Re: Joe Day

Great shot stopper thank goodness but his distribution was terrible again.
Hoof it anywhere hopefully not out of play
Total difference between 2 & Premier is Vorm can drop the ball to either full back and they distribute and start attacking.
So cool not a care in the world.
Joe hasn't the players to do that.
100% difference in quality and confidence.
without Joe it would of been 4 or 5 and if their strikers could of hit the target dread to think what it would of been
But it will still be 2-0 for ever..
Proud to be there watching our boys.

Two dodgy kicks, one low one which went directly to a County player in space and one which was a bad back pass leaving him at a difficult angle under pressure which went where he aimed it - which with a fraction of a second to adjust was directly in front of where he was facing, off the pitch near the halfway line.

I think I'll cope with that when he's making the excellent one-on-one stops and difficult saves he did all match yesterday - he's a great keeper for this level.
Last edited by SJG99 on February 8th, 2018, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Gallipoli wrote:Over the two games I think Vorm kicked it out about 3 times.

For whatever reason he just wanted to pass it to the full backs every time and it invited pressure.
Tactical thing, Pochettino always wanted his keepers to play it short and the defenders play it out of the back - which is why he always plays 2 DMs even against sides who offer little threat (I'd put County in that category), because it gives the defenders options to play the ball into the middle of the park - from then it's a 5 yard Wanyama pass* out wide or through the middle and away you go.

The analytics data shows you're more likely to concede from your own keeper kicking it long (and immediately losing possession about 50% of the time) than you are from playing from the back and occasionally giving it away in your own half. Guardiola also knows this, though obviously it helps if you have some world-class players.

*I know he doesn't start often, but he also shouldn't pass any further than that.

For whatever reason he just wanted to pass it to the full backs every time and it invited pressure.
No pressure whatsoever.

Both full backs were cool as cucumbers as was their midfield.
Just waltzed around whoever tried to put any pressure on them.
Different class altogether but that's what we would expect.
Pass to your full back and build out rather than league 2 hoof it up in the air and hope somebody can jump high enough to pick it up

Harps62 wrote:

No pressure whatsoever.

Pass to your full back and build out rather than league 2 hoof it up in the air and hope somebody can jump high enough to pick it up
The other thing about playing from the back is it tends to create space in attacking midfield areas when the opposition do press the defenders with more than just their strikers.

Harps62 wrote:

No pressure whatsoever.

I said over the two games, in which the first game we pressured the Spurs defence into a number of errors after Vorm passed it out from the back.

Last night we did not, agreed.