Re: Some people

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
I think the problem is that there are some expressions which the majority of spectators have a problem with. Particularly the 'c' word. It is problematic for me because who am I to draw the line. Which is why I believe we need a small area where anything goes, a larger area where we don't need to behave as though we are in church and a family area where decorum is required.
When you say anything goes, do you mean within the limits if the football offences act?
I am an officer of the Court. Go on make a wild guess. However all law enforcement is subject to interpretation. Shouting "You blind git" outside a residential home for very frail people might very well be seen as a potential breach of section 5 of the offences against the person act. Shouting that at a referee at a football match would I suspect not be so frowned upon by the authorities.
My wild guess is that you've just realised how stupid it was to suggest that "we need an area where anything goes" since that is the last thing we need.

Re: Foul mouthed "Fans"

North London Exile wrote: I was talking to my estate caretaker last week. He came here from Montserrat in the late 1960s. He discovered there were two black players playing for West Ham United, one of whom was Clyde Best MBE, with the club from 1968-1976. So he started to support the Hammers and was taken aback by the flood of bananas thrown onto the pitch at matches. West Ham of course was the team famously supported by the virulent racist Alf Garnett in Till Death Do Us Part, airing on TV at the time.
Cyrille Regis was rightly praised but you could argue Clyde Best shouldered a bigger burden, being the best part of a decade earlier.
The other black West Ham player I can remember in his era was Ade Coker who only played a few games.

I come in peace.
Ade Coker made his debut on a Match of The day game and scored a cracking goal.
Then basically disappeared.
There were 4 black players.
The Charles brothers Clive & John.
Watched John play for their reserves down Ninian Park in the old Combination league.
They should bring that back
I digress saw Osgood down there for Chelsea reserves before he came good (fella was total class even at that stage of his career)
Ade Coker ended up with a very good career in north America and got a few caps for the States also.
Last edited by Harps62 on February 12th, 2018, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amberexile wrote:
My wild guess is that you've just realised how stupid it was to suggest that "we need an area where anything goes" since that is the last thing we need.
If you had read the thread you will have seen that I have said save for bigoted comments anything goes. So should people ever be allowed to make racist or homophobic comments? No. Should there be a small area where all 'industrial language' is acceptable, in my view yes.

So I disagree with you, and where as here I have not said anything stupid it would be impossible to realize that I had. The purpose of a thread is that arguments can be developed. Not to take comments out of context and thus make flawed analysis.

My view is that there should be some areas designated for families where no swearing is allowed. The majority of the stadium where we can behave in a safe environment whereby a certain level of venting is allowed. And finally a small area where those with a very limited vocabulary can let loose. Those who have had the time to read this thread fully will have gathered that already. I am though delighted to correct anyone, such as yourself, who has not had the time to read and digest the entire thread.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
If you had read the thread you will have seen that I have said save for bigoted comments anything goes. So should people ever be allowed to make racist or homophobic comments? No. Should there be a small area where all 'industrial language' is acceptable, in my view yes.

So I disagree with you, and where as here I have not said anything stupid it would be impossible to realize that I had. The purpose of a thread is that arguments can be developed. Not to take comments out of context and thus make flawed analysis.

My view is that there should be some areas designated for families where no swearing is allowed. The majority of the stadium where we can behave in a safe environment whereby a certain level of venting is allowed. And finally a small area where those with a very limited vocabulary can let loose. Those who have had the time to read this thread fully will have gathered that already. I am though delighted to correct anyone, such as yourself, who has not had the time to read and digest the entire thread.
The fact that I had read the whole thread is why I thought your unqualified suggestion was so stupid in the first place and so presented you with an open goal to correct yourself.
The fact that you realise that some people reading it would not have read the whole thread makes it doubly so.
That you have now made an attempt to correct yourself proves the point.
So much for your stupid comment, as for the idea that we should have an area within the ground where people are encouraged to misbehave that is also, in my opinion, stupid as it asks for trouble that can be blamed on the club. The amendments to the ground regulations and the customer charter would make us a laughing stock.

Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:

The fact that I had read the whole thread is why I thought your unqualified suggestion was so stupid in the first place and so presented you with an open goal to correct yourself.
The fact that you realise that some people reading it would not have read the whole thread makes it doubly so.
So much for your stupid comment, as for the idea that we should have an area within the ground where people are encouraged to misbehave that is also, in my opinion, stupid as it asks for trouble that can be blamed on the club. The amendments to the ground regulations and the customer charter would make us a laughing stock.
I know what I think. I have expressed what I think. By all means disagree. However I don't wish to argue about About what you say I mean. It's off topic which is discourteous to others and misrepresents which is discourteous to me.Sorry Paul but if you want to discuss fine, if you want an argument just find someone else.;

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

I know what I think. I have expressed what I think. By all means disagree. However I don't wish to argue about About what you say I mean. It's off topic which is discourteous to others and misrepresents which is discourteous to me.Sorry Paul but if you want to discuss fine, if you want an argument just find someone else.;

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have made my view on your suggestion of having an area in the ground where anything goes very clear and explained the reasoning for this.
Can you not see the potential trouble you would get the club in if you had your way with this idea?

Amberexile wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have made my view on your suggestion of having an area in the ground where anything goes very clear and explained the reasoning for this.
Can you not see the potential trouble you would get the club in if you had your way with this idea?

I was at Wembley. I think that the racist bile I heard should not be allowed anywhere in a stadium. I also heard people swearing pretty constantly. Do I think that the great bulk of fans should have to listen to that? No. Did the swearing cause any problems per se? No. Do I think that perhaps it would be best if such language were restricted to a small area of the ground? Yes. Do I think that this would cause potential trouble for the club? No.

Do I have a problem with you disagreeing with me? No. I can't see why you just can't accept we have a different view.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: I was at Wembley. I think that the racist bile I heard should not be allowed anywhere in a stadium. I also heard people swearing pretty constantly. Do I think that the great bulk of fans should have to listen to that? No. Did the swearing cause any problems per se? No. Do I think that perhaps it would be best if such language were restricted to a small area of the ground? Yes.
I think you're right about the first bit, but it's already covered by the law. On the last point you're either a visionary years ahead of your time or hopelessly out of touch with societal norms.

Harps62 wrote:I come in peace.
Watched John play for their reserves down Ninian Park in the old Combination league.
I digress saw Osgood down there for Chelsea reserves before he came good (fella was total class even at that stage of his career)
Ade Coker ended up with a very good career in north America and got a few caps for the States also.
I remember Clive Charles playing for Cardiff (No.3 - left back IIRC)..... I believe he went on to Liverpool around the same time as Toshack

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C2 ... Bpq5VBGOM:

SJG99 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: I was at Wembley. I think that the racist bile I heard should not be allowed anywhere in a stadium. I also heard people swearing pretty constantly. Do I think that the great bulk of fans should have to listen to that? No. Did the swearing cause any problems per se? No. Do I think that perhaps it would be best if such language were restricted to a small area of the ground? Yes.
I think you're right about the first bit, but it's already covered by the law. On the last point you're either a visionary years ahead of your time or hopelessly out of touch with societal norms.
I see your point. However I use the f@ck as an adjective on a regular basis. I tend not to use the 'c' word but it doesn't worry me. However in a football stadium I would seldom if ever use the f@ck and certainly not the 'c' word in the vicinity of children. However I do think that a small area where such language is allowed and where people who object know not to go is a good idea.

I forget who said it but the old maxim 'You may not like it but without the cesspit the whole palace stinks." applies here.

newgroundrodney wrote:
I remember Clive Charles playing for Cardiff (No.3 - left back IIRC)..... I believe he went on to Liverpool around the same time as Toshack

Just had a read up.
He left City and emigrated to America where he continued his career. Never went to Liverpool.
Very sadly passed at the young age of 51.
Some ridiculous ages you read about people leaving us.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
SJG99 wrote:
I see your point. However I use the f@ck as an adjective on a regular basis. I tend not to use the 'c' word but it doesn't worry me. However in a football stadium I would seldom if ever use the f@ck and certainly not the 'c' word in the vicinity of children. However I do think that a small area where such language is allowed and where people who object know not to go is a good idea.

I forget who said it but the old maxim 'You may not like it but without the cesspit the whole palace stinks." applies here.
Supporters have been successfully prosecuted for chants including the very words you condone.

Harps62 wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:

Just had a read up.
He left City and emigrated to America where he continued his career. Never went to Liverpool.
Very sadly passed at the young age of 51.
Some ridiculous ages you read about people leaving us.

Isn't it strange what we mis-remember?.. I think they call it Mandela effect. I definitely remember seeing him tearing down the left, with a bigger afro than when he left Cardiff. He was wearing bright red, and I'm convinced he made at least some appearances for Liverpool. Though I accept WIKI says no, but not 100% convinced.....I can see him now in my mind's eye, afro wobbling side to side as he ran. Unless he ever played for Wales?.... and no, I'm not confusing him with George Berry. :grin: