Re: Some people

whoareya wrote:
SJG99 wrote:
Caerleon Exile wrote: Tottenham Arsenal on the box...shock, everyone in the away end is stood up.
You can't see the away end on the box, it's the same side as the cameras. Everyone behind both goals is stood up and everyone down the sides opposite the camera is sat down - except when the ball is in the corner and there's a wave effect as people stand up to see.
I would bet my house that the away corner is stood up, even if you cant see it form the TV cameras.
That's as maybe, but there was no evidence proving it was at this point, so not sure what the point of the original post was.

Re: Foul mouthed "Fans"

New ground Rodney - you refer to the atmosphere of antisemitism at Wembley. Horrible to hear in this age. The Spurs fans use their nickname. I am sure you, and I ,understand irony and, using the language of hate back against those chucking it at you is a weapon against that hate. Not sure I agree about the "atmosphere it generates...." but, that is a difference of opinion. But racism amongst our, or any football team supporters or players is, in my opinion, obscene. I have been watching County since 1969 and witnessed the first generation of black footballers. Playing for us and against us. Winston White, Churchill Churchill and our own beloved Neville Chamberlain. Cyrille Regis, Brendan Batson, Laurie Cunningham, Luther Blisset et al must have experienced abuse beyond reckoning. They behaved with dignity and, knowing, they were bloody good, spoke on the pitch. Not sure we have got there yet but, football fans need to understand, there is no place where it is legitimate to be spouting off about racist, sexist, homophobic, religious etc hatred.

Re: Some people

Caerleon Exile wrote:To the right of the main camera i.e. where we were? Thought that was the away end? Regardless, they were all stood up both ends anyways.
The away section we had was from behind the goal (112) to the halfway line (122), with the camera angle you could see our fans in 112-114. Arsenal's section was restricted to half the size and right in the corner, around 115-117ish with segregation in 118 (which I only saw from the handheld camera on the pitch after the final whistle).

Both ends were stood up, but both ends visible on the normal hard camera position were Spurs fans.

Bit late now, but I found this on the Spurs site earlier, in line with what I mentioned about an anonymous text line before:

SPURS RESPECTS
We are justly proud of our superb and loyal support at home and away.

We all have a responsibility to act as ambassadors of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club and to act as considerate neighbours and visitors to those who live and work in the areas we visit.

If you witness any form of anti-social, abusive or discriminatory behaviour, crime, vandalism, violence, the use of smoke bombs or pyrotechnics close to you at any of our matches, please send a text to 87474 along with your location (block/row/seat) and the location of the offence (block/row/seat).

Text 87474 with - FOUL (language & behaviour); RACISM (racist chanting & shouting); HPH (homophobic chanting); DRINK (drinking alcohol in view of the pitch); SMOKE (smoking in the stadium); STAND (standing up); PYRO (use of or intended use of any pyrotechnic or smoke bomb).

Handolucifer wrote:New ground Rodney - you refer to the atmosphere of antisemitism at Wembley. Horrible to hear in this age. The Spurs fans use their nickname. I am sure you, and I ,understand irony and, using the language of hate back against those chucking it at you is a weapon against that hate. Not sure I agree about the "atmosphere it generates...." but, that is a difference of opinion. But racism amongst our, or any football team supporters or players is, in my opinion, obscene. I have been watching County since 1969 and witnessed the first generation of black footballers. Playing for us and against us. Winston White, Churchill Churchill and our own beloved Neville Chamberlain. Cyrille Regis, Brendan Batson, Laurie Cunningham, Luther Blisset et al must have experienced abuse beyond reckoning. They behaved with dignity and, knowing, they were bloody good, spoke on the pitch. Not sure we have got there yet but, football fans need to understand, there is no place where it is legitimate to be spouting off about racist, sexist, homophobic, religious etc hatred.

Of course it generates an anti semitic atmosphere, it was Spurs fans who introduced it into a sporting environment, so what I'm saying is, as WRONG as it is, I can at least UNDERSTAND its origin within the stadium. But the "black" issues are completely ludicrous since both teams have black players.

County Valleyboy wrote:The only swear word I don't like is the C word
Which is fine. However there are those who find the 'f' word grossly offensive, or invoking God or Christ. Which begs the question who is to judge on what is and is not unacceptable in terms of swear words?

I don't know what the answer is by the way.

Swearing per se isn't so much the problem - not many words said in the heat of the moment offend me deeply (even though I'm female and therefore deemed to be sensitive to these things). What does offend me is the swearing every other word and deeply unfunny, non-witty comments made by those who think they're being incredibly clever. All they do is show themselves to be amazingly stupid. Football fans can come up with very amusing comments - unfortunately there are too many who just aren't funny.

UPTHEPORT wrote:What i can never get my head around is when its putting me off bringing the children to the ground :roll:

Oh yer have you ever passed a school, corner shop and listen the the children it makes this ex steelworker blush :oops:
So true!

Years ago I worked in a council day nursery (the senior manager liked employing men).

Among a varied multicultural crop of 3 and 4 year olds were some who had picked up bad language in the family environment. Soon there were outraged mums banging on the office door to complain about words their precious offspring were bringing home.

I reflected upon this with a Welsh colleague who had converted to Christianity despite having a Communist miner father. I had noticed that he frequently used words such as "crikey!" and "jeepers creepers!" and realised how they originated. You can work it out. So I hit on the idea that we make up plausible swear words and pass them onto the minors. He thought this was a great idea although I don't think we ever implemented it.

Handolucifer wrote:New ground Rodney - you refer to the atmosphere of antisemitism at Wembley. Horrible to hear in this age. The Spurs fans use their nickname. I am sure you, and I ,understand irony and, using the language of hate back against those chucking it at you is a weapon against that hate. Not sure I agree about the "atmosphere it generates...." but, that is a difference of opinion. But racism amongst our, or any football team supporters or players is, in my opinion, obscene. I have been watching County since 1969 and witnessed the first generation of black footballers. Playing for us and against us. Winston White, Churchill Churchill and our own beloved Neville Chamberlain. Cyrille Regis, Brendan Batson, Laurie Cunningham, Luther Blisset et al must have experienced abuse beyond reckoning. They behaved with dignity and, knowing, they were bloody good, spoke on the pitch. Not sure we have got there yet but, football fans need to understand, there is no place where it is legitimate to be spouting off about racist, sexist, homophobic, religious etc hatred.
The first black player I remember playing against us was Doncaster Rovers defender the late Charlie Williams, who went on to make a name for himself as a very successful stand-up comedian.

westsider wrote:Swearing per se isn't so much the problem - not many words said in the heat of the moment offend me deeply (even though I'm female and therefore deemed to be sensitive to these things). What does offend me is the swearing every other word and deeply unfunny, non-witty comments made by those who think they're being incredibly clever. All they do is show themselves to be amazingly stupid. Football fans can come up with very amusing comments - unfortunately there are too many who just aren't funny.
This with bells on. When used effectively, swear words can really add to the hilarity. It's when it's constant braindead swearing that it gets tedious for me.