Re: Foul mouthed "Fans"

Cornish Exile wrote:
Handolucifer wrote:New ground Rodney - you refer to the atmosphere of antisemitism at Wembley. Horrible to hear in this age. The Spurs fans use their nickname. I am sure you, and I ,understand irony and, using the language of hate back against those chucking it at you is a weapon against that hate. Not sure I agree about the "atmosphere it generates...." but, that is a difference of opinion. But racism amongst our, or any football team supporters or players is, in my opinion, obscene. I have been watching County since 1969 and witnessed the first generation of black footballers. Playing for us and against us. Winston White, Churchill Churchill and our own beloved Neville Chamberlain. Cyrille Regis, Brendan Batson, Laurie Cunningham, Luther Blisset et al must have experienced abuse beyond reckoning. They behaved with dignity and, knowing, they were bloody good, spoke on the pitch. Not sure we have got there yet but, football fans need to understand, there is no place where it is legitimate to be spouting off about racist, sexist, homophobic, religious etc hatred.
The first black player I remember playing against us was Doncaster Rovers defender the late Charlie Williams, who went on to make a name for himself as a very successful stand-up comedian.
Slightly later vintage for me. Ces Pod of Bredford City. To the best of my recall the first black player to play for County was Neville Chamberlain.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Cornish Exile wrote:
Handolucifer wrote:New ground Rodney - you refer to the atmosphere of antisemitism at Wembley. Horrible to hear in this age. The Spurs fans use their nickname. I am sure you, and I ,understand irony and, using the language of hate back against those chucking it at you is a weapon against that hate. Not sure I agree about the "atmosphere it generates...." but, that is a difference of opinion. But racism amongst our, or any football team supporters or players is, in my opinion, obscene. I have been watching County since 1969 and witnessed the first generation of black footballers. Playing for us and against us. Winston White, Churchill Churchill and our own beloved Neville Chamberlain. Cyrille Regis, Brendan Batson, Laurie Cunningham, Luther Blisset et al must have experienced abuse beyond reckoning. They behaved with dignity and, knowing, they were bloody good, spoke on the pitch. Not sure we have got there yet but, football fans need to understand, there is no place where it is legitimate to be spouting off about racist, sexist, homophobic, religious etc hatred.
The first black player I remember playing against us was Doncaster Rovers defender the late Charlie Williams, who went on to make a name for himself as a very successful stand-up comedian.

Slightly later vintage for me. Ces Pod of Bredford City. To the best of my recall the first black player to play for County was Neville Chamberlain.

Alex Oxland-Chamberlain's uncle I believe.

Its been discussed on here before a few years back but although he never played for the first 11 I am sure Elkanah Onyeali had a trial for the County before playing one season 60/61 for Tranmere.
I was only 11 at the time but remember a good friend of mine at the time saying powers to be were horrified at the thought of a black player in the team.
He was only at Tranmere a season with a great scoring record and played for Nigeria about a dozen times scoring as many goals.
there are articles about him including a book I believe.
Bit of a legend at the time.
A pioneer for black people in football at the time.
Remember and I was horrified at the time going to watch Cardiff in the mid sixties playing Preston and some scumbag started a chant as they had a black defender in their side.
Zigger Zagga Zigga Preston got a ******.
How those chaps kept going week after week.
So brave.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Cornish Exile wrote:
Ces Podd

Full back I believe?

UPTHEPORT wrote:What i can never get my head around is when its putting me off bringing the children to the ground :roll:

Oh yer have you ever passed a school, corner shop and listen the the children it makes this ex steelworker blush :oops:
I took my boy when he was 4 and we stood on the north terrace. A prat leant across him and called the subs warming up a bunch of kents. I'm sorry UTP but my 4 year old has never heard the c word from his classroom. That was two years ago and apart from when his team has played at half time I have never taken him again. He doesn't need to hear that when he is so young.

Bush wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:What i can never get my head around is when its putting me off bringing the children to the ground :roll:

Oh yer have you ever passed a school, corner shop and listen the the children it makes this ex steelworker blush :oops:
I took my boy when he was 4 and we stood on the north terrace. A prat leant across him and called the subs warming up a bunch of kents. I'm sorry UTP but my 4 year old has never heard the c word from his classroom. That was two years ago and apart from when his team has played at half time I have never taken him again. He doesn't need to hear that when he is so young.
My view is that there should be a designated area of the ground, perhaps a covered north terrace? Where other than bigoted language swearing is allowed.

