Re: Today

Stan A. Einstein wrote:I think many of you are missing the point. It is of no consequence whether Harps is right or wrong. By all means challenge what Harps says but don't tell him not to voice what he wishes.

Without bothering to look back through the thread, did anyone actually tell him not to voice what he wishes??
A lot of people are saying that the pitch & drainage are wrecked (possibly so) and then there are those that haven't jumped to conclusions (based on one postponement) and waiting for this to happen again... no one knows (with the exception of the groundsmen ) but it appears to be quite an emotive subject anyhoo...

George Street-Bridge wrote:Harps, give it a rest. Your need to spout off repetitively and at length on every subject going is the equivalent of a pub bore emptying the place out.
Save you looking back Exile.
Time for bed

Willthiswork wrote:
Harps62 wrote:Next weekend will be the test.

Newport Rugby play on it Friday Llanelli
We play on it Saturday
Dragons play on it Sunday. Benetton

3 games 3 days.
Hope its dry
I would think that Newport RFC's game may be 'moved'.
After Sunday Dragons play 1 more home game.
Newport RFC play 5 more after Friday.
No news about Fridays game being moved.
Photo shown on other thread of the pitch shows no posts in place.
No idea what time it was taken but it was not at Inspection time for sure.
If it stays dry next weekend there will hopefully be no more postponements.
No idea what the pitch will look like though.

Re: Exiles v Forest Green Rovers

SJG99 wrote:For the removal of doubt, this is the pitcture we're talking about. The football pitch is still entirely covered in grass (and quite a lot of water).

Much has been said about the rain being constant but light, so I have checked a Met site to actually see how much actually fell. Apart from the obvious artic, followed by monsoon, conditions around UTP's house, it is reported that for 36 hours from 12pm 9th February to midnight on the 10th, there was only 12.6mm of rain, about half an inch. Looking at the data for 24 hours to midday on the 10th, only 7.6mm had fallen. On that basis, the prognosis for when it really does rain would not appear to be very good.

I do feel for Newpôrt RFC in all this.

They were the original owners of RP, then along came the Dragons to usurp them. For some, that still rankles.

Lo and behold, along come the County with all the paraphenalia regarding priority of fixtures etc.

I think the Board need to be particularly astute when it comes to dealing with pitch and fixture issues. If they get it wrong then it may be difficult to convince the authorities that we need to extend our rental agreement. With all the feelgood factors going along for the County at the moment it would be a shame to forget about our long term future and where it lies.

pembsexile wrote:I do feel for Newpôrt RFC in all this.

They were the original owners of RP, then along came the Dragons to usurp them. For some, that still rankles.

Lo and behold, along come the County with all the paraphenalia regarding priority of fixtures etc.

I think the Board need to be particularly astute when it comes to dealing with pitch and fixture issues. If they get it wrong then it may be difficult to convince the authorities that we need to extend our rental agreement. With all the feelgood factors going along for the County at the moment it would be a shame to forget about our long term future and where it lies.
It's a great shame but let's remember that Newport RFC made bad, probably enforced, business decisions, and as with the original County the outcome was much the same, they were virtually bust and sadly have lost everything including RP. Our problem was years of neglect and Sherman, theirs the WRU and the Dragons franchise.

Re: TODAY - Exiles v Forest Green Rovers

Some prize nonsense on the FGR forum, including this gem: "We stood outside the entrance gate before being told the game was off and then walked back to the coach where we waited for some time. In all that time we never saw one Newport County fan, I wonder why ???"

Send for Mulder and Scully! :shock:

Edit: And this peach from earlier in the week: "Just bought my ticket to game. If the away end only holds 400+ fans and FGR took nearly 800 to Swindon, I suspect there might be some fans locked out on day. Or does Newport have any contingency arrangements for a BIG away crowd."

George Street-Bridge wrote:Some prize nonsense on the FGR forum, including this gem: "We stood outside the entrance gate before being told the game was off and then walked back to the coach where we waited for some time. In all that time we never saw one Newport County fan, I wonder why ???"

Send for Mulder and Scully! :shock:
I think the point he may have been making is that if the game had been called off at the last minute then County fans would have been arriving. If the game was in fact called off at lunchtime then the Forest Green supporters could have been turned around or prevented from leaving Gloucestershire.
It seems to me that whether on the part of County, Forest Green, or media reports that there may have been a breakdown in communication.

Prize nonsense or the pub bore not thinking it through? The truth is no doubt out there somewhere. 8)

George Street-Bridge wrote:I read the inference as Newport supporters must have known all along it would be off so stayed at home,which makes most sense.

Their supporters' coach was due to leave their ground at 1130, which would have entailed an inspection at what, 1100? I think it followed us up Corporation Road at about 10 past one.
I read it the same as you, as if it were some city-wide conspiracy.

Their forum had a few gems on it last week, including one thread where a number of their fans were genuinely concerned there wouldn't be enough space for their travelling hordes in our away end!!