Ben Tozer

Just catching up on the last few Argus posts and have just read Ben Tozers story regarding the Westley saga.
I really hope those that continually gave him grief on here can now finally realise he did nothing wrong as it was all 100% down to that idiot Westley.
Even when he came back into the side this season, contributors were knocking him still not believing that he had done nothing wrong.
Sure it was the same with the others, Westley had put out to grass as well.

Re: Ben Tozer

Having read the article I think that Ben Tozer is to be commended for being so open about what must have been a truly awful experience.

It seems clear that Graham Westley was a bully. I have no doubt that as Ben has said, Westley was utterly paranoid and convinced that there was a conspiracy against him.

Reading the comments about Westley in the Argus on this story and the general comments about Westley on here, one, no doubt unpopular, thought struck me. Alone in his office, paranoid and scared, convinced he was being plotted against, seeing his career collapsing who did Graham Westley have to turn to? When people are in mental anguish they have to release their anger and hurt. When they turn their anger on themselves it is depression. When they take it out on others it is as paranoid bullies.

But the anguish is just the same, the pain just as real. Perhaps as well as understanding and sympathizing with Ben, we should perhaps spare a thought for Graham Westley also.

UPTHEPORT wrote:Question for Stan should the Club be worried about this in a legal sense would Ben have a case to take his employer Newport County to court for stress at work
Never heard of a case in court regarding stress at work for a professional footballer. Probably goes with the territory.

I think it is a case of how the club and the Senior officials manage his stress. If he saw a Doctor they probably were aware of it. I wonder if he was off sick with it if they asked him to fill in a stress risk assessment? Hmmmm.

UPTHEPORT wrote:Question for Stan should the Club be worried about this in a legal sense would Ben have a case to take his employer Newport County to court for stress at work
I am not going to comment on any case of which a) I don't know the full facts, and b) I am not being paid to comment on.

But is an employee company responsible for the acts of it's employees which they carry out in the course of their work? Yes.

Harps62 wrote:Pembs.

Sorry but really don't understand your last sentence.

Can you expand that a little as you have lost me there.

Yeh, sure. Where I work if you report to your employer that you are suffering from work related stress then you are asked to fill in a work related stress risk assessment. It is quite a wordy document. The point that I am trying to make is that it seems to be important as to how stress is managed. You can't just ignore it, you have to do something.

I have never heard it reported though that this has happened in professional football. May be wrong though.

He says that no one at the club was aware at the time and only Flynny AFTER Westley had been shown the door.
Like Randall, Tozer told him he wanted to leave so Westley didn't want to play him and as long as he didn't 'bully' him, it's his prerogative as manager, not sure there's much of a case against the club...

Exile 1976 wrote:He says that no one at the club was aware at the time and only Flynny AFTER Westley had been shown the door.
Like Randall, Tozer told him he wanted to leave so Westley didn't want to play him and as long as he didn't 'bully' him, it's his prerogative as manager, not sure there's much of a case against the club...
A few years ago I did an employment case in Belfast. The company fired a worker for alleged gross misconduct. We were able to show that my client was under stress at the time of the incident. It was held, on all the facts that in failing to have a protocol in place to deal with work place stress, that the company were at fault. We received a sum of five figures.

There is not nearly enough information known to begin to make a judgement as to the merits or otherwise of this incident.

Exile 1976 wrote:He says that no one at the club was aware at the time and only Flynny AFTER Westley had been shown the door.
Exile.
Think you are reading this totally different to myself and the article.
Where in the article did it state the points you have raised?
Ben states he was basically exiled not that he wanted to leave the club.
Westley just stopped picking him and put him out to grass.