Re: Free Parking, one stop from Wembley

Harrovian wrote:Yes , Coaches or mini buses welcome .

Joe Day did indeed play on loan for us from Rushden I think.

I was at the FA Cup game in 1983, I have no memory of any crowd trouble or incidents in the bar . It certainly wasn't "wrecked"
Johnny Aldridge scored a screamer from 30 yards he got two, can't remember the other). I was there that day and I can't remember any trouble either.

Fourthousand wrote:

I was at the FA Cup game in 1983, I have no memory of any crowd trouble or incidents in the bar . It certainly wasn't "wrecked"
Johnny Aldridge scored a screamer from 30 yards he got two, can't remember the other). I was there that day and I can't remember any trouble either.
It was about two hours before kick-off. Harrow put on a bit of a do. It was the first time that they had met a league club in a competitive fixture. A group of Chelsea supporters turned up and turned the place over. I saw no trouble at the game. When I was leaving I was approached by a Harrow supporter, who was in tears and informed me that County supporters were a bunch of thugs.

A few years later I read in a newspaper article about that day and learned that it was Chelsea 'fans' who had in fact caused the mayhem. Just because one does not see something does not mean it didn't happen.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Fourthousand wrote:

It was about two hours before kick-off. Harrow put on a bit of a do. It was the first time that they had met a league club in a competitive fixture. A group of Chelsea supporters turned up and turned the place over. I saw no trouble at the game. When I was leaving I was approached by a Harrow supporter, who was in tears and informed me that County supporters were a bunch of thugs.

A few years later I read in a newspaper article about that day and learned that it was Chelsea 'fans' who had in fact caused the mayhem. Just because one does not see something does not mean it didn't happen.
Just because someone (in this case you) reads something 30 odd years ago (that may or may not be true) and then paraphrases that 'event' from memory without referencing said article and source, doesn't mean that 'it' indeed did happen.

Also as the alleged 'event' is alleged to have happened two hours before KO and then you met a HB supporter some full 4 hours later, there is no evidence to suggest that his comments were about and related to the same alleged 'wrecking' incident (as he may have been making reference to our 'thuggish' behaviour for any number of other unrelated events).

Fourthousand wrote:

Just because someone (in this case you) reads something 30 odd years ago (that may or may not be true) and then paraphrases that 'event' from memory without referencing said article and source, doesn't mean that 'it' indeed did happen.

Also as the alleged 'event' is alleged to have happened two hours before KO and then you met a HB supporter some full 4 hours later, there is no evidence to suggest that his comments were about and related to the same alleged 'wrecking' incident (as he may have been making reference to our 'thuggish' behaviour for any number of other unrelated events).
It would seem to me unlikely that 30 odd years ago a person told me of event that they had witnessed and gave full details; and that these details were confirmed in a newspaper 25 or so years ago about five years after the event, that this event did not take place. Actually of even greater interest is that the second account differed in one significant respect, that being who was responsible. I can't remember where I read the account, probably the Guardian because it was in a newspaper and that paper is the one I usually read.

Yes I suppose two different sources, both with no axe to grind, five years apart might have given me the same account of an incident and that both were inaccurate. But I doubt it.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Fourthousand wrote:

It would seem to me unlikely that 30 odd years ago a person told me of event that they had witnessed and gave full details; and that these details were confirmed in a newspaper 25 or so years ago about five years after the event, that this event did not take place. Actually of even greater interest is that the second account differed in one significant respect, that being who was responsible. I can't remember where I read the account, probably the Guardian because it was in a newspaper and that paper is the one I usually read.

Yes I suppose two different sources, both with no axe to grind, five years apart might have given me the same account of an incident and that both were inaccurate. But I doubt it.
I'll stick with what I wrote earlier, great game, great 30 yarder from Aldridge, great day out, and like the Harrow Borough supporter above, I too didn't see or hear of any trouble that day (I spent some time talking and drinking with several of their fans) but it doesn't surprise me that you might have sleuthed out some trouble caused allegedly caused by Chelsea supporters.