Re: argus story- new academy in Newport.

owlsabout wrote:Jimmy by helping plan it out aint that being involved?
Hi. yeah I get that but you said it concerned you so I thought you must have known how Involved he was for it to concern you.

when they say he helped on the planning that might be the planning permission with the council. maybe he sat with then for a couple of hours and gave a bit of advice. we don't know do we so nothing to be concerned about unless you no different

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:/quote]

Let me answer you in full.

I am not only a share holder in Newport County AFC I am also a share holder in the Trust. I also at the time of the formation of the Trust made a donation, for no other reason than my support of Newport County and my support of the Trust model.

Sadly despite giving my full details to the Trust at the meeting and over the next six months sending three follow up em ails I never heard from the Trust again.

I don't know whether this was because the Trust doesn't want members who are not prepared to kiss arse, or whether it was incompetence on the part of the Trust. My betting is on incompetence. I say this because I am am far from being alone in being ignored.

I trust this answers your question. I am sorry that once again our club is shown to be run badly, but you did insist. 8)
The communication is poor, but that does not mean the club is run badly.
That is a fair point. Poor communication is an indicator of a poorly run club but I agree it is not definitive.

Communication aside, How do you measure a well run club, Is it success on the pitch or a healthy balance sheet?

Jimmy Exile wrote:
Hi. yeah I get that but you said it concerned you so I thought you must have known how Involved he was for it to concern you.

when they say he helped on the planning that might be the planning permission with the council. maybe he sat with then for a couple of hours and gave a bit of advice. we don't know do we so nothing to be concerned about unless you no different
Two points here Jimmy. The first is that Gavin Foxall is the chairman of Newport County. That he has offered to assist and indeed has offered assistance to a rival organization, Newport County having an academy of our own. This in my view is in and of itself a breach of his duty to the shareholders of Newport County. The only issue is the greater the assistance the greater the breach and the greater the potential harm. How much assistance was given is of course only known to be what Darren Jones believes to be a lot.

The second point is that your assertion that we know nothing means that we should not worry or comment. Like an ostrich burying it's head in the sand. If that is what you wish to believe then of course that is a matter for you. I am grateful that my late mother didn't bring me up to be quite so trusting. When it comes to the things in my life which matter, I hope I am not cynical but I prefer to set my own mind at rest rather than just believe like a latter day Doctor Panglos that all will be well in the best of all possible worlds.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Jimmy Exile wrote:

Two points here Jimmy. The first is that Gavin Foxall is the chairman of Newport County. That he has offered to assist and indeed has offered assistance to a rival organization, Newport County having an academy of our own. This in my view is in and of itself a breach of his duty to the shareholders of Newport County. The only issue is the greater the assistance the greater the breach and the greater the potential harm. How much assistance was given is of course only known to be what Darren Jones believes to be a lot.

The second point is that your assertion that we know nothing means that we should not worry or comment. Like an ostrich burying it's head in the sand. If that is what you wish to believe then of course that is a matter for you. I am grateful that my late mother didn't bring me up to be quite so trusting. When it comes to the things in my life which matter, I hope I am not cynical but I prefer to set my own mind at rest rather than just believe like a latter day Doctor Panglos that all will be well in the best of all possible worlds.
hi. Is it really a rival organisation?

Alan G Bryant wrote:
Communication aside, How do you measure a well run club, Is it success on the pitch or a healthy balance sheet?
Astute question. I can only give you my view.

A football club is a limited company. Where it differs from Tesco or Ford is in it's function. The purpose of Tesco is to make money for it's shareholders. They make money by selling groceries. The purpose of Ford is to make money for their shareholders. Ford make money by selling motor cars. For a football club the purpose is to win football matches. The making of money by astute business is not to reward shareholders as with Ford and Tesco but to facilitate the winning of football matches.

Size matters. The bigger the city the higher a club should be in status. How many FA Cup Finals in the last 50 years do you think haven't had at least one team from Manchester, Liverpool or London in them? (Cardiff v Portsmouth and Leeds v Sunderland are the only two I can think of.) So the bigger the town/city the higher the level it should play at. The Newport urban area is in size between Preston and Swansea. Preston and Swansea is about the level we should aim at. Swansea have continually over-achieved in the Premier League but that is what we should aim for. Accrington, population 32,000 overachieve by being in League 2.

Having finished the last two seasons 90th in League 2, I don't think that is acceptable. Spending 25 years in non league in my view was not acceptable. However Rome was not built in a day. lower mid table and safe in League 2 in late February is acceptable for this season but in my view we must aim so much higher.

My belief, if you want something you find a way, if you don't really want something you find an excuse.
Last edited by Stan A. Einstein on February 23rd, 2018, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:

A football club is a limited company. Where it differs from Tesco or Ford is in it's function. The purpose of Tesco is to make money for it's shareholders. They make money by selling groceries. The purpose of Ford is to make money for their shareholders. Ford make money by selling motor cars. For a football club the purpose is to win football matches. The making of money by astute business is not to reward shareholders as with Ford and Tesco but to facilitate the winning of football matches.

Size matters. The bigger the city the higher a club should be in status. How many FA Cup Finals in the last 50 years do you think haven't had at least one team from Manchester, Liverpool or London in them? (Cardiff v Portsmouth and Leeds v Sunderland are the only two I can think of.) So the bigger the town/city the higher the level it should play at. The Newport urban area is in size between Preston and Swansea. Preston and Swansea is about the level we should aim at. Swansea have continually over-achieved in the Premier League but that is what we should aim for. Accrington, population 32,000 overachieve by being in League 2.

Having finished the last two seasons 90th in League 2, I don't think that is acceptable. Spending 25 years in non league in my view was not acceptable. However Rome was not built in a day. lower mid table and safe in League 2 in late February is acceptable for this season but in my view we must aim so much higher.

My belief, if you want something you find a way, if you don't really want something you find an excuse.

Accrington were in as bad a position as us in 2015. They are over achieving, but at a cost as they have a local benefactor, and we know how that ends! Are you advocating that for us to over achieve, we go into debt again?

Alan G Bryant wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:

Accrington were in as bad a position as us in 2015. They are over achieving, but at a cost as they have a local benefactor, and we know how that ends! Are you advocating that for us to over achieve, we go into debt again?
Interesting. Why having clearly a brain capable of asking an astute question do you choose to ask one so incredibly stupid?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Jimmy Exile wrote:
hi. Is it really a rival organisation?
An academy set up in Newport to find footballers. Charging monies as per the County academy, and passing on any promising players to Bristol City.

Go on Jimmy what do you think? :roll:

From what I read, they are not an Acadamy but will operate at a level below the County Acadamy, therefore hardly a rival organisation. They may even discover young talent to progress to the County Acadamy.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote: The communication is poor, but that does not mean the club is run badly.
That is a fair point. Poor communication is an indicator of a poorly run club but I agree it is not definitive.
Some of Southampton's most successful seasons in the past 10 years came under non-communicative, arguably fan-hating despot Chairman Nicola Cortese, the club was incredibly well-run on the pitch in that period, getting from the bottom of League One with a ten-point deduction to the top 8 in the Premier League in 5 years. Terrible at PR, annoying fans, doing things like wrecking ex-players' houses when renting them, charging car park fees for anyone who wanted to use the club shop, splashing money that wasn't his for ego-driven changes to the training facilities, changing the club colours, banning people for sending critical letters to the local paper, etc.

But bloody great as a functioning unit on the pitch. So I guess it depends what you regard as a poorly run club.

Triangle wrote:Sounds good. The more spots for young kids to develop football skills, football decision making and application in a competitive environment through decent coaching whilst having fun is good for football in Newport. There are limited spots in every program, so the more kids engaged in a good football development environment the better.
I guess that depends how wide-ranging their recruitment is, how efficient their coaching is, and how County might benefit from someone else potentially taking away the best players early on. Private academies are all well and good, but a professional club should always be better placed to get people on board, and when finding good players at the lowest cost possible and selling them at a profit is the only way a club can compete, it's an area we should be guarding closely. (Not that we can do much about it with the EPPP regulations anyway, I mean Southampton managed to get Gareth Bale from Cardiff due to a satellite academy in Bath which was only allowed to begin with because half Southampton's catchment area under the old rules was in the sea, but it's even worse now because much of the geographical restrictions like "2 hours from home" have been removed).

That's an interesting take on it , and sums up what most rational supporters think I would say. We are not brilliantly run, who is if results are not great?, but we are certainly not a badly run club.
It is interesting that Accrington are cited as an example of over achieving, is that because they are a well run club or because their chairman paid off their debts of £1.2m in 2015 and provided £600k of working capital? My guess, based on their crowds is that that working capital has spiralled. Personally I do not think they are over achieving, they are a pack of cards.

It is also Interesting that Andy Holt trimmed the Accrington board down to just five people making key decisions after his take over, we will have 12 next week.