Re: Free Parking, one stop from Wembley

North London Exile wrote:Saturday 10th December 1983 FA Cup 2nd Round Away to Harrow Borough of the Servowarm Isthmian League

Newport County Line Up

1. Mark Kendall
2. Vaughan Jones
3. Trevor Mathewson
4. Tony Reid
5. Keith Oakes
6. Terry Boyle
7. Eugene Martinez
8. John Aldridge
9. Roy Carter
10. John Relish
11. The Shop
12. Tarki Micallef

For whatever reason my recollection is that Neville Chamberlain played for us that day.

That's really interesting because I had harboured the same recollection for all these years until I consulted the programme line up.
Not a name that one would forget.

The programme notes however state that Neville Chamberlain had joined County from Stoke on a month's loan on 24th November so you are most probably correct as per usual. Yes, George Duck was at number 8 for the 'Boro.

Comeonthecounty wrote:Trouble did happen at harrow,Was a Newport fan Dean that caused it with Chelsea fans in Harrow club,Was like a wild west scene things thrown.Inside the ground I got punched back of head I think it hurt the Chelsea fan more than me.i remember it well.
Almost true but not quite, Dean was a good friend of mine who's long since gone to that big football ground in the sky, God bless him.RIP

THE Chelsea fans turned up at Harrow as a group of them got a bit of a hiding when we played them at Somerton Park in a pre season friendly, they stayed on in Newport after the game & were giving it the " big un " all day, well they all walked past the Robin Hood & Conti's ( baldy from the past ) & they were still acting up, taking the p*** out of locals & Dean snapped, he was a real handy lad but also had a heart of gold, he gave a few of them a right hammering, someone must have remembered his name because they came in the Harrow clubhouse asking where he was but he wasn't there that day!!
THE rest as they say is history.

Many Thanks to those that have emailed

Its a great route to Wembley we are just a mile from the A40, & the train takes 5 mins

email harrowboro@gmail.com

Stan, you clearly have a far better memory than me. But, I do remember who scored our goal. It was Dave Pearce not George Duck, he scored in the win at Yeovil in the 1st Round. All those present in the away end at Yeovil that day Will remember the crowd trouble !!

Harrovian wrote:Many Thanks to those that have emailed

Its a great route to Wembley we are just a mile from the A40, & the train takes 5 mins

email harrowboro@gmail.com

Stan, you clearly have a far better memory than me. But, I do remember who scored our goal. It was Dave Pearce not George Duck, he scored in the win at Yeovil in the 1st Round. All those present in the away end at Yeovil that day Will remember the crowd trouble !!
I think it far more likely that a Harrow fan would be correct on a Harrow goal scored 35 years ago than a Newport County fan. Having convinced myself that in our 2-1 defeat of West Ham that Nigel Vaughan scored our first goal, it was in fact Howard Goddard, my memory is far from perfect.