Re: Last nights Ref

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Rjwebby2811 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Have to say average so a 7 from me but not the worst we have had
Said to my father in law at half time he's not a bad ref seemed to let the game flow but got worse the second half, think 7 us fair.

Bit like us then :cheers:
Exactly like us :lol:

Rjwebby2811 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Have to say average so a 7 from me but not the worst we have had
Said to my father in law at half time he's not a bad ref seemed to let the game flow but got worse the second half, think 7 us fair.
Completely agree, thought he was good first half, but truly awful second half. (Until he only gave 4 mins injury time :-))

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Rjwebby2811 wrote:

Bit like us then :cheers:
No Jim.

Even if the the ref was worse in the second half he did not see his performance level collapse completely.

Not wanting to be argumentative, but you are wrong on the other thread about Joe's great save. The truth is that if he had caught a simple cross rather than punch it out to a Crawley forward he would not have had to make the save.

As I said goalkeepers when they have an off day don't have the option of hiding, nor does the manager have the option of taking them off. For that reason you should never judge a goalkeeper on one performance. But by the same token let's not sugar coat it. Joe Day knows that he was appallingly bad last night. So does everyone else who was there.

Percy plunkett wrote:Did ok first half and gave pen when some might not have.Kewell was chatting to him as they came out for second half,his performance was poor after this so did he get influenced.

Their argument was a shot was made before the crude challenge but in my opinion the Ref got it right

And I hope MF has a word with Pipey his yellow was poor ok it looked like the ref got it wrong but as Cap last night you dont kick the ball away thats a straight yellow and doesn't set an example

For sure the Ref had it in for McClousky was it his first 4 or 5 challenges all nothing he gave Crawley a free kick.
Sometimes it was the other way around.
Only in the last 10 minutes when the crowd started giving him stick did he start equalling things out.
Thought when Micky got hacked down he was through on goal so a straight Red IMO.

No Jim.

Even if the the ref was worse in the second half he did not see his performance level collapse completely.

Not wanting to be argumentative, but you are wrong on the other thread about Joe's great save. The truth is that if he had caught a simple cross rather than punch it out to a Crawley forward he would not have had to make the save.

As I said goalkeepers when they have an off day don't have the option of hiding, nor does the manager have the option of taking them off. For that reason you should never judge a goalkeeper on one performance. But by the same token let's not sugar coat it. Joe Day knows that he was appallingly bad last night. So does everyone else who was there.[/quote]

I dont think you will find a better keeper in league two remember thats where we are

UPTHEPORT wrote:No Jim.

As I said goalkeepers when they have an off day don't have the option of hiding, nor does the manager have the option of taking them off. For that reason you should never judge a goalkeeper on one performance. But by the same token let's not sugar coat it. Joe Day knows that he was appallingly bad last night. So does everyone else who was there.
I dont think you will find a better keeper in league two remember thats where we are[/quote]

As you know Jim football is a game of opinions. I don't think Joe Day is anything other than a competent league two keeper. Last night's masterclass in ineptitude can befall any of us in any walk of life and on one performance I would not presume to judge. But to me whilst I am sure that Joe is not the worst keeper in league two I doubt very much that he is the best.

UPTHEPORT wrote:Ok we will agree to disagree

Anyway the Ref!
I thought he was okay. I didn't see why the penalty was given. That is not to say that he was wrong, simply a referee can only give what he sees. On that basis I don't criticise officials for not seeing an incident. I noticed those around me on the north terrace screaming at the ref when Frank was being held in a grip of iron by a Crawley defender. The crowd were right but unless the ref had x-ray vision there was no way we were getting a penalty.

Don't get me wrong. The only chance many people get at shouting abuse at an authority figure is to give a referee stick. The referees I dislike are the ones who want to make themselves the centre of attention. Last night we didn't have one of those.

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:Did ok first half and gave pen when some might not have.Kewell was chatting to him as they came out for second half,his performance was poor after this so did he get influenced.

Their argument was a shot was made before the crude challenge but in my opinion the Ref got it right

And I hope MF has a word with Pipey his yellow was poor ok it looked like the ref got it wrong but as Cap last night you dont kick the ball away thats a straight yellow and doesn't set an example
To counter that in the first half when we got awarded a free kick three separate Crawley players pick up the bell and go away from where the offence happened to then drop it behind them. What’s the difference from the point of view of a red? Genuinely interested.

Thought the ref allowed silly antics in the first half and that then escalated. Some of the pushing and especially the holding from their 6 and the midfielder who came on at half time was unreal. Once a red shows that he’ll ignore it the football always suffers as both teams will resort to ‘tricks’.