In other parts of the stadium stewards should crack down on 'industrial language'. You are quite right, your four/six years old child should not have to hear such language. By the same token football does allow for a release of tension and the right of people to let off steam in a safe environment is also important.

I tend not to swear, although the occasional expletive has passed my lips at football matches. But by the same token I am not in the least offended by bad language. However courtesy is simply realizing that my standards do not correspond necessarily with that of others and working out ways in which we can all be respectful of each other.

Re: Some people

The designated area (as used by practically all clubs) should be the family section. That area can be designated safe from foul language, etc. Then people who don't want to hear abuse can go there (and the regulations should be strictly enforced).

The rest of the ground should be far game on language - basically anyone with a level of abuse equating to expletive-laden expletives should be subject to the usual levels of the legal system re: hate crimes etc, and subject to the ground regulations about offensive behaviour, but beyond that, it's only words and as we've seen, the majority don't mind a swear but manage sentences in between as well.

SJG99 wrote:The designated area (as used by practically all clubs) should be the family section. That area can be designated safe from foul language, etc. Then people who don't want to hear abuse can go there (and the regulations should be strictly enforced).

The rest of the ground should be far game on language - basically anyone with a level of abuse equating to expletive-laden expletives should be subject to the usual levels of the legal system re: hate crimes etc, and subject to the ground regulations about offensive behaviour, but beyond that, it's only words and as we've seen, the majority don't mind a swear but manage sentences in between as well.
I think the problem is that there are some expressions which the majority of spectators have a problem with. Particularly the 'c' word. It is problematic for me because who am I to draw the line. Which is why I believe we need a small area where anything goes, a larger area where we don't need to behave as though we are in church and a family area where decorum is required.

Bush wrote: I took my boy when he was 4 and we stood on the north terrace. A prat leant across him and called the subs warming up a bunch of kents. I'm sorry UTP but my 4 year old has never heard the c word from his classroom. That was two years ago and apart from when his team has played at half time I have never taken him again. He doesn't need to hear that when he is so young.
I think I'd refer you to SJG99's comments. My eldest is the same age as yours, and I wouldn't dream of taking him on the terrace, precisely because of the fruity / inappropriate language. It's literally only a couple of quid more to sit in the seats (whether in the Family Area or in the Hazell where you can pretty much pick a spot where you've got no-one else anywhere near you!), so why you'd take a youngster to stand near the vocal fans and then be surprised that they eff and jeff, I've no idea.

NB, that's not a criticism of your parenting - it's entirely up to you to judge what's appropriate or not appropriate for your kid - but just an observation that if you want to take him again and be away from bad language, there are plenty of options that allow you to do so. If you want to sit near me and my lad, we'll even share our Haribo with you!

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
SJG99 wrote:The designated area (as used by practically all clubs) should be the family section. That area can be designated safe from foul language, etc. Then people who don't want to hear abuse can go there (and the regulations should be strictly enforced).

I think the problem is that there are some expressions which the majority of spectators have a problem with. Particularly the 'c' word. It is problematic for me because who am I to draw the line. Which is why I believe we need a small area where anything goes, a larger area where we don't need to behave as though we are in church and a family area where decorum is required.
When you say anything goes, do you mean within the limits if the football offences act?

Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

When you say anything goes, do you mean within the limits if the football offences act?
I am an officer of the Court. Go on make a wild guess. However all law enforcement is subject to interpretation. Shouting "You blind git" outside a residential home for very frail people might very well be seen as a potential breach of section 5 of the offences against the person act. Shouting that at a referee at a football match would I suspect not be so frowned upon by the authorities.

Cornish Exile wrote:
I was talking to my estate caretaker last week. He came here from Montserrat in the late 1960s. He discovered there were two black players playing for West Ham United, one of whom was Clyde Best MBE, with the club from 1968-1976. So he started to support the Hammers and was taken aback by the flood of bananas thrown onto the pitch at matches. West Ham of course was the team famously supported by the virulent racist Alf Garnett in Till Death Do Us Part, airing on TV at the time.