Re: Frank

Mr Figo wrote:Not slagging him off mate. I am just saying I do not how he gets to play week in and week out. It's funny how this forum used to have debates about players and now when anyone post something on here regarding a football related matter it is classed as "slagging a player off". My opinion - I think Flynny should look for a better option next season and I don't think he warrants a place in the side. There you go - slightly controversial I know but lets not turn this board into a board where people cannot hold opinions about players. If the team was perfect then we would be top of the league.

Not slagging him off? So what does this mean in your world?:

"I'm sorry but I simply don't see how he gets picked week in and week out. Poor touch, not enough work rate, no goals, can't win headers. What does he do for Flynny to pick him week in and week out?????"

Frank is what he is 15 clubs in 10 years only player to be loaned out to another club in the Chinese league. Striker are merited on goals not how many step overs you can do . He stated intesterdays column he was raring to go ?? Go where shoppping in tescos ?? He never broke sweat almond run his self into the ground last night and do most games imo frank needs to be dropped

whoareya wrote: Not slagging him off? So what does this mean in your world?:

"I'm sorry but I simply don't see how he gets picked week in and week out. Poor touch, not enough work rate, no goals, can't win headers. What does he do for Flynny to pick him week in and week out?????"
I'd say that was reasoned criticism, as opposed to slagging him off.

FWIW I thought he was ok last night and he headed more than usual, though he's nothing like as dominant as he should be in the air for his height, didn't press the ball enough, and I wonder whether Hayes might have more impact (though his age works against him playing the full 90).

What we saw last night was how little working yourself into the ground alone (Amond) can get you without others playing off you.

Sorry chaps let's get real here... Frank wasn't at his best yesterday but he was up against elite footballers. He's not a Premier League player, he's a League Two player and a good one at our level. He's not going to be playing against Prem players week in, week out. The fact that someone earlier on ( can't be arsed to check who) has said they would prefer Rigg speaks volumes :lol: Just because someone runs and runs it doesn't make you a good footballer. Flynny hasn't done too badly so far with Frank in the team so we must he doing something right :cheers:

That's usually more of a trope than an actual thing, though noting his appearances and absences this season shows that he's played every League match and all of the FA Cup games, none of the EFL Cup games or FL Trophy matches .

So if you were making a case, there's nothing in the stats to suggest it isn't true.

Normally a big fan of Frank and think he should play week in week out but last night he was poor. Fully accept he is up against quality PL players so will lose out to better skill levels and pace. However, lost count of the times he didn’t track back which gave their midfield so much time and space. Should have plugged more holes when defending from the front. Pitch was huge so needed this quality more than ever. Also not tracking back prevented Butler relieving pressure as Frank was often offside.
Flynn needed to replace Frank and Willmott who was also poor even tho he crossed a great ball for Amond 1st half.
Flynn may have been concerned about Pipe and White fitness levels so maybe restricted in the subs he made.
More of a concern is Sheehan not taking part. Clearly Flynn doesn’t think he is up to speed which is understandable following his injury but is an expensive passenger so far this season. Hope he comes good before August.
Anyway a great day out - was excellent seeing all the coaches at Spytty, services etc. Pity we can’t repeat these numbers more often.

Caerleon do you go to most home and away games ? Colchester Saturday? Frank saying his poor performance was due to him being a booking away from missing last night's game , strikers are judged on goals he dont look no where near scoring

Done himself no justice last night I'm afraid, I'll have my opinion and my opinion is that he should have been subbed at half time.

I thought he was totally ineffective and for a player of his calibre I expected him to lead the line, which he did not.

What I don't get is that we had Hayes on the bench who is an experienced older head, has scored in big games like last night before and I would have fancied my chances of him having at least a shot at goal.

And before anyone jumps on my back, the general consensus in the away end from what I could hear was very similar to that above.

Percy plunkett wrote:We've got less recovery time before FGR.He needs a rest and Hayes should start Saturday.Why play Frank as a defensive Cover for Dan is a mystery.He always looks slow to react,not just last night.He needs a rest but MF will probably still start him.
The tactical thing is because our wide attackers were assigned to tracking their full backs - which is why they were mostly ineffective going forward. Unfortunately that's definitely not one of Frank's strengths (though McCoulsky looked far less comfortable when asked to do it late on), but it was an obvious requirement from a formation with three nominal attackers.

It's one of the reason I'm not being critical of Nouble or Willmott, because without them tucking in and being goalside we'd have been completely overwhelmed down the flanks all of the time, rather than just getting exploited occasionally when over-committed to attack and out of position. Without attacking players in those positions we wouldn't have any kind of outlet, and even as it was most of our stuff which went down the left didn't get as far as a cross or shot due to Spurs' defending and sometimes or attacking choices. Nouble was higher profile in this but Willmott's role seemed more defensive and he and Pipe mostly kept Rose quiet.

We can't say we're happy that we kept the score down but also be annoyed that our wide players, who were focused on doing that, weren't more effective with their attacking...

I don't buy into all this Nouble bashing. He didn't produce a great deal last night, but then who did? What were we expecting?

For me it boils down to this - will he make a noticeable difference in League Two games between now and the end of the season - and the answer, for me at least, is yes. The last thing we want now is for fans to get on his back and for him to lose confidence, because I think we'd be a different team without him in L2.

I think he has good games and bad ones, but with the wealth of attacking options we have he probably shouldn't be starting every match. Mind you McCoulsky's impact has diminished a fair bit since that Leeds goal.

Also having watched the County's You Know The Drill on Soccer AM last Saturday I'm amazed we've ever scored.

Frank is one of those players that divides opinion. It was posted earlier that we should use the money to offer him a new contract. I would suggest we look at better replacements. Not sure what the plan is for next season but Flynny has indicated that he wants to build a club not a team so maybe this would suggest youngsters rather than aging journeymen. I would make one exception to that - dependant on what contract Akinfenwa is on - I would look at a one year deal for him rather than Frank as he offers an extra dimension that Frank does not have. His experience would also be invaluable for the youngsters at the club as well.

owlsabout wrote:Caerleon do you go to most home and away games ? Colchester Saturday? Frank saying his poor performance was due to him being a booking away from missing last night's game , strikers are judged on goals he dont look no where near scoring
Well done mate. You went to Colchester so your opinion is more valid than mine. I'm sure the club is ordering your "I travelled to Colchester" award as we speak. I'm a Season Ticket holder for the record but no I don't go away these days as I'm saving for a house. Maybe we should have a designated message board for the elite fans that travel away because automatically their opinion is twice as valid. Moderators can you do this for owlsabout et al so they can have an elite super fan off to their hearts content? :cheers: