Re: Cyrille Regis

When you think of people in football who have a legacy and achieved something more important than medals how has he never been knighted? Without someone like Regis there is a very good chance there would not be many black players now just like what we have with the Asian community in this country. His importance to the game should never be forgotten. RIP

Bush wrote:When you think of people in football who have a legacy and achieved something more important than medals how has he never been knighted? Without someone like Regis there is a very good chance there would not be many black players now just like what we have with the Asian community in this country. His importance to the game should never be forgotten. RIP
He got an MBE ??

Corpaboy wrote:
Bush wrote:When you think of people in football who have a legacy and achieved something more important than medals how has he never been knighted? Without someone like Regis there is a very good chance there would not be many black players now just like what we have with the Asian community in this country. His importance to the game should never be forgotten. RIP
He got an MBE ??
Some people got a knighthood for running around a track or rowing a boat. I think someone that broke down barriers for black players deserves more than an MBE.

I remember as a 9 year old going to Watch Coventry v Everton in 88. I went with a Friend and his Dad (Both Everton Fans). We watched the game from the away end. The abuse that the Everton fans gave Regis that day was disgusting. It was the first time I'd experienced racism and credit to Regis he didn't let it effect him. As others have said above, such an important iconic player who should not be forgotten.