Re: Grandstand: Mansfield

SJG99 wrote:
Ok, prove it. Post absolutely anything, anywhere, other than your previous post, that has any journalist, manager, pundit, or anyone else indicating that when a team loses 6 matches (not 5, not 7) the manager is sacked "as a rule of thumb".
Very few managers will survive six consecutive defeats. Just look at the sackings so far this season, or any season for that matter.

More worrying is that the spirit in the team seems low. County were playing badly but picking up points in the early part of the season. That showed a good spirit if nothing else.

I am beginning to wonder if there has been a major falling out behind the scenes. As I said this is Flynn's first real challenge. It was bound to come. Whether as a manager Flynn has the potential to kick on I think we are about to find out.

The greatest manager of all time in the English game was, love him or loathe him, Alex Ferguson. His philosophy was no matter how great a player was if he gave you trouble he was out. Beckham and Keene being prime examples. Whether Flynn has such character the time has perhaps come to see.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
SJG99 wrote:
Ok, prove it. Post absolutely anything, anywhere, other than your previous post, that has any journalist, manager, pundit, or anyone else indicating that when a team loses 6 matches (not 5, not 7) the manager is sacked "as a rule of thumb".
Very few managers will survive six consecutive defeats. Just look at the sackings so far this season, or any season for that matter.

More worrying is that the spirit in the team seems low. County were playing badly but picking up points in the early part of the season. That showed a good spirit if nothing else.

I am beginning to wonder if there has been a major falling out behind the scenes. As I said this is Flynn's first real challenge. It was bound to come. Whether as a manager Flynn has the potential to kick on I think we are about to find out.

The greatest manager of all time in the English game was, love him or loathe him, Alex Ferguson. His philosophy was no matter how great a player was if he gave you trouble he was out. Beckham and Keene being prime examples. Whether Flynn has such character the time has perhaps come to see.
Not many of those manager sacked after 6 defeats have an incredible miraculous escape from relegation and a cup run that including beating one of the biggest championship sides then drawing with one of the best teams in Europe which resulted in a trip to Wembley and bringing in nearly a million pound. And as I've also said commiting to the team with a contract extension which is rare for managers at this level when their stock is high. I'd say if he lost every game this season he should still be given the chance to run the club next year. Doesn't mean I can't critise his decision making just that I believe he has earnt the chance to make his errors at this club.

Why week in week out are we hoofing the ball up to Padraig.
Thought this team of ours could play a bit on the ground.
Poor fella albeit pretty good in the air is also slow and out on his own up there.
Just does not make any sense.
Daft thing is possibly our best lad in the air is our smallest player Dan

So what happened to that team that put on such a skillful and professional performance against Spurs at Rodney Parade..a ram that constantly went forward and played for each other?
Cannot believe what's happening
My gut feeling is Flynn'y is too conservative and would rather try not to lose than try to go all out for a solid win

Spurs was a different genre.

They didn’t wanna out their foot in ..... they let us have it until we gave it back in a passive state, mostly in non dangerous areas.

Mansfield bullied us, harrased us, and made us give them the ball in wrong/dangerous areas which they punished us (actually missed easy chances too).

Also adrenaline and Wembley got us through the Spurs games, plus don’t forget if Llorente could actually kick a ball straight, it would have been 4/5 at Wembley too.

Adrenaline and fear can get you through a game, it can’t get you through a season.

Amberexile wrote:Teams have sussed that our passing falls apart if you put a bit of pressure on us.
Problem is the long ball is far worse.
Didn't happen with Leeds etc when we played it out wide to Robbie & Frank.
Straight hoofing down the middle needs 2 fellas both good in the air up front.
No need for Robbie to even play.
This all starts with Joe who presumably has been instructed not to do a Spurs, pass to either full back and move forward but to kick it as far as possible down the middle and prey Padraig wins it but then he has nobody to feed off him.
Tactics are useless currently.

I was there with my son last night.

Abject .... embarrassing .....lamentable ..... but everyone one of the team, management and fans who were there last night knows that.

Something was very wrong. Virtually no effort or commitment. As others have said Joe was clearly MOTM. A telling fact was that no-one on either side was booked.

Almost as if they had all had a fall-out on the coach up there.

It could easily have been 10-0.

A big test for Mr Flynn and the management team to get this sorted out.