Re: You can stick your technology

Lucky Mascot 2 wrote:I think the introduction of technology is a good thing to help refs make the right decision. In this case the lines drawn by a 6 year old werent the ones used to determine whether it was offside.
What I would like to see introduced at our level is the option of subbbing the ref at half time when they are having a stinker. This would be voted on by ref assessor and two managers.

Haha, i thought you were serious for a moment

While VAR may have a place for deciding matters of fact (after all goal-line technology seems to work well ) , it is of no use at all for incidents like diving, penalties etc. All you are doing in the latter case is swapping one opinion for another, a totally pointless exercise unless the second opinion is infallible which sadly is never going to be the case and in any case may be muddied by slow motion replays which often distort the incident, making it seem more serious. These latter decisions are always open to much debate and so in addition will contribute to holding up play and spoiling the flow of the match. Imho therefore VAR should just be used for matters of fact which may expose some foul play e.g. did the player spit? Did he punch? etc. It can never decide if he dived, that’s a matter of opinion and the ref should decide : the only exception should be on the rare occasion the officials had no view of the incident at all.

lowandhard wrote:While VAR may have a place for deciding matters of fact (after all goal-line technology seems to work well ) , it is of no use at all for incidents like diving, penalties etc. All you are doing in the latter case is swapping one opinion for another, a totally pointless exercise unless the second opinion is infallible which sadly is never going to be the case and in any case may be muddied by slow motion replays which often distort the incident, making it seem more serious. These latter decisions are always open to much debate and so in addition will contribute to holding up play and spoiling the flow of the match. Imho therefore VAR should just be used for matters of fact which may expose some foul play e.g. did the player spit? Did he punch? etc. It can never decide if he dived, that’s a matter of opinion and the ref should decide : the only exception should be on the rare occasion the officials had no view of the incident at all.
I pretty agree with this, other than to say those should be rare enough that it's not worth having at all.