create room to build a medium sized south stand.

I'm not a fan of all the ideas in this proposal but moving the pitch north seems sensible to me.

http://www.arturus.co.uk/portfolio/stad ... hotos2.jpg

EDIT: Looking on Google Earth, I don't think we'll need to move the pitch as much as 18 metres

Interesting. That design looks like it would end all parking on site and reinstate entrance to the Bisley side from Corporation Road.like it used to be years ago.

For me the only reason for moving the pitch north would be to develop the south end as well as the north, which.this one does.

I would leave the bisley as it is.
put stands behind both goals. Knock down the changing rooms.

The hazel I would take the roof off and replace with one similar to the bisley which also covers the terrace at the side.

The seated area of the hazel I would turn in to tv pundits boxes, analysis area and changing rooms and then the area currently cordoned off for coin gate I would turn into the tunnel again like it used to be for rugby.

So basically the hazel would be one tier all standing where currently stand.
By using the upper tier for changing rooms and Tv gantry etc we can utilise the space in north and south stands to build proper stands.

I appear to have opened an interesting topic .......certainly some constructive ideas on this thread a A redeveloped Rodney seems favourite.......maybe just maybe some one with a sensible amount of dosh and vision reads some of these ideas......maybe just maybe :roll:

BASSALEG EXILE wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:One snag is that if you put a really big stand at the northern end which would replace the terrace and fill in the enormous gap between it and the goal line - maybe while duplicating the Bisley along the Hazell stand side? - it would cut off the view from the main hospitality suite and render it pretty much useless.
I've seen one concept for the redevelopment of Rodney Parade was to move the pitch 18 metres north and build a new large stand in line with the Bisley hospitality suite. This was going to be funded by selling off the cabbage patch for commercial development. Additionally by moving the pitch north thisnwould create room to build a medium sized south stand.

I'm not a fan of all the ideas in this proposal but moving the pitch north seems sensible to me.

EDIT: Looking on Google Earth, I don't think we'll need to move the pitch as much as 18 metres
So many boats on the Usk :grin:

BASSALEG EXILE wrote:

They moved the pitch north when the Bisley was built, which is why the far end of the Hazel is now behind the goal line.

If you measure the 'shed' at Spytty on Google Earth, it fits nicely over the north terrace. Something similar at the south end would be perfect as it would provide a better mixture between sitting and standing.

If I had the choice I would stay at rodders long term. We can't even cover the costs of staffing the shop let alone running of our own ground at championship standard which I'm sure is what we want to achieve. I was only talking about Darlington on Sunday we don't need and can't afford that to happen. Also Swansea and a lot of clubs in England share so let's just keep it simple, pay our rent, let the wru take care of the maintenance and over time we can work towards how to make more profits whilst on the site.

Regarding the stadium I'm sure we need no more than 15 thousand whether football or rugby.

Last year newport built the most houses in Wales. The total build in Llanwern is to be 10,000 and just think of the amount going down between maesglas and pill, up rogerstone, and all the ones built in the last 5 years or so on the riverbank from the riverside tavern to the transporter bridge. Surely that's 20 thousand new homes.

Yes We've struggled because we were out of the league and the birth of premier league so we all know we lost a generation but as long as we can engage with the commmunity, win some games and promote the club well I'm sure we will have enough fans to cover the costs and rise through the leagues.

In the last census we had a population of around 145 thousand. Add 20 thousand families to that and I think we will be heading more towards 175 thousand people in the next few years.

As long as we're engaging the community and playing well I think we will turn more and more heads every year.

if we can aim to get 5 % of the population over in a the next 7-10 years I'm guessing that will be around 8.5 thousand fans or so at a regular league game. That 5% bear in mind is the inner city population so add all the fans from the valleys, Monmouthshire and west country and you would like to think we will have a good following. Only then I'll start thinking about our own ground.

They could put replacement hospitality in the new stand(s) so it doesn't have to be a problem. Plus they can still use the hospitality function room for serving food if not watching the match.

BASSALEG EXILE wrote:

How much do you think it would cost to develop Rodney Parade to that standard?
Do you have any idea?

I would move the ground 18m as stated in the design. But I wouldn't sell the cabbage patch off.
The cabbage patch has lots of potential.

The Newport wrote:
BASSALEG EXILE wrote:

How much do you think it would cost to develop Rodney Parade to that standard?
Do you have any idea?

I would move the ground 18m as stated in the design. But I wouldn't sell the cabbage patch off.
The cabbage patch has lots of potential.
What has to be remembered is that the drawings were done before the Bisley was constructed, as the first phase of redevelopment. The total cost at the time was 18 million, 5 million of which was spent on the Bisley and was due to be paid back by development of the cabbage patch. The planning consent is now permanently linked, and while the designs can be changed,the principle can't.

To recap: Newport as a population of 306000, this includes the city ( population 147000), when we discuss fans we must include all urban areas, so that we make fans in Caldicot, Risca, and so on a part of the discussion, we need to be inclusive of all potential fans.

Bangitintrnet wrote:
BASSALEG EXILE wrote:

They moved the pitch north when the Bisley was built, which is why the far end of the Hazel is now behind the goal line.

If you measure the 'shed' at Spytty on Google Earth, it fits nicely over the north terrace. Something similar at the south end would be perfect as it would provide a better mixture between sitting and standing.
A possibility for the south end is a stand like Cambridge's away stand. Relatively small all seated stand which could hold the entire away allocation. This would free up the whole Bisley for Home fans.

Looks like quite a few of us are happy with some sort of re-developed Rodders and for me in all practical and sensible and ACHIEVABLE terms this is the best option.

As Stan rightly mentions, in any sensible City, this is when all the parties :
WRU (in the driving seat as they now own it) - NCFC - The City Council should sit together and think how an updated stadium can be achieved for the benefit of all the parties and more importantly the CITY AND ITS INHABITANTS involved.
It's obvious and on record how much a good stadium and good sporting teams bring great benefits in various angles to a city.

Let's not dream (even if we wanted it!! and I don't) we're not going to build a brand new £20
+ million new stadium a la,the Swans and Cardiff etc, so to be honest, people need to stop banging on about it, it won't happen.

But for me an updated Rodders, with 10k capacity (with design in built for capacity growth) is a very achievable option (finance and will on board) and I hope the 3 parties aim to sit down at some point, now we have some dough, we can finally have some credible say on the subject, and I personally will be speaking with the Chairman and CEO and trust board members etc to see if it's on the agenda.