Re: TODAY - Exiles v Forest Green Rovers

George Street-Bridge wrote:I read the inference as Newport supporters must have known all along it would be off so stayed at home,which makes most sense.

Their supporters' coach was due to leave their ground at 1130, which would have entailed an inspection at what, 1100? I think it followed us up Corporation Road at about 10 past one.
It was announced that there was to be a pitch inspection at 1-15. The game was announced as being off on this board at 1-30. It seems that after the Friday night game there was doubt that the game would take place. In those circumstances it seems to me quite reasonable that Forest Green supporters might be concerned. That is not to say that there isn't a perfectly proper explanation, i.e.the bad weather set in late and that prior to 1-30 or there abouts the possibility of the game not going ahead was not foreseen. Likewise if there were a breakdown in communication there is no reason to believe that County only contacted local media and not the BBC. However the concern is a legitimate one.

You know old chap, just because someone does not agree with you doesn't mean that they are prize idiots or pub bores. I really think that it is time we all started to nurture our views and express them with respect for others.

But of course if it was called off at 1100 and then the rain blew over the same people would be whining about County getting the game called off for nefarious reasons, while home supporters would rightly complain that the interests of a single coachload from Nailsworth were being pioritised.

Inspecting at 1.15 seems about right to me - and I had a wasted 200-mile round trip. These things happen.

George Street-Bridge wrote:But of course if it was called off at 1100 and then the rain blew over the same people would be whining about County getting the game called off for nefarious reasons, while home supporters would rightly complain that the interests of a single coachload from Nailsworth were being pioritised.

Inspecting at 1.15 seems about right to me - and I had a wasted 200-mile round trip. These things happen.
George,

I have no problem with your view. What I do have a problem with is that anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot or a pub bore. For far too long I was guilty of engaging you at this level with the result that too many legitimate discussions ended in people hurling insults. I was at least as much at fault as you and others but enough is enough.

For a long time I simply blocked you and others but it seems to me that a better idea would be to start treating people with respect and acknowledging that it is perfectly possible for reasonable people to disagree. That is not to say that there should not be banter but looking from the outside some of the nastiness on here gets ridiculous.

George Street-Bridge wrote:But of course if it was called off at 1100 and then the rain blew over the same people would be whining about County getting the game called off for nefarious reasons, while home supporters would rightly complain that the interests of a single coachload from Nailsworth were being pioritised.

I had a long trip (from Surrey) and arrived at Newport station just as the game was called off (same thing happened last season for the Stevenage game). I didn't check social media after 12-pm- I just assumed it would be on .... No complaints - just one of those things. Will keep a closer eye on the weather from now on :lol:

rgds Dave

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: I have no problem with your view. What I do have a problem with is that anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot or a pub bore.
Which, of course, is complete nonsense.
From my entirely neutral perspective (arguing with everyone :grin: ) I'd suggest that everyone focuses on playing the ball and not the man from now on...

ref23 wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:I read the inference as Newport supporters must have known all along it would be off so stayed at home,which makes most sense.

Their supporters' coach was due to leave their ground at 1130, which would have entailed an inspection at what, 1100? I think it followed us up Corporation Road at about 10 past one.
I read it the same as you, as if it were some city-wide conspiracy.
The bit that amuses me is that no-one in Nailsworth seemed to think that everyone in Newport having found out the match they were planning on going was off 2 hours beforehand might possibly be the reason no-one was there.

(With apologies to those travelling who also didn't find out - if you're driving fair enough, but there wasn't a single FGR fan in that minibus 8) who saw the postponement online?).

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: I have no problem with your view. What I do have a problem with is that anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot or a pub bore.
Which, of course, is complete nonsense.
George,

We have all been to blame for hurling abuse. Just ask yourself though how does posting the comment 'Harps, give it a rest. Your need to spout off repetitively on every subject going is the equivalent of a pub bore emptying the place out.', help to develop a conversation? Other than starting a row what possible outcome did you expect to get from being plain rude to another person just like you and me well past the first flush of youth?

I'll be honest with you. Having met with the extraordinary kindness and generosity of County fans, I felt rather embarrassed that I had let hyperbole get the better of me in the past. Don't you think perhaps you should try going on the same journey?

George Street-Bridge wrote:Well, I admit I don't use this place as fertile ground for gathering people into my gang. But I do get exasperated if someone shouts the odds so vociferously when chunks of it don't stand up.
George,

I'm the same. But where does abusing people get us. I came to the conclusion that calling an idea gormless was fair enough but referring to a person as gormless was just rude and I should not have said it. Doesn't equating Harps to a repetitive pub bore equate to the same thing? Funnily enough my fiancee was recently on a course. She told me that the thing she took from it was that before we sound off about things we should look at the motivation of the people involved.

For that reason I have never insulted a player, no goalkeeper has ever deliberately dropped a ball, no forward ever deliberately blazes wide. Criticism is fair enough. Joe Bloggs lacks pace and is no good in the air pace and isn't good enough for League 2 is fair comment. Calling him a piece of dog muck is just an insult. I confess that whilst my views on how well our club has been run are fair comment I have slipped into being rude about the individual, which is wrong.That I get exasperated when posters on here don't know the difference between criticism of action and ability which is justified and criticism of motive, which is not, does not excuse me on the occasions when I have slipped into the latter.

As somebody wiser than me said, try removing the log from your own eye before you worry about the spec in the eye of others.I am not suggesting that we should become humourless or not enjoy banter. My description of a person as gormless was wrong, as was yours of a person being a repetitive pub bore was wrong. Unlike some young people on here who use far worse, we don't have the excuse of being young for being stupid. Think about it.

To give a little local perspective on conditions close to Saturday’s postponement. I was at the Dragons game on Friday night, the pitch played well with no standing water and as far as I was concerned at least, our match on the following day appeared to be in no danger at all.
However despite some weather sites saying things like “light rain” or “drizzle”, the rain was far from being that and a local park that I used to use as a model for predicting whether games would be on, was in fact showing surface water in a number of areas and I’ve been told there were no local games on.
As to the conspiracy theory that us County fans weren’t at RP because we knew the game would be off :grin: the truth is we were all in the pub watching the football and news of a pitch inspection surprised us as much as the FGR fans , not because the rain was light ( it wasn’t, it was heavyish ) but because previously the pitch has drained so well.
That’s my take on it and tbh last year we would have all expected it to be off anyway as UTP intimated so we’ll have to see what happens in the next month or so. The big worry is that the drainage problem is still alive and well and ruining all the good work done on the pitch last summer. For the moment I’m hoping for the best.

:grin:
Amberexile wrote:Nice to see a post back on topic.

I was wondering on Saturday what your test pitch was looking like. Good to see that it may still be of relevance to RP conditions.

I trust you will keep us updated on its condition during the run up to this weekend.
:grin: I’ll do my best! Thought that it had outlived its usefulness, perhaps not. I would have liked to have seen the pitch at RP say an hour after it had stopped raining, is it slow to drain or have the drains failed ( again ) ? I wonder.