Re: Referees

I've always felt that the major problem is that most ref's have never played the game at a reasonable level. As a result they tend to fall for all the "dark arts" rather than just laughing at it and telling them to get on with the game.

An ex-player of ours, whose opinion I totally trust, once told me that the best ref he'd ever had was Sian Massey. She basically told the players that she wouldn't stand for falling over and play-acting and the end result was a hugely entertaining, free-flowing game,

Ohhhhh, Sian Massey.

ref23 wrote:I've always felt that the major problem is that most ref's have never played the game at a reasonable level. As a result they tend to fall for all the "dark arts" rather than just laughing at it and telling them to get on with the game.

An ex-player of ours, whose opinion I totally trust, once told me that the best ref he'd ever had was Sian Massey. She basically told the players that she wouldn't stand for falling over and play-acting and the end result was a hugely entertaining, free-flowing game,

Ohhhhh, Sian Massey.
I quite agree with him. I remember seeing her years ago and thought her decision-making was superb but in those days she seemed to lack speed/stamina over 90 minutes though better than some I can think of in L2. Haven’t seen her in the middle recently though.

We really need a big push to get ex players taking up the whistle ive been on about it for years most want to go down the coaching route

A couple things I would do

All apprentices should have to take a Refs course as part of their job training (they may think I like this) and they would know the laws of the game

Then get them to Ref local games say once a month then they would improve their behaviour to officials and it would increase ref numbers

I dont know if new coaches have to learn the laws of the game perhaps they should as well and who knows they may think about taking it up as well

When I did my FA Prelim coaching badges (all those years ago) you had to take the refs course and pass the rules exam. There wasn't any practical refs stuff, but at least you had to know the rules properly!

I'm guessing that with the restructure of the Coaching badges then this probably has been dropped.

UPTHEPORT wrote:We really need a big push to get ex players taking up the whistle ive been on about it for years most want to go down the coaching route

A couple things I would do

All apprentices should have to take a Refs course as part of their job training (they may think I like this) and they would know the laws of the game

Then get them to Ref local games say once a month then they would improve their behaviour to officials and it would increase ref numbers

I dont know if new coaches have to learn the laws of the game perhaps they should as well and who knows they may think about taking it up as well
Brilliant idea UTP :cheers:

bignbeefy wrote:When I did my FA Prelim coaching badges (all those years ago) you had to take the refs course and pass the rules exam. There wasn't any practical refs stuff, but at least you had to know the rules properly!

I'm guessing that with the restructure of the Coaching badges then this probably has been dropped.
I did my FAW badge about 1995 there wasnt a Referee or Laws of the Game element then, I think that its important that all players/coaches know the laws of the game that they make their living from.

With the money players make out of the game, very few will take up reffing.

Given the money in the game, referees imo in all 4 leagues should be professional.

Increased fitness would result in sharper minds and better decisions.

I thought yesterday’s ref was decent.

excessbee wrote:Less multi-camera, slow motion analysis of decisions by TV pundits might make people less likely to jump on the referee's back. After all, they make a split second decision and get it right more often than not.
I agree entirely. I watched the Nottingham Forest penalty v Arsenal and in slow motion after several views I thought it was probably a double hit but even then I wasn't certain.

Living far from Newport most of my adult life I have been a neutral at hundreds of games. Seldom have I seen a referee not get stick from the home supporters for decisions which to me seemed obviously correct. Plus a referee can only give what he sees. I saw the dire Coggins penalty decision which still gets talked about but also the penalty we got at Sutton the same season which was equally as ridiculous but which doesn't get a mention.

Just a thought if every variable is taken out of the game then of course you don't get the frustration of being robbed but neither do you get the pleasure of the totally unmerited 1-0 away win when the County scorer was so far offside he could have caught the bus.

In terms you can't have Friday night without having a Monday morning.

ref23 wrote:I've always felt that the major problem is that most ref's have never played the game at a reasonable level. As a result they tend to fall for all the "dark arts" rather than just laughing at it and telling them to get on with the game.

Ohhhhh, Sian Massey.
She's a bloody awful lino though.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
excessbee wrote:Less multi-camera, slow motion analysis of decisions by TV pundits might make people less likely to jump on the referee's back. After all, they make a split second decision and get it right more often than not.
I agree entirely. I watched the Nottingham Forest penalty v Arsenal and in slow motion after several views I thought it was probably a double hit but even then I wasn't certain..
I watched it, saw it live in real time, called the double-hit immediately as he slipped and then saw Robbie Savage fail to see it despite numerous multi-angle replays even showing his standing foot recoiling from the impact of the ball, over and over again. Not to mention that the ball went into the net at a completely different angle to the direction of his kicking foot, which you'd think might be a clue...

SJG99 wrote:

Ohhhhh, Sian Massey.
Your having a laugh

She must be quality she made the Premier league as a lineo

UPTHEPORT wrote:
SJG99 wrote:

Ohhhhh, Sian Massey.
Your having a laugh

She must be quality she made the Premier league as a lineo
She's a terrible lino at Prem level, I can't imagine why she might have been fast-tracked... :roll: